Depersonalization

WiwerGoch

Has anybody else experienced depersonalization or derealisation? I've been experiencing for years, but only just recently found a name for it. Would love to hear from other people who understand!

Kiwong

I have felt that on several occasions. I lose a sense of self, my name, I have felt a sense of unreality about the hopelessness of my life. This is really who I am? This is really how I live?

EternalIce

I too have experienced this, I think it's related with hyper-self consciousness in regards to the depersonalization, becoming easily able to see yourself and what you are doing from another perspective... I'm sure somehow it can be advantageous, it often just makes me stop whatever i'm doing, in fact embarrassing or not.

The derealisation however I have not really experienced aside from the usual "Is this really happening?" question when something out of the ordinary happens. It is a similar sensation to viewing something totally against the laws of physics happen, triggering a recalculation of life. Or something like post emotional response, as in, not really living, just viewing events unfold.

Disclaimer: These are somewhat independent ideas, and are not guaranteed to be congruent. (I am aware I may not be making sense)