Consoling people

Harleyq

Anybody else have problems with this? I always feel weird when people talk to me about their problems (unless they're angry about something) or start breaking down in front of me. On one hand, I really like and want people to confide in me but then I never know what to say to make them feel better so I just end up staring at them or saying something lame like "I'm sorry" or "..yeah...". I always feel like what I really have to say won't be taken seriously and they'll be thinking "You're just saying that, you don't really mean it." The right feelings are there, I just can't verbalize them. And sometimes I want to ask questions so I can understand the situation better and offer something useful but I get scared to cause I don't wanna come across as nosy and prying.

I was just thinking about that lately cause since I've joined SPW, I've come across at least a few threads where I felt the desire to offer some kind textual comfort but I got insecure.

Noca

Banned
My new friend just lost his friend to an OD 2 days ago. I have trouble consoling him and his friends too. Don't really know what to say...

Anomaly

I often suppress myself in fear of saying something that can be taken the wrong way. It's happened before and I'm very careful to avoid it. I can never say what I really think save for one person. For everyone else, I would cause more problems by opening my mouth - it's just not worth it.

I always used to listen but nowadays I am tired of hearing peoples problems.
I do however still hear but not not care. It sounds mean when I say this
but I have my own problems. I have also noticed by experience that
those same people do not care when I have problems of my own.

recluse

I suck at it. I have no idea what to say to make people feel better and because i have very little life experience i have no clue if someone asks for advice.

My nightmare scenario would be if someone was on a bridge threatening to jump.....What would i say to talk them out of it?!

zlench

I ain't great at it because I'm not really a supportive person who is going to feel sorry for people when they tell me about there problems. The answer that I always use is to move on and get over it.

Harleyq

I am very good at listening, realistically analyzing the person's situation and then giving a very objective and non-biased advise which often is not what the other person really wants to hear at that certain occasion.

This is how I am as well. My first instinct is to tell them a way to solve their problems or what might be causing it. However, a lot of the times, people aren't coming for advice, they're coming for a shoulder to cry on/lean against. I know I get annoyed/feel worse when I come to people for emotional comfort and everybody just HAS to put their 2 cents in instead of just listening to me and letting me get my emotions out. I guess cause most of the time I get interrupted before I even finish my statements and then sometimes I end up trying to defend myself and finish what I was saying instead of actually confiding. Logical advice isn't really good during the heat of an emotional breakdown - no point in telling it when the person isn't ready to listen to it. So then I'm left with nothing to say ::(:

Lonelykitsune

People rarly look to me to console them but if thy did id probably would not be able to think of anything to say and could only listen

Anybody else have problems with this? I always feel weird when people talk to me about their problems (unless they're angry about something) or start breaking down in front of me. On one hand, I really like and want people to confide in me but then I never know what to say to make them feel better so I just end up staring at them or saying something lame like "I'm sorry" or "..yeah...". I always feel like what I really have to say won't be taken seriously and they'll be thinking "You're just saying that, you don't really mean it." The right feelings are there, I just can't verbalize them. And sometimes I want to ask questions so I can understand the situation better and offer something useful but I get scared to cause I don't wanna come across as nosy and prying.

I was just thinking about that lately cause since I've joined SPW, I've come across at least a few threads where I felt the desire to offer some kind textual comfort but I got insecure.
the same thing.... u know what, but can't verbalize...

limetree

I don't want to come across hypocritical or disingenuous either when I empathise or want to understand more about what someone is feeling. I would say I feel less awkward when someone talks to me about their problems than when they try to make small talk or joke around with me though. I usually feel incapable of reciprocating an adequate level of enthusiasm, especially when they ebulliently proceed to pounce on the next person who comes along about their latest preoccupation. It probably has nothing tot do with me since they'd be willing to tell anyone who'd listen but it can irrationally still feel like rejection when they move on.

Since I spend more time in "darker moods," my subdued energy is more fitting for quiet, empathic discussions. People might feel like they're enabling a person's negative emotions by not offering immediate solutions but you just gotta have patience. If someone is emotionally worked up they're not in a rational state of mind to listen but you can always approach them later. Sometimes the best thing you can do for someone is to let them learn from their mistakes while still being there for them without saying "I told you so" when they eventually realise you were right.

Recently an acquaintance of mine was posting suicidal blogs and facebook updates so I decided to say something even though I worried that it might make him feel worse. He told me afterwards on msn that be appreciated my comments and I wasn't coming across too nosy since he was posting his shit for everyone to see.
If someone acts blatantly sulky the last thing they probably want is to be ignored. Because most people find it uncomfortable talking about heavy topics I usually come to the conclusion that someone has to do it or else we'd feel more alienated from each other. Even though I may not be able to give good advice, mirroring someone's sadness and sharing your own experience if you relate can help without coming across too overbearing like Dr Phil. Sometimes people just need to feel that they're safe and being heard. We SA sufferers might be more sensitive than most, so we can learn to use that as an asset.

Even if someone says they want you to back off, chances are they'd also say that to someone else who was prying and isn't a close confidant. I know I'm not a pushy person against anyone's will so there's no point in trying to read the minds of passive-aggressive people when you're just trying to help. Sometimes you have to step on a few toes in order to work out where the boundaries are and that's okay.