Both Partners have either SA, depression, or both

Well this thread is mainly for people who are in relationships, but ofcourse anyone can input their 2 cents. i was just wondering if there was anyone here in a relationship and both them and their partner have SA and or depression. How is the relationship HONESTLY working out, and do you feel it brings more pain than happiness with you both being sad and all.

Sidekix

This is all based on assumption of course. I think it can work but I imagine it could only work with the right people involved. Just because we have SAD we still add different quirks to the relationship. There’s qualities about SAD and depression that could add emotional intelligence and growth to a relationship but I think people with those issues really have to fight for the relationship because we are likely to push people away.
It can keep the fire going in a relationship because you are constantly making sure that you reassure that you love one another but that can also be it’s downfall if the person feels there’s lack of acknowledgement and that can feel unappreciative and like you don’t trust them.

I am not sure I agree with how a person says, if you can trust someone you can’t love them because parents don’t trust their kids all the time and still proclaim they love them.

206Raider

Well I kinda am... I talk to somebody usually everyday on MSN for the past 2 months but were not "together" becuase we don't live all that close to eachother (although it's not unrealistically far) but we make eachother happy but it can be up and down but I think it can honestly work for 2 people. I don't see why not. When we talk we rarely even usually bring up SA and focus on other things although we both suffer from SA. If you enjoy eachothers company you won't be sad and lonely all the time.

Last edited:

Kat

Just being, in a long distance relationship is hard enough for most people but it too has it’s benefits when emotional distress comes about. I have found being in a long distance relationship, it can be good therapy when you’re having problems to talk things out over the instant messenger and over the phone because your kind of obligated to talk the issue out in some respects. I wouldn’t be surprised if they start using that one day as a method to help marital difficulties:D

Having SAD on top it’s defiantly not an easy thing to juggle.

Our problems do run wild on the relationship and without the right tools and know how to deal with it, it can be hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. You really have to tough it out and not every distressing situation that causes us hurt and pain you will automatically know how to deal with. I think with the hardships we go through, it can make the relationship stronger or break it.

Any relationship you go into there will be problems that you encounter but having SAD, there’s a lot you can learn from it in a positive way. I guess it just depends what angle you look at it from.

I've found it has had a positive impact on my life, it gives me someone else to think about. I needed to have a person in my life that had a positive bias towards me. Even, though it’s ultimately up to myself to get through this problem, it does help to have someone in your corner. It's important to know it helps to have someone it does not cure. I also find myself wanting to fight this thing more and at least try because it’s not me battling on my own anymore. I am doing it for someone else, I have a hard time being motivated like that if it’s only for myself.

If you are going to work hard at something in your life, I defiantly think a relationship is worth it.

I think people with sad would be miserable regardless of being in a relationship or not and they feel a lot a guilt because they don’t want to burden someone else with their problems but even if they are cured from this and get into a relationship, life will still present them with problems and have an affect on the relationship. It’s unavoidable because we are emotional beings to not experience the positives with-out the negatives. It’s what you decide to take away from it, though.

losttroy

Dub16 said:
But if we, as parents are prepared and know what to look out for, then surely thats a good thing??? Or am i kidding myself?

Absolutely not! I don't think social anxiety is hereditary, for starters. The SA I know is established because of specific EXTERNAL, NEGATIVE stimuli originating from individual circumstances. Unless humans have genetic memory attributes like Go'auld, SA being passed on is impossible. Likely too, considering the way kids are about rebelling against their parents for the sake of individuality, I assume they will see how fearful you are of social things, and purposely try NOT being that way.

I wouldn't worry about your kids. Have them, hope for the best, and if I'm wrong, who better to raise an SA kid than an SA dad?

Nack

Banned
The theory that depression is contagious, means that if somehow one is able to cheer up and help the other, everything will be fine. But if that's not the case and you live a depressed sad life, then probably their life will be like all of ours right here...