Card & Board Games

talisman

Does anyone here like card or board games e.g. Whist, Euchre, Hearts, Rummy, Scrabble, Chess etc?

I first started playing board games with my family when I was quite young (some I remember are Game of Life, Hotel, Go For Broke, Monopoly, Totopoly, Hero Quest and of course Scrabble), and when I reached the last few years of secondary school a group of us used to sit and play card games in the 6th Form Common Room at lunch (and sometimes when we should have been studying lol). Needless to say I've got many fond memories of playing cards. :D

Sadly I've not found many people online (well on several SA sites anyway) who like or know how to play card games. Most aren't difficult to learn and if you get a group of people together who enjoy them it can be good fun (especially if combined with skype :D).

Yahoo has a range of card games free to play online, so I think it would be great if lots of people could get involved in playing some of these classic games. There's not many board games online...Yahoo's Literati aka Scrabble is the only one I've played, but it's also good fun.

For anyone who's interested I've set up a Windows Live Group called 'Shyness and Social Anxiety Games Group' which allows members to group chat on MSN and hopefully organise a few games whenever there's enough people about. All you need do is sign up to the group on the group home page above.

A fellow games player called nineofspades has set up a forum for the games group. It's only small at the moment but it would be nice to see some people join up.

http://saboardcardgames.proboards.com/index.cgi

So, what card or board games do people here play?

Last edited:

Tiercel

The only board games I play anymore are things like Hero Quest (which I haven't played in a few years), War of the Ring, Arkham Horror, Zombies!!!, and then some "tile" games like Ad Astra and Twilight Imperium. And I've been wanting to get into miniatures wargaming (things like WarHammer) for most of my life, but I'm really not social enough to justify the investment of time and money into something else that would just sit around.

The only card game I ever really played was Magic: The Gathering. My favorite colors were black and green. Actually, I pulled a box of them out from under my bed several weeks ago and have them sitting right above my monitor. There's my black & red deck of mostly rares and uncommons, my zombie deck (which I always called my undeck, for some reason), and a sort of anti-black and -red white deck. Ah, memories. :D

I know those aren't really the types of card & board games you were asking about, but I've always been a bit on the geeky side.

As far as PnP RPGs go, I've done D&D (2nd-4th editions), Pathfinder (basically D&D 3.75), GURPS once or twice, World of Darkness (mostly Changeling and Mage), Warhammer 40K (heavy bolters = fun!), and maybe some others that I've forgotten right now.

talisman

Wargaming and RPG card game things sound quite fun tbh. Never had the chance to play anything like that but they involve cards and boards so they must count as Card and Board Games imo. :D

pete2682

I play some of the ones you've listed, particularly the card games; Euchre, Hearts, Rummy.....I like cribbage too. I enjoy playing board games every once in a while also. So yeah, I guess it would be fun to play online with fellow SA persons. :)

Play Away

I looooove board games!!!! Sadly, I don't really have anyone to play with ever. I don't know about card games, since I have never really played them before. I'm sure I probably would if I had someone to play with. I play scrabble online sometimes, and the word games are probably my favourite.

When I was in high school, my friends and I went through a card playing phase. We loved war, spit, speed, rummy, and gin rummy. But our collective favorite was Egyptian Ratscrew. I think every card game should include the possible threat of having your hand smashed by your opponents. Ah, good times! I also enjoy golf and various types of solitaire. However, I rarely beat freecell and cannot beat 4 suit spider solitaire.

I also lurve board games, but rarely get to play them. My friends and I are addicted to Cranium and play on those rare occasions that we are all together. During Christmas break, my sister cracked out the Friends tv trivia game. It was amazing how much we both remembered after all these years. We also played Mad Gab, which was fun.

I respect the skill needed to play chess and checkers, but that amount of "strategery" makes my head hurt.

talisman

I looooove board games!!!! Sadly, I don't really have anyone to play with ever. I don't know about card games, since I have never really played them before. I'm sure I probably would if I had someone to play with. I play scrabble online sometimes, and the word games are probably my favourite.

The people over on SAUK have been organising a lot of Literati (Yahoo Scrabble) games lately. If there's enough interest I see no reason why we couldn't organis a few on here. We'd need between 3 and 5 players.

There are board games on spw ?

Not that I'm aware of, but the MSN group and forum in the first post are for people from any SA or shyness sites to use. I'd like to build up a community of traditional game players so we can avoid playing 'randoms' in yahoo gaming rooms and keep it all within the community.

When I was in high school, my friends and I went through a card playing phase. We loved war, spit, speed, rummy, and gin rummy. But our collective favorite was Egyptian Ratscrew. I think every card game should include the possible threat of having your hand smashed by your opponents. Ah, good times! I also enjoy golf and various types of solitaire. However, I rarely beat freecell and cannot beat 4 suit spider solitaire.

That Egyptian Ratscrew sounds painful. :eek:

I played gin rummy yesterday and won three games in a row. That was fun. I've never played War, Speed or Spit. I think I'd be too slow. :D

MyLegacy

I Like board games and card games!!
I play e-mail scrabble, and it's fun. I also can never seem to find anone (online)who like to enjoy a simple game of rummy 500, or gin-rummy...:D

MyLegacy

part of my message dissappeared. I play on some sites that are nice, but can never get 3 or 4 players at a time. Can someone explaine how 'messenger' works? I made a group and email for my games friends(Email: [email protected]
Web address: http://mygamefriendsplace.groups.live.com), but now do I have to add individual e-mails? or can I add an address that would let me connect with all of you at once?

MyLegacy

Lexulous.com is like scrabble, and can be played llive, or through email. Also 'gamepoint.com' has some great classics such as :yahtzee(dicez), scrabble(wordtornado), many card games, bingo-type games...

Phoenixx

I'm not too into card games, although I love Apples To Apples and Uno. I'm more of a board game person. I love Scrabble, Trivial Pursuit, and Monopoly.