Do single people really have it harder?

FriendlyShadow

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/single-employees-flexibility_l_5d2f8414e4b0419fd32788d3

There seems to be a lot of mixed opinions about whether or not being single is hard for people. Then again, I've heard of some people who've stayed single their whole lives without ever dating, getting married, or having kids.

And here's another thing I've always wondered.... if the time comes when we all grow old and feeble, who can we rely on to take care of us? It doesn't seem like anyone knows.

theoutsider

I think it comes down to the individual. Some people are happier single than they are being married or with a steady partner. Then, of course, there's the "Grass is greener on the other side" syndrome. That's where married people look at singles with admiration and singles look upon married people the same. So the other side always looks better. Personally, I think it's better to stay single until the individual is ready enough to take on the responsibilities of being another person's support. As far as having someone to take care of you when you're older, I think a single person has to make arrangements for that time while they're still young enough (and in sound enough mind) to do so.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
"Grass is greener on the other side" syndrome.

This is something I've found to be true in the past. When I've been single, I felt the need to be out finding a relationship of some sort before it was too late. Then in relationships, I would find myself thinking about all the options I'd eliminated by being in a relationship with someone. Now I just try to focus on the grass I'm on, although its definitely easy to fall into those thinking traps.

And here's another thing I've always wondered.... if the time comes when we all grow old and feeble, who can we rely on to take care of us? It doesn't seem like anyone knows.

That's something I've thought about too, especially on the topic of having kids. I generally have a pretty concrete line of thinking against personally ever becoming a parent, but the on chink in the armor is the idea of being old and alone. Even in a relationship, someone has to die first, and both could have a hard time making by before that. I just see some swindler taking advantage of me and being a homeless 80 year old man. It doesn't make me change the way I feel about having kids, but it makes me quite a bit less enthusiastic about growing old.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
For me it's a double edged sword.

I don't mind being single and the freedom it brings.
I prefer to be partnered though, it's just finding the right one. Life can be so wonderful and different knowing someone is there for you, accepting of who you are just as you are for them.

I will not, I refuse, to be in a relationship just for the sake of being in a relationship though. There's not much worse than being in a relationship with the wrong person.

LoyalXenite

It'd vary person to person, on what they want in life and what they need to feel fulfilled and happy. But science suggests we need some form of close relationships to meet our social requirements and be whole and happy.