Cigarettes

sketchy24

Smoking does nothing. It may relieve a wee bit of stress for a couple minutes but thats it. And they're bad for you... and you walk around smelling like ya, an ash tray.

This one guy at work smokes all the time and I can tell when he's around before I even see him, the smell is so strong.

Darkened

Start smoking is not the answer for a single problem. :wink: Maybe for the problem of having too much money. :lol:

xSleepy

I used to smoke. But recently I stoped cause I noticed it just make me anxious. It also made me a bit dizzy... but for some reason I liked that dizzy feeling :roll:

So I dont really think its a good idea. But its totally up to you.

celestialrecluse

SleepingBeauty the dizzy feeling is what we call a niccy rush!lols!

i do smoke, but in no way would i condone smoking just because of your SA, i've been smoking on and off for 4 years, i stopped taking my meds and started smoking again due to boredom. sitting outside having a cig made me take my mind off things, i dont think personally that nicotine helps any disorder, it just takes your mind off of things for a few minutes.

Fairy001

Oh please, no one start smoking. eighteen months ago I lost my Dad to lung cancer, it is a terrible disease.

Smoking is highly addictive and will have little, or most likely NO impact on SA. Smoking has no physical or theraputic value. And it IS a killer, not in a way anyone would want to die.

Peace xxx

distracted

I've been smoking approx' as long as I've suffered from SA (over half my life), and so I'd say it doesn't help any. Not for me any way. All those nasty chemicals are ultimately going to have a bad effect on your health one way or another. If there be any possible benefit, I'd say it's not worth sacrificing yourself in so many other ways.

Actually, I find the reverse to be true. On those rare occasions when I wake up feeling emotionally healthy, and then light up a cigarette, as the nicotine floods my system, it has a depressive effect on my mood. I actually think quitting smoking would reduce my social anxiety.

asubscriber99

SA is a disease, a wrong "wiring" in your mind, many people find it difficult to understand psychological disorders, "I don't understand how he thinks like that and i don't?" is the common comment.

to help with SA you need to take medications, smoking on the other hand is an established cause of anxiety, and given that SA is a kind of anxiety disorder, i don't see how it can benefit you.

if you don't want medication, there's another way. we call it "behavioral therapy", you can see a doctor, who tries to help you get insight into your disease, and how to overcome it.

final solution which i'm trying to do, is self behavioral therapy. and i'm reading a couple of books nowadays, i'd tell u when i finish them my opinion.

Danfalc

Banned
Fairy001 said:
Oh please, no one start smoking. eighteen months ago I lost my Dad to lung cancer, it is a terrible disease.

Smoking is highly addictive and will have little, or most likely NO impact on SA. Smoking has no physical or theraputic value. And it IS a killer, not in a way anyone would want to die.

Peace xxx

Aw sorry to hear that fairy :( *hugs* But yeah smoking isnt a good idea.. i started when i was like 12 and im on like 20 a day now and cant stop.I thought it was cool at the time :roll: But wish i never started... ciggies are actualy a stimulant so will increase your anxiety.Not to mention gives you gum diseses ect ect

Fairy001

Thanks Danfalc, and yes very good point, it does mess up your gums also.

If ANYONE is seriously considering smoking, please PM me, I will tell you in graphic detail how my Dad died. I can assure you, it will make you reconsider.

Peace xxx

recluse

Smoking does not cure anxiety just think about it...People who smoke get anxious if they need a cigarette and you don't need that on top of your social anxiety.

Good points of smoking = nothing

bad points of smoking = Lung cancer, oral cancer, premature ageing of the skin, yellow fingers, stained teeth, bad breath, expense, impotence, having to go outside in all weathers to smoke in public...........The list goes on and on.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad fairy.

Tobacco does not help me with my anxiety, nor have I seen any studies indicating such or even heard any anecdotes about it. Conclusion: whoever told you that is a dumbass.

cigs

It’s not accurate to say there’s NOTHING good about smoking. If there were, nobody would smoke. There’s nothing good about eating raw sewage and so nobody does it…

Good things about smoking are:

It makes you look cool thereby temporarily boosting your self-esteem
It tastes good
It helps you relax

These are all true and are good things. However, the bad far outweighs the good. Unfortunately for young people the bad effects are so far off in the distance it seems to them that the good outweighs the bad. Personally, I enjoy smoking but I really wish I never started because I’m an addict and I can’t stop. Young people reading this—for once listen to the older among us and don’t start. Hell yeah it helps you fit in and makes you look punk rock/tough/European chic/etc. but once you start you can’t stop. The least you can do is keep an eye on how much you smoke and moderate it as best you can so you don’t get too hooked.

jamez

I smoke but I don't recommend it. I feel it's very relaxing for me and it's good to fit in during breaks at school or work. It's also awesome when you been drinking as well.

The bad? Well we all know about the bad side, it's advertised frequently and warnings are on every cigarette pack.