Coming Clean

Uber Schnitzel

I'm just curious as to how open other people are with this condition. Do you tell people (friends/family/partners etc)? Or do you cover it up? If you're open about it how do other people react? How about employers? I've only ever told serious girlfriends about it (it was hard to avoid) but none of my friends or even my own family. To be honest I've grown tired of having this secret and having to spend my life trying to "cover my tracks" as it where, part of me is worried how people who i've known will react. Any thoughts/ideas?

Jezza

Generally I don't tell them...Mainly because most people are unable to really understand even when you tell them, so there would be a lot of false assumptions and it could completely change the dynamic of the friendship you have with others.

That said, 2 good friends of mine who I trusted enough not to be too weird about it know I have HH...but even then I haven't explained anything else to them except yeah, I have HH, it's a medical condition, that's why my hands are sweating. It has been a mute issue since and that's the way I want it to be. I don't need anyone trying to check out my HH all the time when we're going out or anything, and with some people you just know that's what would happen (even if they are you're friends).

I have been thinking about telling more of my friends about the HH, but at the end of the day, it doesn't really help the real problem (HH) and creates a lot of weirdness I don't need.

As for jobs (where it's more of a rational business decision); it's kind of a double edged sword...in some cases you might be able to spin it as an advantage (look, I have had HH all this time and I'm still here) but sometimes it might also be a disadvantage (illness isn't something most 'robot' interviewers are looking for, in the cold hard real world). I guess it depends on how you think they will regard HH, and how it would apperently affect your ability to do the job (obviously, some things like sales etc will be tough). If you're thinking about an ethical dilemma; I don't think there is any duty to tell them, as long as the medical community refuses to see this as a real problem...

Last edited:

Shift

Edit: I just realized this was in the Hyperhidrosis, not the Social Anxiety forum....

Last edited:

Walk

I think it's more difficult to "cover up" when you're young, like in your teens. You just feel so much pressure to be a social, outgoing person at that age and you don't want to let your family know it's the opposite.

As I get older, the pressure of being so outgoing is much lower. Life is more about the 9-5 and school, etc. And of course, as you get older, you also mature mentally, so it definitely gets easier to talk about it. But it's never easy.

If I'm talking to someone I trust, I just tell them that I've never been able to make friends easily in high school and that I'm am not outgoing enough, mainly due to personal issues. Just like that. I've only told like two people this, so I don't have a lot of experience, but they were actually much more understanding than I thought. You can't please everyone in life, so screw it.

Uber Schnitzel

so there would be a lot of false assumptions and it could completely change the dynamic of the friendship you have with others.

I have been thinking about telling more of my friends about the HH, but at the end of the day, it doesn't really help the real problem (HH) and creates a lot of weirdness I don't need.

Yeah that's one of the things that I've been worried about. I have pretty good friends so it's not like they'd abandon me if they knew about it, it's just the weirdness and possibly being treated different that I could do without

Though I know being open won't help the actual causes of the condition, I'm so tired from all the energy required to cover this up, avoid certain situations and the excuses this condition (seemingly) requires. I was also just thinking about how things would have been if I'd been open about this from the start.

As for jobs (where it's more of a rational business decision); it's kind of a double edged sword...in some cases you might be able to spin it as an advantage (look, I have had HH all this time and I'm still here) but sometimes it might also be a disadvantage (illness isn't something most 'robot' interviewers are looking for, in the cold hard real world). I guess it depends on how you think they will regard HH, and how it would apperently affect your ability to do the job (obviously, some things like sales etc will be tough). If you're thinking about an ethical dilemma; I don't think there is any duty to tell them, as long as the medical community refuses to see this as a real problem...

Maybe from now on I'll disclose this to employers. I had a job interview today and I spent the whole thing worrying about whether or not the interviewer was gonna shake my hand at the end rather than what I should have been thinking about - my answers to the questions. As a result I totally messed up all my pre-prepared answers. It shouldn't be this difficult.

sullyS1985

most of my friends dont know and i am trying to change that but i really dont have many friends to tell. My room mate knows but i dont think he really understands it but whatever. My mom and step dad are aware that i take meds for social anxiety but i dont think they understand what it entails. I once told my friend that i thought was a good enough friend and the next day he rubbed it in my face in front of 2 other friends so i havent had a good experience with it and there needs to be a lot of trust and the people i tell have to be willing to let me explain it in order for me to do so. Another time i told someone and they were like "ya Sean it is called being shy" so i am selective about who i tell. I know i come off as the weird quiet guy around people i dont know which blows but i guess i am working on that.

teandtoast

Ive told my parents about it but not anyone else...not my friends or brothers or sister etc
made it alot easier when my parents knew as they could understand why was depressed alot.
I mainly talk to my mum about it and not so much my dad and find embarassing to talk to him about it ...only really talk about it though with regards to hospital appts and operation organising etc

margiehope

Depends on what type of HH you have as to whether you CAN keep it a secret. I had cranio-facial HH, so the dripping hair and sweat popping off my face kind of gave it away. I just noticed that I said I "had" HH--still do, but it's well-controlled with meds.

dougy

Remember this is the Hyperhidrosis forum...not the Social Anxiety forum or anything else. This is a separate section on the forum.

This is for people with Hyperhidrosis who can share and help people suffering from the same condition. Sharing your thoughts about something that is not Hyperhidrosis in here is inappropriate and irrelevant.

Sorry to be crude, but I just find it pointless to read posts that aren't even relevant.

Please read what forum you are in..

Uber Schnitzel

Thanks for the replies guys. The good news is, I don't know how I managed to but I actually got the job. The bad news is now all the covering up, constant changing of t-shirts and the finding of creative ways not to shake hands begins :rolleyes:

Broch

I don't tell people unless they are really close to me, and that's usually only because they are around me enough to notice anyways. Even though they know, it's something I prefer not to discuss at all, because they never see what the "problem" is. They're idea of offering solutions is to "deal with it."

beckiboo

Ive told my family, they didnt understand what the big problem was at first but when I showed them information on it and told them how it affects day to day life they realised why it was making me upset and theyre so supportive-always giving me advice so I would advise that being open with your family is the best way, they love you no matter what so you shouldnt have to hide it from them.
Ive also obviously told my partner about it, hes fine with it and its a relief to know someone can take you for who you are!
There are a few close friends who I know wouldnt take the piss who have also been told, and through this I found out one girlfriend also suffers with it and has been hiding it better than me!! shes now wanting to try the home-made ionto machine like I made to see if she has any luck with it too =)

so id say be open with it with people who are close to you, you will be surprised how un-phased most people are..and how supportive the people who really care about you will be!

Barra79

I'm the same, i havnt told my family, i dont know if thats coz i dont wanna accept the problem myself, i try to act as normal as possible, they just think i'm anti-social, iv told 2 ex girlfreinds, i find it hard trying to explain it, i hate peoples reaction to it, like its just an attitude problem that i have

Weirdo

I never told anyone and thanks to that, now I'm a socially awkward recluse, yay! On the other hand I have a female friend who I'm pretty sure has it too(on hands, like me) and she's a social butterfly...like she doesn't mind it at all, I don't get it... I never talked to her about it though because that would be too awkward for me.

blabla

Ah, everyone I know knows that I have hh. I mean everyone! :) I feel better when I just come out, make a couple of jokes and be done with it. Never told any boyfriend though :/ Really really wish I had the balls to that.

Mr_Drips

All my close friends know I have it, because every summer when I skateboard hard, I sweat more than anyone! I just become drenched in sweat, and have to change shirts...haha. My family also knows I have it, but other than that, I keep it too myself. No one needs to know...

Noca

Banned
I haven't told my anyone but my parents and my friends with mental illnesses, havent even told my best friend of 18+ years.