bullied by next door?

ebinao

I'm getting bullied by the men living right next door.. I'm 22 and the father there is years older than me, older than my parents, but when I pass by their house his voice gets harder, louder, once when i was in my room I could clearly hear him, standing right below my window, saying in a hard loud voice how he's going to kill something. once i turned off the light right while he was talking and he paused as if in response.

i dont even turn on the light in my room anymore. afraid of making any sound. moderated my voice because i admit it was negligently loud, but even now the moment they hear it, the sort of relative helper in their house starts making obnoxious singing and scraping his feet when he walks. later on the father starts talking in a hard loud voice too. im not sure but they might even go so far as get out of their house (the helper) to look through any windows in our house and when they see im there they start tormenting me.

it also seems that they do that to my other family members too. but since i am the only one who responds, who gets scared visibly enough, they do that. the voices of my other family members can be heard loud and clear many times but when i so much as grunt they start their disgusting routine. the daughter started being obnoxious towards me once but stopped.

it seems to have started years before, when i was much younger and much more likely to be left alone. the father there seems to have had his eye on my mom and was making no secret of it. my dad goes out with the neighbors including him, and gets drunk, and the way he is, he's pretty careless/negligent/even an idiot, but he works hard. that father once came to my mom at our gate, talked to her like she was just some rag, pregnant with her third child, asking where my father was. my mom even if she looked like that had a stable job, she was at the time the one supporting our family, as my father's business was down. she told him he wasn't there, and the conversation led to her saying that if she had a choice, she would never have chosen to live here. all those years we have no choice but to pass by their house, due to the lining of the houses, the other way is a dead end. and many times he would talk in a hard loud voice, how he is going to kill a bunch of people. as my mom passed. the helper also sort of verbally harasses her. my mom also told me they heard him saying (as you might see it's very easy to hear voices through the walls) once, how his own household was a disgrace, they should be living in a way that would gain the respect of their neighbors. we're more financially able now thanks to my mom joining my father's business and establishing a clear consistent system on their finances. now my mom says the father there feels shame towards her now and would finally leave her alone.

now is the problem how this all has anything to do with me. i was reasonably corteous to them before. i never said anything harmful to them. i don't mind them if they don't mind me. i (used to)smile at them when i need to. back then i didn't even know of this feud among them. but i do have personality problems and there could be little things, little annoyances that make it easy to hate me, make me an easy target for torment. i might also appear arrogant many times because of my 'i don't need anyone' belief in life. i know i have offended a lot of people at school as well, and i know for a fact that many people there are a lot nicer.

there's also the fact that we in the first place do not prefer them as friends. we don't have them in our house (we rarely have anyone in our house). i admit we have a lot of new things, and it's probably very visible that we have become well off. my parents bought them, and they have the right i mean they are getting older and older, they went through a lot of hardships to get here, let them enjoy a bit of luxury.

my parents keep on telling me there's something wrong with me and took me to a psychiatrist once and are offering to take me again. my mom says im only thinking of myself when i tell her about these anxieties. my father now i figure hasn't said anything about this but is offering to take me to the psychiatrist and that something is wrong with me. i told my mom i wanted to live somewhere else but she said im not ready yet since i cant clean my room. im a graduate. she said i should fight this. when it's quiet and it seems the next door people are away i tell her how glad i am and she or my dad just responds with this incredulous look like, why do i think like that, your fears are not legitemate, they doesn't exist.

now i'm learning a bit more about how harsh things can get in other places. so recently i'm being able to ignore them. and i see that gets them to quiet down. i'm still growing up, (these are things people probably learn at a much younger age.) learning how to look or think tough, bare minimum so that i wouldn't be trampled on by the harsh world. i am learning how to be a better person relative to the harsh outside world. but i am still afraid, what if they try to do something else now that they realize their previous way of torturing is being dealt with by me? what if they do something worse.

any thoughts on this, that can relate, comfort, assure, or understand. are welcome. sorry for the long post.

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
You're in a very, very, tough spot.

Ordinarily, I'd tell someone to start saving to move and to document your neighbor's bad behavior so in case you have to go to the police, you'd have something to back up your claims and give them probable cause to act. But having anxiety and having two parents who seem to be okay living next to whack-jobs that torture their son makes this completely empty advice. You can't save if you can't work, and any action you take against your neighbors is going to be sabotaged by your mom and dad's complacency.

The only thing I can offer in way of advice is for you to start seeing a therapist as soon as you can. Tell them about all of this. Bad neighbors are enough to drive anyone nuts, let alone someone in your shoes who already suffers with so much anxiety and two neglectful parents.

Staying there is just going to dig your hole deeper. Talk to someone, try to get better, and then try to get out. Keep your head down and build yourself up for the prison break.

Last edited:

jaim38

I can definitely relate. I was in similar situations several years ago. Actually, problems with the neighbors started even before then. I hate living in apartments mainly because of how easily noises pass through the walls. I've had neighbors intentionally listening to us in the bathroom, just waiting to make fun of us for any toilet noises. There are some very mean people out there who go out of their way to make you suffer. The fact that my family doesn't have good social skills only makes things worse. I also had the "I don't need people" attitude, so I kept to myself and avoided people as much as possible. Back then, I didn't know any better.

I am also too afraid of pissing off the neighbors. I let them do whatever they want -yes I was a pushover. When I used to live downstairs, I hear the neighbors turn on really loud music/stereos and never said a word, even though it kept me up and I had to use earplugs to sleep. When making phone calls or brushing teeth, I crouch down or go to the closet to talk. And, in fact my brother encourage this type of behavior. He likes me as quiet as I possibly can. I was bullied by both my brother and the neighbors. There was no one on my side, and everyday there was some form of torture. It was like living in H*ll. I had no friends in that city.

Much of my depression, suicidal tendencies, and near-insanity stemmed from this. I almost lost my ability to talk, from all the silence/muteness I was having! I highly encourage you to move out while you can, before it destroys your sanity.

StripyDan

I have been in a similar situation to the OP for years, in both home situations and at work. It sounds like the more troublesome long term problem you have on your hands are your parents, though I can fully appreciate how tough it is to have Neighbours like that.

Any options you have which aid you in getting out of that house asap - doing what it takes to save some money wherever you can will all help you, and it may seem daunting to move, but believe me, you will be able to live a more normal life and move on properly from what has been going on.

Going to a therapist in your free time would help you out. What is your job situation like? Have you considered seeing your doctor and explaining the situation?

I can fully relate to how hard it is when parents put you down, or try to make you believe that something is wrong with you. From seeing it time and time again, this kind of treatment doesn't make people prove their parents wrong, it has the total opposite effect, it can be a massive confidence burner.

Just know that no matter how hard things seem, there is always options out there and you will be away from this situation in the future. Frankly, the sooner you are away from both things, the better. In short, I would do what you can to save money or if you aren't working then apply to as many jobs as you can. While the time is ticking and your there in the short term, don't take on board what they are saying, try not to react and do what you can to keep away from these tough situations - for example, if you can find a way to be out of the house for a long time, then take that route, perhaps spend time with a friend.

Try to stay as smart, pragmatic and relaxed as you can no matter how hard things seem. Because it's when you do this more that you'll make better decisions and also the best actions to get out of your situation. The fact you are actively doing what you can to change your situation is a conscious effort to change your life in a positive way, so that should gradually lessen your feelings of anxiety. Talking to your friends/or your doctor will also help because they will be able to listen to you with no judgement at all, and you will continue to receive advice and support. Good luck!

Last edited:

ebinao

thanks for all the replies they really mean a lot. it helps when people acknowledge that something's wrong or can relate in some way.

interesting about the job situation - it might not be that bad to be more friendly. i find that it's actually a lot of fun to be with people. i kinda messed some things up because of my attitude but even then there are some who are willing to give me another chance. and dont get me wrong i can tell when there's something i don't like when someone is befriending me.

in the future i guess i'll have to balance being friendly and also enjoying my alone time reading or watching videos or playing games or just being alone. i find that i cant just ignore everyone. because to many it's like an insult. and i find that they themselves were from the start ready to befriend me as well and be nice to me.

as i become more balanced as a person and happier (i'm just kinda dull), less insecure, i think that will help me avoid these kinds of things.

granted, i'd never forget. the thing is with some people i can only hope not to mess things up with them if i want to blend in with their background.

i've thought many times it's h*ll itself that im going through but yeah im going to ignore and keep my head down. recently they are quieter. but just in case pepper spray could be handy too or maybe a foldable umbrella. im also thinking now that seeing a therapist might not be such a bad idea, to be able to get some professional 3rd party opinion about this. im just hoping they wont give me any meds or anything.

any more responses feedback that understand or relate or comfort are welcome. thanks again.