Do you believe your SA could have been prevented?

Do you believe your SA could have been prevented?

• Yes

Votes: 129 52.7%
  • No

Votes: 50 20.4%
  • Unsure

Votes: 66 26.9%

• Total voters

Clown

I could have been a totally different person if the traumatic experience wouldn''t have happenend around 12 years old.. and the dysfunctional family was probably also not very helpfull.. I always got blamed for everything and yelled at and sometimes hit while it even wasn''t my fault.. then I got very angry and that made situation even more worse.. I just think my parents weren''t fit to raise small children they can't handle stress.
and probably sensitivy genetics.. I always had little phobias when i was little .. thought I was choking in my food... I just have always been a thinker for the extreme .. there is no scenario which could ''not'' happen in my mind.

sullyS25

For me concentrating on what could have happened in the past and how things might have been if certain things did or didn't happen is useless and doesn't accomplish anything. Maybe if I wasn't bullied as a child I would be more outgoing but I was so now I have decided to move on and live with and accept the way things are right now.

Clown

Wish I could do that in the future sully , but to much of burden I suffer today because of it
did you get therapy sully to get to that point of accepting ? worse sa is never an accept option for me

Boby

I voted yes.
But it might be genetic, my father is a shy guy but ironically my mother is an extrovert( god damn it she speaks allot and knows so many people) so maybe it isn't genetic...wait maybe shy genes are dominant.

sullyS25

I did get therapy but it actually took finding a spiritual path for me...and when I say spiritual I do not mean religious. Nothing against religion but most people here spiritual and think of religion when that isn't the case with me....I also saw your typical DSM-IV drones that kept me in the mind set of identifying with SA as a defining factor of who I am when that is far from the truth....Dont get me wrong, I got of relief having someone to talk to about my problems but when I left and waited to see them again it was like I was looking for more problems to discuss for the next time or I was unconsciously attracted to the fear. I also stopped looking to alcohol and drugs to temporarily relieve the anxiety...I could not grow when I was constantly using my head and body as a garbage receptacle....Problems kept popping up when I did that.

cocorose

I think about this alot, and really, I don't know the answer but I would lean towards yes. I come from a family of 6 kids. Out of all of us, I know my brother has similar symptoms but I'm not sure if it is as bad for him.

I think about:
1. Why did the rest of my sisters (with the exception of my brother) turn out ok, and I'm the only f*cked up one? (now we all have problems. But I mean this problem in particular)
2. I blame my mother alot, and I guess my father too because he wasn't really 'there' emotionally.. neither was my mother.. but I think if she would have gotten help for me when I got really depressed in high school, then maybe I would have been ok. Or maybe they just could have been there more for me.. but I guess parents learn how to be a parent by how they were raised, and maybe my grandmother was the same way wth my mother. So I guess in that sense I can't really blame her, but at least with my daughter I will sure as hell make sure she doesn't have to go through what I went through. I will look for signs and make sure she is ok.
3. If it is genetic (which I don't know), then it couldn't really have been 'prevented' but I could have at least gotten help for it. To give my parents credit, I guess not alot of people really know about this disorder and I'm sure when I was growing up there was less information then there is now, so maybe they just didn't know what to do. I really don't know.

Last edited:

sahxox

In my case, I think it is a part of a person... one of many parts, which can be brought out to certain extents depending on the environment they're in. Shrinks and grows over different chapters in life.

I think it's something I'll always have, yet I don't want to let it stop me. I think it is "stopping" me when I'm upset by it. If I want new clothes but too scared to go to shops, it is winning. Vice versa, good for me.
It's about learning to live with the monster. Fighting it does not win, we have to be smarter.

jaim38

I don't know. I think part of it is genetic and part of it is environmental. Even when I'm alone, I sometimes find myself feeling shy for no apparent reason (genetic maybe?). But I think environment is the biggest trigger. Going through bullying, harassment, hostility, etc has made me even more scared of people. The environmental factor can be reduced (or maybe eliminated completely?) but the genetic stuff will always be there.