[Deleted for personal reasons]

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Good post. *Gives Puma Thumbs up*

Life's all about perspective, it really is.

I'm inspired by my sig and the person who said it. Too bad, I can't play his voice though.. Bob Ross - The Joy Of Painting - s15-01- Splendor - ?? - ???? - ????

Ja.. that was mentioned and recommended to me by some people here almost exactly a year ago. I went from having almost no art skills at all to being able to paint something. Not great stuff, but much better than I'd thought I could...

So keep putting in the effort and have faith you can do it!

DarkPhoenix

Very interesting post, and you're right, the only thing holding us back from what we desire in life isn't other people but our own negative attitudes. Thank you for this healthy dose of positivity! :)

That's a nice theory, but I am afraid I couldn't be a waitress for example, or plenty of other jobs. Even if I wanted, I would be such an awkward fool that I'd be fired before I'd even had a chance to try.

I get that you're afraid that that will happen, but that's sort of the point I'm trying to make. By saying such thing as ''I can't be a waitress because I'm a awkward fool'' you've already deprived yourself from giving yourself the chance, and degraded yourself all in the same sentence. You're not a fool, you have a phobia. That's very different. By saying to yourself that you're going to be fired, you'll believe it. While there no solid reason to believe that.

Though, I get what you're saying. I too am too awkward and afraid to hold down any job. But, that's not necessary a limit, it is merely a barrier. If you're really too awkward to be a waitress (or whatever) at the moment, then you deal with the 'being awkward' part first. There's nothing wrong with taking various small steps. As long they're positive ones.

You climb a mountain by climbing it, not by trying to jump over it. If you know what I'm saying. :3

Last edited:

Seasons

I think chasing perfection (only as it the best and not the worst) is the very reason why I am unable to feel happy. Things can be OK, but they are not perfect. It is exhausting. If I see a way that something about me or my life or what I do (especially what I do) could be better, than suddenly the present reality becomes terrible.
So even if I strongly agree with your post I don't know how to absorb its meaning fully and truly (sad).

philly2bits

While I don't disagree with you that attitude is a major factor, it's far from enough. To use the mountain analogy again, you still need the proper equipment to climb it. If you were to tell even the most experienced mountain climber to scale a mountain without the right gear I'm sure their attitude would change dramatically.

Although I can't speak for others, my attitude is based more on a lack of mental equipment rather then the mountain being too big.

While I don't disagree with you that attitude is a major factor, it's far from enough. To use the mountain analogy again, you still need the proper equipment to climb it. If you were to tell even the most experienced mountain climber to scale a mountain without the right gear I'm sure their attitude would change dramatically.

Although I can't speak for others, my attitude is based more on a lack of mental equipment rather then the mountain being too big.

I totally agree with this^!

While your post is very inspiring puma, and its great to read people's positive posts, my problem has always been not the lack of desire to give things a go, but the difficulties that arise from not possessing the internal abilities necessary to achieve what i am trying to achieve!::eek::

I see where you're coming from, and how my phrasing could have been misguiding. And I agree that just a positive attitude won't fix all, other things will be required as well.

The attitude is merely meant to motivate someone to take those actions they deem necessary for personal improvement (big and little as they may be). I'm merely trying to say that it's not beneficial to talk down upon yourself/a situation when it isn't called for, because it makes matters worse then they have to be. I'm not say that one should not be negative, I'm saying one should not be overly negative.

The mountain analogy was meant to go with what I said right before that, about taking various small positive steps. If the mountain can't be climbed right away, then concentrate on the equipment first.

Last edited:

coyote

I totally agree with this^!

While your post is very inspiring puma, and its great to read people's positive posts, my problem has always been not the lack of desire to give things a go, but the difficulties that arise from not possessing the internal abilities necessary to achieve what i am trying to achieve!::eek::

but do you truly NOT possess them, or do you simply believe that you don't?

if someone wants to climb the mountain and doesn't have the equipment, he goes out and gets the equipment, he doesn't just sit there and say "I can't climb the mountain."

it all starts with wanting to climb in the first place

if you don't want to climb - then don't - that's cool, too

but if you do want to - don't let yourself hold you back

but do you truly NOT possess them, or do you simply believe that you don't?

if someone wants to climb the mountain and doesn't have the equipment, he goes out and gets the equipment, he doesn't just sit there and say "I can't climb the mountain."

it all starts with wanting to climb in the first place

if you don't want to climb - then don't - that's cool, too

but if you do want to - don't let yourself hold you back

When I was young, yes i told myself that i did not have the ability to do things.
However now i am now old enough to know when it is just negative thinking or i don't actually possess the ability to "get" what is needed.
When they invent a way to alter a person's IQ (intellectual limitations) they were born with let me know. Not everyone is born with the intellect to become a Physicist.:)

ps. I have never had a problem with "wanting" to climb the mountain.

coyote

When I was young, yes i told myself that i did not have the ability to do things.
However now i am now old enough to know when it is just negative thinking or i don't actually possess the ability to "get" what is needed.
When they invent a way to alter a person's IQ (intellectual limitations) they were born with let me know. Not everyone is born with the intellect to become a Physicist.:)

ps. I have never had a problem with "wanting" to climb the mountain.

maybe you just haven't found the right mountain yet

philly2bits

The attitude is merely meant to motivate someone to take those actions they deem necessary for personal improvement (big and little as they may be). I'm merely trying to say that it's not beneficial to talk down upon yourself/a situation when it isn't called for, because it makes matters worse then they have to be. I'm not say that one should not be negative, I'm saying one should not be overly negative.

I agree with you there. Self flagellation is never constructive. Although for some (especially those with depression) negative thoughts are about as easy to stop as a train.