Can Anyone Recommend Any Good Fantasy Novels?

MistMoon

I love fantasy novels, but I prefer to ask people for recommendations first before I buy any. Can anyone recommend their favorite fantasy books? Preferably ones without too much romance in them!

EDIT: I've read The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, all the Harry Potter books, The Golden Compass and the rest of the trilogy, the Inkheart Trilogy, The Great and Terrible Beauty trilogy, The Queen of the Orcs trilogy, The Abhorsen trilogy...and more I might be forgetting LOL I was an avid reader a while ago but now I'm running out of ideas!

Thank you!!

Last edited:
If you're a fantasy lover I'd imagine you've already read Lord of the Rings and/or The Hobbit, but if not, make that a priority :p

I happened to really like Eragon even though the author heavily borrowed from Tolkien. I still found it a good read (never read the third and fourth book, though, I really need to do that).

Inkspell is another good one, and its two sequels.

I'm not a major fantasy nut but I've read some here and there. I read everything, but those are my favorites in the genre you asked for.

There are probably more I've read but can't think of at the moment, I'll add them if I remember...

Oh! How could I leave out the His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman? American title of the first book in the series is The Golden Compass. Has some science fiction in it but also definitely fantasy, GREAT books, highly recommend those ones (there is some romance in it but it's not too cheesy or over-the-top, in my opinion... it blends in with the rest of the story nicely and doesn't get in the way).

Also... Harry Potter, of course. But I'm sure you've read that :)

MistMoon

If you're a fantasy lover I'd imagine you've already read Lord of the Rings and/or The Hobbit, but if not, make that a priority :p

I happened to really like Eragon even though the author heavily borrowed from Tolkien. I still found it a good read (never read the third and fourth book, though, I really need to do that).

I'm not a major fantasy nut but I've read some here and there. I read everything, but those are my favorites in the genre you asked for.

There are probably more I've read but can't think of at the moment, I'll add them if I remember...

Thank you so much for your help, but I probably should have mentioned the books I already read first! LOLOL

Already read The Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy. Love them to pieces. :p Tolkien is amazing at what he does.

I've read Eragon and enjoyed it, but stopped at Eldest...didn't really care for it, the main character got kind of irritating to me

I've read the Inkheart series up to Inkspell, never got around to reading the last one, so I'll definitely do that one of these days! Thanks again!

LoyalXenite

I agree about the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit,i was about to recommend the Eragon series myself, i have all 4 books and absolutely love them!.

Other books i would suggest is anything by Jane Lindskold, she does brilliant novels, i especially like her Firekeeper series.

The Ender series by orson scott card i think is technically sci fi but i reccomend it anyway

MistMoon

Diana Gabaldons Highlander series is brilliant it has the lot -fantasy, romance and violence what more could you ask for.
DianaGabaldon.com

Never heard of that series, sounds interesting!! I'll look into it, thanks!

Oh! How could I leave out the His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman? American title of the first book in the series is The Golden Compass. Has some science fiction in it but also definitely fantasy, GREAT books, highly recommend those ones (there is some romance in it but it's not too cheesy or over-the-top, in my opinion... it blends in with the rest of the story nicely and doesn't get in the way).

Also... Harry Potter, of course. But I'm sure you've read that :)

I've read the His Dark Materials and I loved it, made me cry at the very end! And of course, the Harry Potter series is amazing :D I think I'll edit my post though to say the ones I've already read!!

I've read the His Dark Materials and I loved it, made me cry at the very end! And of course, the Harry Potter series is amazing :D I think I'll edit my post though to say the ones I've already read!!

Darn. Looks like I've only really read mainstream fantasy stuff, I should change that so I have more obscure recommendations in the future :D

A86

ha ha
Iorek Byrnison for the win! :p

I also did not mind The Wheel Of Time saga.

PGT

Check out some of the Robin Hobb or Terry Brooks novels.
They are my favourite fantasy authors.