Could we add a new forum?

dottie

could we add a new forum? or maybe a few? i'd like to see a board specifically for people with social phobia/anxiety in their 30s. maybe there could be one for teens, 20s, then 40s and up. people in their 30s face completely different social expectations and challenges than people in their teens so it would be nice to have a designated area to find people to especially relate.

Lea

Banned
Interesting idea.

The majority of people here seem to be teens - twenties. I sometimes wonder, where are the older socphobic. Did they get better with time, grew out of it, did they commit suicides or are too bitter or busy or wise enough not to waste/spend their time on forums like this? I wonder, where the younger people on here will be when they are 30-40.. will they still be here?

Errordotocx

I wonder, where the younger people on here will be when they are 30-40.. will they still be here?

It really depends on if these forums stay around and keep in existence and I would imagine it depends on how much of an impact the forums have had on that person. There are some other forums i'm signed up to...(has noting to do with these fourms)... in which i've been a member of since I was 13, i'm 21 now. Plus I guess it depends on whats going on in their lives as well.

Errordotocx

I'm sorry, and I don't mean to be hostile. But I don't believe in any of that 2012 bullshit. A lot of my friends talk about it and how it's going to really happen and I think it's just ridiculous. Life is becoming too good to believe everything is going to end.

No hostility there, just had to get that out there LOL. ;)

dottie

I've noticed quite a few older people (30+) over at the Social Anxiety Support forum. Not to down play it over here, but that seems to be the general hang out for SAer's of that particular age group.

thanks for the heads up i'll check it out

Lea

Banned
I'm sorry, and I don't mean to be hostile. But I don't believe in any of that 2012 bullshit. A lot of my friends talk about it and how it's going to really happen and I think it's just ridiculous. Life is becoming too good to believe everything is going to end.

No hostility there, just had to get that out there LOL. ;)

I was just kidding, but I wouldn´t say it´s bullshit either. There is something in the mayan calendar, something might happen, though not literally the end of the world. Btw. the mayan calendar says something like the time would speed up in the nineties, which could be the introduction of internet.

rado31

I was just kidding, but I wouldn´t say it´s bullshit either. There is something in the mayan calendar, something might happen, though not literally the end of the world. Btw. the mayan calendar says something like the time would speed up in the nineties, which could be the introduction of internet.

I have heard of mayan calendar and speed up of the world , have you all noticed it?

But 2012 seemes too far away. Why doesnt it collapse...right .. about ...nnhhhh

Doomed2Die

I'm half sure I saw an Aspergers section on other SA sites, it's very common for people with it to develope SA.

An expanded off-topic section would be pretty cool too.

(2012 sure is shaping up to be so I think, very soon anyway)

Hurricanes

Yeah, I think it would be a good idea to split the 'recent threads' box on the home page into 2 halves: The top half for relevant topics, and the bottom half for off-topic. The off-topic needs more exposure, but i think it would be a mistake to mix those threads with the SA threads on the homepage, so splitting seems the way to go. It would be healthier to have more discussion about other stuff.

Yeah, I agree with you. I kind of don't like how it's like all about social phobia, because sometimes that gets depressing, or even annoying. I like the idea of more off topic things.

Nabu

could we add a new forum? or maybe a few? i'd like to see a board specifically for people with social phobia/anxiety in their 30s. maybe there could be one for teens, 20s, then 40s and up. people in their 30s face completely different social expectations and challenges than people in their teens so it would be nice to have a designated area to find people to especially relate.

I'm 30+ so I'm curious what kind of different social expectations you mean.
more things I have to fear for ?
Nabu

Havocan

I'm scheduled at the moment to being working after completing my education in 2012. They can't end the world!

On topic: I think it's fine as it is, since there's the opportunity for people in their 30s, 40s and so on to create threads unique to those of their own age, hence the fact that this is a forum for everyone, no matter what age, as long as they've got SA. Besides, children {teens, people in their 20s} could always learn a lot from adults {30s ++++}.

Riiya

A common thing I hear is that the teens/early 20s is the hardest stage for most.

Yes, we tend to take ourselves too seriously at our age.

Lea said:
Did they get better with time, grew out of it, did they commit suicides or are too bitter or busy or wise enough not to waste/spend their time on forums like this? I wonder, where the younger people on here will be when they are 30-40.. will they still be here?

I don't really see myself being on this forum in my 30s, if that's what you're asking. I'm still going to use the internet like it's nobody's business, but I'm probably going to be more interested in things like golf, bowling, and bingo than in social phobia.

I don't really see myself being on this forum in my 30s, if that's what you're asking. I'm still going to use the internet like it's nobody's business, but I'm probably going to be more interested in things like golf, bowling, and bingo than in social phobia.

No offense, but, you're making 30 sound like 60. Not that young people can't be interested in these things, because some certainly are, but this combination just made me lol- or maybe you meant it as a joke.:)

Riiya

No offense, but, you're making 30 sound like 60. Not that young people can't be interested in these things, because some certainly are, but this combination just made me lol- or maybe you meant it as a joke.:)

Well, I am interested in those things now.

Lea

Banned

Ha, SP is not just a hobby to leave it aside when we had enough... But it´s true it doesn´t mean a necessity to be on this forum. On the contrary even healthy people can be here regulary, because it´s just interesting and one can learn a lot about people and their psychology.

Well, I am interested in those things now.

Yeah- I didn't mean any offense, those things are just the typical "retirement" type activities. I myself have bowled on a few leagues (I work at a bowling center) and played bingo years ago with a friend of mine at the time (we were both early 20s). I don't have much of an interest in golf personally, but I have known plenty of other young people who do.

Ha, SP is not just a hobby to leave it aside when we had enough... But it´s true it doesn´t mean a necessity to be on this forum. On the contrary even healthy people can be here regulary, because it´s just interesting and one can learn a lot about people and their psychology.

I wish it were just a hobby that I could drop- but even if I (or anyone else here) found a way out of it or got past it at a certain point, I could see myself posting just to give advice and relate my past experiences and maybe give some encouragement.