College...help

Unfunny64

I am barely starting college but I am nervous and I really don't know what to do.
I am nervous about the assignments/exams...are they difficult? I need some advice that can help...

EitherOr

Hey, remember how you felt when you first started high school? It's the same thing. In another week, you won't feel worried at all, and it'll all be second nature.

There's a little bit of a learning curve, but take good notes and you'll be just fine. And if you're one of those folks who doesn't do the readings or homework, do them!

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Just my opinion but I think the only way to succeed in college or university when you have social phobia is, do what you have to do, DON'T skip classes because of anxiety because it will create more anxiety, do all the works, don't escape the team work because it won't work, and find yourself a place where you can recharge alone between classes (like a park or move close to the school).

Phoenixx

^ I agree, those are both excellent points. Definitely don't skip class due to anxiety. I did that a couple times with my Digital Art class last semester on the days of critique and it just made me even more nervous in the long run. You may feel slightly better about not being there at first, but once you realize you have to make up for it no matter what, it's just not worth it. So unless you're really sick, go to class.

This is my second to last semester of college and I still get extremely nervous the first two weeks. After the third week though I feel much better, even though my anxiety is still there.

I know this is hard, but one thing you should really try is challenging yourself. Rather than scoping out spots to sit alone, scope out the more social spots on campus. Don't be afraid to sit alone or eat alone. In college, a lot of people don't care anymore. It's not like high school, no one is going to single you out for eating by yourself, or reading by yourself, or just sitting by yourself. If anything, a couple people may randomly come by and talk or just sit with/near you.

Courses aren't too bad as long as you actually put forth the effort and work. Sometimes though you will struggle, even if you're a straight-A student, and that's okay. If you are struggling with a course, please don't be afraid to go to an academic center to get help. Get in touch with a tutor to help you, or go even further and sign up for a study group.

I'm just starting to realize all these things now, and it has taken me a year to finally put all the pieces together. It's harder with SA, but this semester I'm pushing myself a lot more than I did last semester and the semester before that. (before I transferred schools) I feel better because of it too, so I encourage you to do the same. :)

Lonelykitsune

Ugh, I'm in the same boat as you OP.

I've moved hours away from home to a place I know nobody. I don't really get yet how your actually meant to do work other than 'Don't plagarise'. Christ next week will be tough. Havn't even picked my modules yet.

Just try and go to lectures and tutorials I guess. My college has lots of helpers at the minute who show first years what to do and where to go etc. Maybe, if your place has one, make use of writing centres.

nikkixo

just do your homework, go over your notes every day, don't wait until the last minute to study for a big exam, go to class, and don't procrastinate and you'll do fine.