Difference Between Social Phobia and Avodant Personality Disorder Defined

Katha

Lol, I don't believe this at all. Your original post is leaving out so many symptoms that are better at differentiating between the two.

HopelessMess

Feel free to enlighten me. I'd love to learn about these "symptoms that are better at differentiating between the two".

Or did you just want to complain?

Last edited:

Quelqu'un

I guess everyone mean't well but the responds was how the disorder effects them so you didn't get a generic answer but personal feelings.

Yes with out a doubt these personal feeling didn't bring you any closer to a answer which is wrong as we are all looking for answers from people who understand.

I found this amazing after years of "why am I like this" It may or may not help but it has the traits of Avpd (sorry about the V)

Avoidant personality disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kind regards Darryl

Thanks so much for this link. I recently realized I had SA, but then I clicked on this APD thread out of curiousity, and now I know I also have APD. So, it's good to know, but now I feel even more f'd up. Great feeling.

But at least now everything makes sense, in terms of how I've acted and felt all my life. Feeling inferior, self-conscious, low self-esteem, highly self-critical, all the negative "selfs," check. I've always procrastinated on every school assignment or anything I was afraid of or didn't really feel like doing, and not out of laziness, but then once I got it over with, realized it wasn't so bad.

Also, I thought driving would be so difficult (and it was in the beginning) and scary, that I put off getting my driver's license until last year, when I was 24. But I'm so happy I have it now. It's so liberating to be able to go wherever you want without depending on anyone, and it's so relaxing to be by myself, listening to great music.

Kinetik

I've always felt that I was far more avoidant than socially anxious, and in my eyes there's a clear difference. Basically, I function okay, I can do everything a normal person can, but grudgingly. I don't feel debilitating fear when around others, and I don't have physical symptoms such as blushing or shaking. I do however experience an awkward, uncomfortable sensation around other people, and a burning desire to get away and be by myself. I hate scrutiny, socializing with strangers, and the feeling of being judged/weighed up in any form or way. I'm fine with family, I'm fine with say, going on vacation, but I'd feel horrible in a regular workplace, for example. I also have zero real-life friends (by my own choice).

So my main problem as far as I can tell, is that I never actually want to get involved in the outside world. I do go out pretty much daily, but if I do, it's because I either have to, or because I feel that it's detrimental to my overall health if I don't. I often dread having to go out to do something long in advance, and the anticipation of having to fulfill an obligation outside of the house can really stress me out. I do as much as I can by myself; I work from home/online, I work out at home, I even cut my own hair.

I read once that people with AvPD feel inferior to others, but the thing is, I don't. In fact, I'm often guilty of feeling that other people are incompetent. Many times my desire to do something alone stems from a feeling of "I know that if I do it, I'll do a good job". I only seem to trust myself to get it right.

So that's just a little insight from someone who feels avoidant but not terribly socially anxious (although I do believe there is at least a little overlap).

Last edited:

Darryl

Quelqu'un and latte:)

I would have a psych diagnose you before you say you have one or the order disorder.;)

AvPD fit the diagnoses of SA, but those with SA do not necessarily meet those of AvPD.

AvPD is more severe form of SA.

Avoidances suffers in different ways, conversation is one.
A person with SA will usually be carefull to avoid long pauses while talking in fear of appearing stupid.

Avoidants speak slowly with long pause, or rapidly and may included rudness or insults ih their speak to get rejecting first.

The avoidant suffer is constantly on the alert for rejection by monitoring body language and attitude to process as much incoming information as possible that they lose track of whats being actually said.

The SA suffer would be focused on how they was feeling.

My pysch gave me a really good explaination of the two, but, typically I started to monitor her conversation and true to form "lost track of what's being said.::eek::

Darryl

I've always felt that I was far more avoidant than socially anxious, and in my eyes there's a clear difference. Basically, I function okay, I can do everything a normal person can, but grudgingly. I don't feel debilitating fear when around others, and I don't have physical symptoms such as blushing or shaking. I do however experience an awkward, uncomfortable sensation around other people, and a burning desire to get away and be by myself. I hate scrutiny, socializing with strangers, and the feeling of being judged/weighed up in any form or way. I'm fine with family, I'm fine with say, going on vacation, but I'd feel horrible in a regular workplace, for example. I also have zero real-life friends (by my own choice).

So my main problem as far as I can tell, is that I never actually want to get involved in the outside world. I do go out pretty much daily, but if I do, it's because I either have to, or because I feel that it's detrimental to my overall health if I don't. I often dread having to go out to do something long in advance, and the anticipation of having to fulfill an obligation outside of the house can really stress me out. I do as much as I can by myself; I work from home/online, I work out at home, I even cut my own hair.

I read once that people with AvPD feel inferior to others, but the thing is, I don't. In fact, I'm often guilty of feeling that other people are incompetent. Many times my desire to do something alone stems from a feeling of "I know that if I do it, I'll do a good job". I only seem to trust myself to get it right.

So that's just a little insight from someone who feels avoidant but not terribly socially anxious (although I do believe there is at least a little overlap).

Hi Kinetic,

Don't think we have spoken before, though I have read alot of your comments.:)

Feeling inferior also applies to SA it's not the difference between the two.
I say this with repect to you.

Darryl

Last edited:

bangdrum

I definitely have APD (and yes, diagnosed). I'm a terminal procrastinator, even for things I like or would expect to like. One of my worst habits is knowing I'll have to get ready to go somewhere in X hours, tell myself I have plenty of time to get ready, then watch TV or go online until JUST about the time when I can barely get ready if I rush and panic (which I obviously then do). I will do this for everything from job interviews (dislike/fear) to meeting a friend I do like or getting ready to go somewhere fun like a concert. I also match a ton of the other stuff on that list (hello fantasy!)...

Jess

Darryl

Hi vj288

You can disagree as much as you like:)

There isn't a lot of people diagnosed with AvPD only 1 to 2.5% of the total population have been diagnosed with Avoidance.
Avoidance is more sever than SA, even the above percentage also shows that.

Think of SA as a trait and Avoidance as your personality.

You'll find alot of people undiagnosed will make an assumption that they have Avoidance, when in fact they have SA.

I agree that when things turn bad it doesn't matter if you suffer from SA or AvPD, but avoidance is more sever being that it is your personality and that's something you take to the grave.

With respect
Darryl

Last edited:

Glumlock

people with APD tend to avoid any sort of interaction, be it with parents, relatives or friends. Social Anxiety creates social awkwardness and fear in social situations. These can often manifest in the form of APD, but are rarely ever as serious. You have to remember the key difference -

APD is a PERSONALITY disorder. It affects your perceptions of reality. Social Anxiety is an Anxiety disorder. Psychologically speaking, you're technically not "mentally ill" if you have an anxiety disorder (in other words you can't be sectioned) - you're "mentally ill" if you have a personality disorder.

And while Social Phobia/Anxiety may be irrational (like many anxieties) you're still "sane" when you suffer from SA

Glumlock

Also.

We all have personality TRAITS of personality disorders. Be it Avoidant or otherwise.

Said personality traits become personality DISORDERS when we're unable to control them or are not consciously aware of them. Someone who has AvPD and can't see a problem with their behaviour is probably worth sectioning.

Put bluntly, if you have Avoidant personality disorder, you need to be receiving therapy, worst case scenario, sectioning. Social Anxiety? in severe cases, counselling, in mild cases, a kick up the backside.

los77

I'm searching the forums instead of starting on an essay I said I would start a couple days ago... I think I might have AvPD since I do this all the time

TheRadicalAnxiousLefty

I once read this explanation of what true Avoidant Personality Disorder(APD) is on another board. I'm not sure where the guy got it from, but I believe it was actually from some Psychologists book. In other words, he didn't just make it up

People with APD differ from social phobics in that social phobics avoid unpleasant SOCIAL situations.

Whereas, people with APD are likely to avoid or procrastinate on ANY unpleasant situation. It could be something as simple as working out or even doing the dishes. Avoidants also tend to try to avoid even thinking about anything unpleasant, preferring to distract themselves with something that prevents their mind from focussing on unpleasant thoughts.

So, if you have SP and frequently find yourself "keeping busy" with some mundane task like watching TV or playing video games to avoid thinking about your social problems, you have a BIT of APD. If you find yourself distracting with these things just to keep from thinking about your general anxiety, or simple slightly unpleasant things like starting a new project, doing some work/homework, etc, then you have full-blown Avoidant Personality Disorder.

I agree with this definition, as I am CONSTANTLY finding ways to distract myself from life: video games, the internet, booze, Facebook, message boards . I'm definitely a true Avoidant.

I just posted this deep in another thread over on the SP board, but to be honest I don't think most people even read several pages into most threads, so I thought I'd run it by my "fellow avoidants".

Does this definition fit for most of you?

Holy cow......that IS ME!!!

Like, EXACTLY!

fitftw

I've got AvPD so bad. I'm 27 and can't even call the school to speak to someone about registering for classes, or calling my landlord to ask about signing a new lease, etc. I choose to block out life and just play videogames and internet all day. It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't want to deal with life. Haven't had a job in 2.5 years.