Bpd

Feathers

Hey sorry to hear about it... Hope things get better...

Interesting about the herbs, didn't know that mint is a natural antihistamine... Or about red clovers.. Maybe we can continue about the herbs or other things in a separate thread?

Have any idea why some people can't seem to tolerate chamomile? I could drink it when I was a kid/younger, can't seem to tolerate it these days, and I've heard of other people who couldn't either..

Some people aren't too happy with us discussing you-know-what, so I think it's better to stay away from that, just in case... There seem to be differring opinions on whether it can help or not, so maybe it's better to stay away from any such discussion just in case.. Is that okay with you?

We had snow here, it's really beautiful the 1st day especially.. I've also started going on walks a bit again, so that helps too.. I still feel a bit confused, but things are clarifying somewhat, about what to do with the eco projects etc... ((hugs))

Devrium

Sorry...

I guess I could drag this thread back on topic which was BPD but in all honesty with over 400 views and only 1 other person saying that they were diagnosed with it... it seems kind of pointless. I guess either no one else suffers from it around here, or if they do they don't care to post about it.

Although, I am not sure what you mean about "other people" not being happy about certain things we are discussing. If it's all the auditory hallucination stuff... really that was still on topic. I mean it's related to my BPD because of criteria 9 in the DSM which talks about dissociation which can lead to psychosis and/or DID and is all, ultimately tied to depression... but I guess if people aren't happy, they aren't happy. Maybe it really is a taboo thing after all?

Anyway... If anyone actually wants to discuss BPD and what it means to them and treatment options that have worked for them or how they cope on a day to day basis with the disorder... or how it is for their family members to live with them... I will still come and check this post.

Otherwise, Feathers, you and I should take our discussion to PM's which we probably should have done a long time ago anyway.

I still hold out hope to find another BPD person or 2 tho that actually can discuss things with me. I tried on the BPD forums and that place is like the lion's den. I think I'll just stick with these ones and keep on wishing ^^

Danfalc

Banned
I guess I could drag this thread back on topic which was BPD but in all honesty with over 400 views and only 1 other person saying that they were diagnosed with it... it seems kind of pointless. I guess either no one else suffers from it around here, or if they do they don't care to post about it.

I think the views maybe show it is an important issue to some people.But I think Bpd rarely goes diagnosed In most people?Or at least It can be a tricky one to have diagnosed.I also think there is limited information and a lack of general awareness.

I think threads like this are really great and inspirational for some people who are maybe not confident enough to post about it.There are so many disorders which go hand In hand with SA,sometimes these disorders are even the cause of the anxiety In the first place.So yeah I think this thread is a good thing and I hope you continue to post as the more personal input the better for people who may feel they could have this issue too.Even if it just raises peoples awareness of Bpd I think that's a good thing In itself.

Devrium

@Danfalc

mmm I guess you're right. I get discouraged kind of easily... plus this thread did get majorly off topic so maybe people didn't really know what to say.

And you're absolutely correct about it going undiagnosed a lot, being tricky to diagnose, and having limited awareness out there on BPD.

Borderline makes up about 2% of the population and is mostly seen in young women. It is said that many people can outgrow borderline by the time they are 35 or 40 years old. Unless it's a severe case (like mine). But, because of this reason, it's known as a "young people's illness". The shocking part is tho, that although only 2% of the population is made up of BPD people, we account for more than 20% of all in-patients in psychiatric hospitals. If you think about it, 20% is a HUGE number. Even I myself, just spent the better half of the last 4 months in the psych ward because of my borderline.

Going back to how it's difficult to diagnose and how people go undiagnosed, my personal journey with getting diagnosed with BPD has been rocky to say the least. I was first diagnosed as a teenager. However, regardless of that initial diagnoses I have had a dozen counselors tell me that I don't actually have borderline... when I knew, quite obviously, that I did indeed have it. That lack of validation really hurt me. It made me feel like no one was listening, no one saw me for who I was, and no one cared at all. It was almost like they didn't want to admit I had BPD.

If you read any information on borderline you will see it mentioned over and over that many counselors are reluctant to take on BPD people, because we are seriously hard to handle and treat. This is partly due to our lack of trust in other people, and the fact that we vacillate between idealization and devaluation of a person. In other words, we can go from loving our therapists, to thinking they are the worst thing on the planet and hating them. And they don't even need to do anything particularly drastic to set us off. We are highly unstable, and therefore so is our environment. Not to mention the only official treatment for BPD is psychotherapy (part of which is DBT). No medications directly help with borderline. Our therapists must have extreme personal boundaries, and be like a rock emotionally... as in, be completely emotionally stable. And I guess a lot of therapists would just rather not deal with BPD.

On that same note, a lot of mental health places aren't equipped to treat BPD. The place I go to now is state run. Because of this they run completely off grants and therefore have to jump through a lot of governmental hoops to keep their funding, and their jobs. The government, not knowing squat about mental health, decided to put a regulation on the program. They broke mental illness into two category's; A and B. They will treat you there if you fall into category A, but not if you fall into B. Category A consists of depression, PTSD, and Bipolar. Category B is everything else. Technically I am not supposed to be being seen there, but I have special permission. Anyway, my point is, this just makes it even harder on people that actually have BPD to be diagnosed and get proper treatment. 99% of the people that work at that mental health clinic don't even have a clue what BPD is...

Anyway, I have since officially been diagnosed 3 times with borderline, but the journey from onset to diagnoses was frustrating. I know labels aren't great and all that, but sometimes it's nice to have one because then you can put a name to what's wrong, and start working from there. I have had so many people tell me so many different things about what's wrong with me and for once I would just like someone to believe in me. You only have to meet 5 of the 9 criteria in the DSM to be considered BPD. I meet all 9, and I have since the age of 12 or so. When people try to tell me I don't have borderline (usually because those people are uneducated about it or just simply don't want to deal with it) it makes me feel like I am back at square one... frustrated and insecure and trying to figure out why I am the way I am.

Mostly, BPD people just want and need validation that it's okay to be who we are. It's okay to be ourselves.. because our whole lives growing up we have been told by EVERYONE around us that it's not okay to be us. And to get that same thing from a counselor, is the last thing someone with BPD needs... and that's all I have really ever gotten from them. In fact, I have had BPD for about 15 years and just within the last 3 months I started DBT (which is a treatment specifically made for borderline people)... Anyway, this just proves your point that YES, it goes undiagnosed, it's tricky to diagnose, and there is lack of awareness...

Speaking of lack of awareness.. BPD is more common than schizophrenia, but even less is known about it. They used to think that borderline was a sub category of schizophrenia. That's why it's called borderline. Because people with BPD were thought to be on the borderline of psychosis. Anymore, it's looked at as a more stable disease... but really people just still don't know much about it. It's often associated with schizotypal personality disorder as well.

Anyway, thanks for your encouragement about this thread. You're right again, in that SA goes hand in hand with my BPD. I probably wouldn't even have SA if it wasn't for the borderline. In fact the BPD causes the depression too. I guess I will just keep posting and sharing my own experiences about having BPD and hopefully other people might one day join in the discussion. I think it is important to spread the word. The thing about BPD is that it can often get mistaken for other things because it does share a lot of symptoms with other illnesses. And honestly, I hate feeling like I am the only one out there that is suffering from this. BPD's motto is "I hate you. Don't leave me." The last thing we want is to feel like we are alone...

On that note, I think I will share this video I found on youtube. If you watch past the first part where they are talking about emotions, it has some pretty good information on what it's like to have borderline. Just you know, for anyone that might be interested:

YouTube - What Borderline Personality Disorder feels like...(TRIGGER)

and if anyone wants more information on the criteria I will repost this link:

Borderline Personality Disorder DSM IV Diagnosis

Anyway, it's not a fun illness to live with... but if anyone else is suffering from borderline.. at least know you're not alone.

Danfalc

Banned
Hey Devrium,thank you for the detailed reply.I agree that labels are not always helpful.But when we have issues,it's nice to know what they are so we can at least fight them or learn how to cope with them like you say.

I think it's kind off disgusting that you have had counselors tell you,you didn't have Bpd.From the little I know it's a controversial disorder because some doctors refuse to believe it exists?I think that's sad though because the longer they argue over stuff like this,the longer people will go on suffering.And the fact is,there are people who do fit the Criteria.

I looked up the DSM IV Diagnosis.I think sadly a lot of the symptoms on there are still a stigma to some doctors.I find a lot of doctors today,view any form of self destructive behavior as attention seeking and emotional manipulation rather than seeing them for issues which do need resolving.Which is maybe another reason Counselors are wary of treating people with it.

I was going to say,a lot of the symptoms could easily be confused with other disorders.So thank you for what you wrote it was very informative.

I really hope the treatment you are doing helps.And I hope you finally get the support you deserve one day.Thank you for taking the time to reply to me.