Budget Coffee

dottie

Please read fully before replying. Your suggestions are needed. Specifically, I am looking for a coffee that is delicious but less expensive than Peet's. Peet's is my fav coffee, but because I am back on a budget I am looking for something comparable but less expensive than $8 a bag. What is something inexpensive, delicious, and preferably sold as whole beans? I guess I'm looking for a happy medium between a bag of Peet's and the can of Foldgers.

Please advise.

PS: The caps in this post are dedicated to GrayBeard's signature.

coyote

Medaglia D'Oro is my favorite - been drinking it for many many years. it's not that cheap

Cafe Bustelo is good, too - it's easier to find sometimes and usually much less expensive

i use them to make espresso, as is their intended purpose - it is pre-ground to the right fineness

Folger's "Black Silk" isn't bad for something a lot cheaper - if you're making drip or pressed coffee

Folger's "Gourmet Supreme" is okay, too

(not capitalizing can sometimes be a style choice, rather than a matter of laziness)

Last edited:

hidwell

Medaglia D'Oro is my favorite - been drinking it for many many years. it's not that cheap

Cafe Bustelo is good, too - it's easier to find sometimes and usually much less expensive

i use them to make espresso, as is their intended purpose - it is pre-ground to the right fineness

Folger's "Black Silk" isn't bad for something a lot cheaper - if you're making drip or pressed coffee

(not capitalizing can sometimes be a style choice, rather than a matter of laziness)

A man who knows his coffee ! :perfect:

dottie

Have you tried Folger's in a French Press? Do the grounds come up through the screen? I use a French Press so I'm looking for whole beans or coarse ground. If they are coarse grounds I'd try it.

Yeah, in my case it's definitely a style choice. This feels so formal. Like I'm at work... Although, it is probably easier to read.

GrayBeardGhost said:
My signature thanks you graciously and wishes you a fine cup of coffee. :)

:bigsmile:

coyote

Have you tried Folger's in a French Press? Do the grounds come up through the screen? I use a French Press so I'm looking for whole beans or coarse ground. If they are coarse grounds I'd try it.

yes, i have - it is ground for automatic drip makers so it is coarse enough to work well in a French Press

it doesn't make espresso very well, because the steam blows through the grounds and the coffee comes out too watered down

dottie

yes, i have - it is ground for automatic drip makers so it is coarse enough to work well in a French Press

it doesn't make espresso very well, because the steam blows through the grounds and the coffee comes out too watered down

just give 'em an extra buzz in the grinder for espresso. next time i go grocery shopping i will keep an eye out! thanks for the recs!