Can Everyone Relate To This?

StrandedTangle

On The Edge

Lonely and alone, I wander the shore of the turbid sea of relationships.
Occasionally I cast a pebble, which of course, disappears without a trace.
The sea teems with life. A seething mass of humanity.
Not all happy, but growing through sharing.
Am I alone in being unable to breathe the waters of life?
Is it necessary to fall into step in order to be accepted?
I do not wish to become another false face in the crowd.
If I cannot be true to myself then I am really lost.
The waves crash violently on the rocks nearby.
Such is the pain and hurt of trying to connect with someone.
I cannot part the water and walk through untouched.
Nor can I walk on the surface.
When I have waded in I seem always out of my depth.
This results in panic and withdrawal.
So here I remain; on the edge.
An outsider looking in.
The sand shifts uneasily beneath my feet.
Is there another who is also on the fringe?
Or am I truly alone on the shore?
Out of place; out of time; out of phase.
Is anybody there?

I wrote this many years ago, but it is still as true for me today.

On The Edge

Lonely and alone, I wander the shore of the turbid sea of relationships.
Occasionally I cast a pebble, which of course, disappears without a trace.
The sea teems with life. A seething mass of humanity.
Not all happy, but growing through sharing.
Am I alone in being unable to breathe the waters of life?
Is it necessary to fall into step in order to be accepted?
I do not wish to become another false face in the crowd.
If I cannot be true to myself then I am really lost.
The waves crash violently on the rocks nearby.
Such is the pain and hurt of trying to connect with someone.
I cannot part the water and walk through untouched.
Nor can I walk on the surface.
When I have waded in I seem always out of my depth.
This results in panic and withdrawal.
So here I remain; on the edge.
An outsider looking in.
The sand shifts uneasily beneath my feet.
Is there another who is also on the fringe?
Or am I truly alone on the shore?
Out of place; out of time; out of phase.
Is anybody there?

I wrote this many years ago, but it is still as true for me today.

i feel many if not most here can relate, myself very much so....i have always thought of human relationships are a treacherous endeavour to any human, let alone those who inheritantly struggle with social interaction like us. just notice how many song lyrics explore this theme for example.

i like how you put it: "A seething mass of humanity.
Not all happy, but growing through sharing." it does seem human companionship can ease the difficulties of a trouble ridden existance..but, when you get to my level, where even maintaining friendships seems an impossiblity ardous task, then life does become very lonely at times. For this reason places like this are invaluably important, we share your pain, i'm with you all the way.

...i thought you're post was beautifully written btw, do write much? do you write poetry? i do like to write myself...you seem particularly good at it though:)

Mokkat

Very nice. I like the not too abstract but still mood inducing style, and the overall water theme.

Reminds me of Odo and the shapeshifters in Star Trek DS9 :)

StandingJelly

Don't know much about poems but I do try to understand them. I like it, or at least in this context of ours.

I sometimes want to scream at the sea, but I couldn't scream out loud. I'm just glad I'm not alone on the shore;)

Noticed the Holy Bible ellusions, made me really think. Is it god gift or our faith that decides those abilities we all desire?

StrandedTangle

i feel many if not most here can relate, myself very much so....i have always thought of human relationships are a treacherous endeavour to any human, let alone those who inheritantly struggle with social interaction like us. just notice how many song lyrics explore this theme for example.

i like how you put it: "A seething mass of humanity.
Not all happy, but growing through sharing." it does seem human companionship can ease the difficulties of a trouble ridden existance..but, when you get to my level, where even maintaining friendships seems an impossiblity ardous task, then life does become very lonely at times. For this reason places like this are invaluably important, we share your pain, i'm with you all the way.

...i thought you're post was beautifully written btw, do write much? do you write poetry? i do like to write myself...you seem particularly good at it though:)

Hi skins. Thank you very much for your thoughts and support. Your kindness is greatly appreciated. I used to write lots of Poetry, but not so much lately. I do however have a lot of previously written things that I just had to 'get out'. I think it would be nice if there was a specialized Thread on this Site for people just to share Poetry. I know there's one which includes it along with Art etc. Being a Newbie I'm not sure how such a Thread would go. Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated. Maybe there is one and I just haven't found it. Thanks again!
Stranded.

StrandedTangle

Very nice. I like the not too abstract but still mood inducing style, and the overall water theme.

Reminds me of Odo and the shapeshifters in Star Trek DS9 :)

Hi Mokkat; Thanks for your kind words and taking the trouble to respond.
I am familiar with DS9 and though I have never made the connection you did, I have to agree with you! :)

I think it would be nice if there was a specialized Thread on this Site for people just to share Poetry. I know there's one which includes it along with Art etc. Being a Newbie I'm not sure how such a Thread would go. Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated. Maybe there is one and I just haven't found it. Thanks again!
Stranded.

StrandedTangle

That's a great poem. Don't stop writing them!!!!!!

Hi mountaingirl; Thank you so much for your positive response to my Poem.
I have written many, many in the past, but not for quite some months now.
However I do have a back-catalogue of material.
I think it would be nice if there was a specialized Thread on this Site for people just to share Poetry. I know there's one which includes it along with Art etc. Being a Newbie I'm not sure how such a Thread would go. Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated. Maybe there is one and I just haven't found it. Thanks again!
Stranded.

StrandedTangle

Don't know much about poems but I do try to understand them. I like it, or at least in this context of ours.

I sometimes want to scream at the sea, but I couldn't scream out loud. I'm just glad I'm not alone on the shore;)

Noticed the Holy Bible ellusions, made me really think. Is it god gift or our faith that decides those abilities we all desire?

Hi StandingJelly! The sea is a wonderful place for Inspiration but also for despair at times. Through which comes inspiration for such writing. I know how you feel about wanting to scream at the sea at times. On an empty, lonely beach I think the vastness of it's impenetrable expanse really strikes a chord with those of us with SA.
I too, am glad that I am not alone on the shore after all.

Stranded.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I like it too, and can relate to this.
I like how you can picture all your feelings in a metaphorical way. Reading it, I could have your text playing like a movie in my head. Very cool :)