Dermatillomania

Sacrament

Whenever you feel the urge to pick at your skin, tell yourself out loud that you're not going to do it, and find something to occupy your time and mind.

Stargirl

I've got it too. It's a struggle.

One thing that might stop you from picking is putting vaseline over your scabs where you can.

And try not to put yourself down for not fighting the urge. If 8 hours is the longest you've gone without picking, celebrate and keep trying to go longer! :)

onehandclapping

I used to have a combination of dermatophagia and dermatillomania. I don't get it as much now because I developed trichotillomania, I think my skin picking and biting moved over towards hair pulling, now I seem to have more of a problem with that.

MollyBeGood

I am a wolf bitter and met a fellow wolf bitter here. I don't do it so much anymore thankfully. Definitely an anxiety disorder along with all the other things listed on this thread. I still can't leave my nails alone very well. I have never had a manicure which would be amazing I think...and helpful.

In my experience trichotillomania & these other sensory habits are very much stress-related (& also allergies/chemicals as well can cause it to flare-up, perhaps due to increased stress? who knows)