Dependent on other people?

Saga

It's really frustrating.

I feel as if my mood really relates to how much contact I have with other people. Like, for instance, if I don't get to talk to anyone, whether it be online or real life communication, for a day, I end up feeling kind of down. (It's only been a day, surely I shouldn't be affected to this extent, right?) Whereas if I do, I feel happier.

I find it kind of disturbing the way other people seem to be unintentionally controlling the way I feel, overall. It's like I really crave human contact and need it a lot or I start to freak out about being alone in the long-term (unrealistic, I know >.<) or it's my way of helping distract myself from the SA & negative thoughts. I don't really know.

Does anyone else feel this way? I'm not sure if it's the SA in me, or just some weird part of my personality itself. :I

I hope this post makes sense, I'm a little confused by it all myself. o.o

Plan9

I don't think theres any thing wronge with that, humans are social animals and it's in our nature to need that interaction. Social phobia just makes it really hard to get that interaction but does not reduce the need for it.

So I reckon your totally normal in that respect.

squidgee

I can relate to this. It's not just how much contact and social interaction you have either, but also what topics are discussed and whether you actually enjoyed those interactions.

ukmale

As human beings we are a bit like a pack animal we as people crave contact with humans and if we don't get that contact for a set amount of time we all start to feel on a downer

But it is weird I myself prefer contact in small doses preferably online chats its weird talking or meeting people in real life can make me sweaty shaky heart pounding but for me its not all the time I get days where I am off out shopping ect and will just start up a conversation with anyone the next just can't even speak one word

preferably be alone reading a good book watching a tv shows or a movie and I do like to pop online and talk to people sometimes hunting down that conversation as people we need that human contact after a time we start feeling lower and lower to till get that buzz of just talking to someone anyone

Lol maybe there's something wrong with me in the head but for me I prefer my "comfort zone" alone with a good movie or tv show or good book

Unspoken

You say you worry about being alone in the long-term. Are you secure in what you have right now?

jaim38

I feel this way too. When I was living away from home in an unfamiliar city where I practically knew nobody, I got very lonely so I started talking to myself. Even when I was living with my brother, I felT so alone because he wouldn't talk to me or support me.

Its human beings nature to be sociable creatures, as our ancestors depended on it for survival, so its ingrained in us. Solitary individuals would have found it very difficult to hunt and survive on their own in hunter-gatherer times (our longest period of history). So even if you get phobic about certain social situations, a complete lack of interaction also plays on our psyche. Stuck between a rock and a hard place much?

BlueWeepingRose

Yeah I know what you mean..I used to always depend on people about everything. If I had noone to talk too I felt sad and miserable. It was rather bad for me, but overtime I believe I'm more to myself than anything and tend to shut people out without trying too. It's really confusing like you said.

Especially when you have noone to talk too. Days where I'm really down are horrible cause I wish I had someone to talk too but many people won't talk to me. Once you find that one friend or someone who will listen to you and support you, things will get easier on you.

Last edited: