Being myself no longer feels like the right thing to do

luiface

Sorry I'm in a bad mood and I'm having trouble keeping my focus, so I might be a little hard to understand. My mom and dad always tell me these feelings go away and I just have to deal with them until they are gone, but I am losing hope. I know this is very annoying to hear but its the simplest way I can put it, I hate who I am and everything about me. I'm losing hope in everything and I keep thinking everythings going to be better. Everything is going to be okay I just need to wait. It isn't ****ing true. I don't know who to be. I won't make it anywhere being me. I want to be someone else and change everything about me. People see me, nerdy and looks like a good student, and assume I'm going to be successful in life. Everyone is living in their own world, its really hard to see things for what they are if you have only experienced yourself. I couldn't focus in class today, I forced myself to do the work and take notes but I had to stay in after class to finish. There HAS TO BE A WAY OUT OF THIS! I WANT REAL FRIENDS I CAN HANG OUT WITH! I don't want to be like everyone else I just want people who can accept me for who I am. I can't talk about what interests me or I bore people to death. People are always ignoring me and not listening. I saw having friends and gaining confidence as a goal, but it's hard to find a way to have all that. :kickingmyself:

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
HAS TO BE A WAY OUT OF THIS! I WANT REAL FRIENDS I CAN HANG OUT WITH!

Large amounts of effort over a substantial amount of time. Learning to deal with failure and keeping at it anyway. Eventual acceptance of various things, like...yourself. And the universe around you.

Won't be easy. Won't be quick.

Good luck.

truffleshuffle

Its hard to be yourself sometimes specialy when you so much want to be like everyone else. It dose tend to gets in the way But if you can't be yourself your only going to end up hurting yourself in the end. I tried to be someone I was not years ago and I was even more mesiable then than I am now. I know its a Cliché but if people wont or don;t want to accsept you for you then you don;t need them in your life.

Lowlight

Hello. I am sorry that you are feeling that way, and I can relate some.

In my estimation, what your parents have told you isn’t the whole story. Your negative feelings won’t just up and leave without you doing something to change your outlook. If you had a thorn in your hand you wouldn’t expect the pain to subside unless you pulled it out. You need to work to pull that negativity out of your mind as if it were a thorn.

What exactly is it about yourself you don’t like? Is this trait something you can control, or is it something that is in the minds of others? You say people see you as a nerdy student who looks like an achiever. What about that don’t you like? What are qualities that you wish you had? What are your interests that you think will bore people?

Everyone on this forum should heed the advice that you must first get your own house in order before you can go looking for friendship. Potential friends, for the most part, want to be with vibrant and positive people. If we are depressed then why would a person want to be around us? You and I must first learn how to be calm, cool, and collected with ourselves before we can expect to find friends. Once we are centered we can confidently approach the outside world.

Again I wish you peace and calm.

coyote

we all change - no one stays the same forever

are you the same person you were when you were 10? when you were 5?

in another five years, you won't be the same person you are now

there's nothing wrong with change

you can be whoever you choose to be

but... whoever that person turns out to be

you'll always be yourself

you have no other choice but to be