Challenges in Learning

nicole1

I've found it quite difficult to learn certain things if there are other people required to achieve success in the subject. Like languages. I know a lot of things in Spanish but without speaking with someone, I can't truly become fluent, which is my goal. :sad:

I've joined forums and was unsuccessful. I know the other thing required of me is to actually like to talk with people and knowing what to talk about.

Is there any way to get around this? Especially to those who are polyglots, if you have any further advice for learning with Social Anxiety.

Ithior

I learned English by watching movies and tv series (at first with portuguese subtitles, eventually changed to english subtitles), listening to music and reading stuff on the internet/participating in forums. I had mandatory English classes for 9 years, but after the first two or three I was always way ahead of class. I didn't speak much in English (not even in classes, I was always the quiet type), and yet I learned it pretty well. My accent isn't the best though, when I'm talking to myself it sounds perfectly fine but when I'm talking to others it sounds like a russian accent.

You should try thinking and talking to yourself in Spanish, as often as you can. I for example think in English even though my native language is Portuguese, and I talk to myself in English as well. If you don't know how to say something, look it up.

nicole1

Thanks for the tips. I was doing quite well until panic attacks. But I'm not going to stop learning. I just have to find a different way to do so. It's fun either way and helpful to know more than one language.

nicole1

I love Duolingo. I didn't like Livemocha as much. Duolingo though makes it...easy. Set your own pace, retain more words, practice made simple to be a part of daily life.

RegalSin

Go to any college "Student center" and ask about clubs, where people practice languages together. They also have groups in colleges who are listed but they are not official.

ALSO

Various college and unrelated organizations have SCHOLAR CENTERS. You could even manage to start one and aquire government support for your center/organization.

Even highschools, homeless ( centers if any ), public, community centers, have such programs available for exchange students.

Last edited:

nicole1

I've found someone. It's kinda nerve recking. I'm not practicing Duolingo and speaking with someone through email.

I will check out those resources, thanks.

DeLasDudasInfinitas

Learning languages is one of the best things that could happen to me. :)
I'm Spanish so in Spain we study English and French at school. However, when I finished it I decided that I wanted to improve my English so I watched TV shows and read books. Eventually, I found myself in the same situation as you so I started attending English lessons in an official language school where I could practice it with other people. At first it was difficult because I had to talk with different classmates, but later it was easier and it helped me to open up a little. Now I like going because it helps me with English but also with my social skills.

dannyboy65

I've always struggled with learning while growing up, because of my autism. I was always getting 40 and 50% on tests, could never stay focused in class, didn't know how to study, and on top of that everyone told me I was stupid. Once I got in college though that changed how found out how I learn best and I learnt how to study. Now I know I am not stupid I just had to figure out how I learn.