buddhism can lead to suicide

Diend

buddhism is the idea that everything is ephemeral. You are insignificant. The goal is to not be emotionally attached and stay in equilibrium. when i hear that i stopped caring. the more i stopped caring about things, the more i stopped wanting to live. the idea of wanting to be sexy, rich and enjoy life is the only thing that is preventing me from wanting death. i used to think that i shouldnt care too much about my life. the more i care however, the more i feel like wanting to live.

MollyBeGood

Buddhism isn't for everyone. It's very minimalist. You sound like you'd make a good material Christian or Catholic. There you can be happy for riches and feel powerful and proud with wealth and status. I personally liked that they teach 'Life is suffering" it keeps one from feeling too sorry for ones self. I also like that they teach non attachment. So much of the worlds woes are from being attached to things, ideas, people... Letting go from attachment is really so freeing. Wealth and status, physical looks and all of that stuff all fades. What are you left with when they all leave you? I like how Buddhism teaches you to train your mind, too. Our minds are our most powerful tools after-all. I respect that sort of teaching and hold it in high regard personally. Though I really don't live it like I should, I feel it has serious value.

Bronson99

From what I have read (not that much, really) it seems to be an anti-hedonistic philosophy. That I do not agree with. While I do not advocate for excess (which will often result in loss of discipline), I believe one should savor life.

That said, one can savor life without striving for material goods and riches.

But "holding back"? Who among us has *no* indulgences or addictions, anyway? If we're being honest. It is an untenable and unsustainable objective.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
From what I have read (not that much, really) it seems to be an anti-hedonistic philosophy. That I do not agree with. While I do not advocate for excess (which will often result in loss of discipline), I believe one should savor life.

That said, one can savor life without striving for material goods and riches.

But "holding back"? Who among us has *no* indulgences or addictions, anyway? If we're being honest. It is an untenable and unsustainable objective.

Why do I hear Commander Data's voice when I read that? :bigsmile:

LazyHermitCrab

really? I went to a Buddhist temple today for a funeral. the memorial was very good and there were offerings and talking about memories of the person. idk I'm not a Buddhist but it was a good experience... well it was sad of coarse... I just thought they honored the person in a thoughtful way...

Kiwong

One of the key principles of Buddhism is the right speech, action and livelihood. And that incudes refraining from causing the death of any living being, including ones self. So suicide is against the teachings of Buddhism.

hoddesdon

One of the key principles of Buddhism is the right speech, action and livelihood. And that incudes refraining from causing the death of any living being, including ones self. So suicide is against the teachings of Buddhism.

Good point.