Conversational problems

Bronson99

This is about the internet. It's no secret i sometimes have problems with articulation (getting my thoughts across clearly.) But I also have trouble reading signals others may be sending.

One thing that continues to happen every so often, is if I have 1-on-1 conversation with someone and the whole time they respond with only 1-3 lines. I'm not sure if that is because 1) that is their style or 2) they want me to stop communicating with them, but are too polite to say so.

If I want to get to know someone better (isn't that the point of a lot of this, to make friends? and you can't make friends if you don't know anyone).. I've always found that asking questions and showing curiousity helps. I'm not sure if there is another way... is there? If so, please tell me, because I'm not aware of it.

I'm banging my head against the wall here because people are misinterpreting my natural style of communication. Twice recently, I've been insulted for it, and I did nothing wrong.

Last edited:
As I see it, you will always come encounter people who have a different perspective on a topic to you. We are all vastly different and have different ways of looking at things in life.
Try and not take someone expressing a different perspective on a topic personally. It is unfortunate that some people will ram their opinion down your throat and make what there saying sound like an insult, but there is nothing we can do about that.
That's just how I think of it.:idontknow:

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
I listen intently and rely heavily on cliches.

It can sometimes get embarrassing because I'll string two or three of them together, but it's better than screaming and running away because I'm too self-conscious to articulate my thoughts.
thUhhh_smiley.gif

jaim38

I have encountered this in real life as well, but try not to take it personally. If the person isn't interested in being friends with me, it's ok because there are billions more potential friends out there.

If I want to get to know someone better (isn't that the point of a lot of this, to make friends? and you can't make friends if you don't know anyone).. I've always found that asking questions and showing curiousity helps.

That's what I do too, but some people might not be willing to open up on sensitive topics.

Bronson99

I have encountered this in real life as well, but try not to take it personally. If the person isn't interested in being friends with me, it's ok because there are billions more potential friends out there.

That's what I do too, but some people might not be willing to open up on sensitive topics.

This.. you seem to get it pretty well. In this most recent case I was not discussing sensitive topics. I was just asking normal questions, the person would reply with 1-3 lines and usually not ask a question back. At a certain point I was made to feel self-conscious about asking basic questions. Okay so I'm oversensitive, but that kinda hurt because I wasn't doing anything wrong.. just using my natural mode of communication. I'm not sure what else I was supposed to be doing..?

One possibility may be to provide information about my own personal life--telling instead of asking--but I wasn't sure they were interested.

Last edited:
This.. you seem to get it pretty well. In this most recent case I was not discussing sensitive topics. I was just asking normal questions, the person would reply with 1-3 lines and usually not ask a question back. At a certain point I was made to feel self-conscious about asking basic questions. Okay so I'm oversensitive, but that kinda hurt because I wasn't doing anything wrong.. just using my natural mode of communication. I'm not sure what else I was supposed to be doing..?

One possibility may be to provide information about my own personal life--telling instead of asking--but I wasn't sure they were interested.

This is... interesting.

I started off asking you questions too after you sent me a message, but yes it just seemed to turn into "20 Questions" and often in an interaction something will spark a conversation or it won't. I mean... not sure how what I said was an insult, I was just being honest in how the interaction was making me feel. If that's too much... I don't know?

Really didn't expect this but yeah maybe giving more information about yourself would help and if it doesn't seem like it's going anywhere, move on to someone who seems more receptive if that seems to be the issue?

Kiwong

I think when I worry about internet posts and responses, or lack of a response it is time for break from it.