Being called shy

Silentknight

For those of you here who have a serious social phobia or AvPD or Agoraphobia does it bother you if someone calls you shy and i mean by someone who knows that what you have is more serious then shyness?

Tiercel

I guess it's better for someone like that to call me shy than to announce the technical term and leave me to explain it. But I look at it very practically: yup, I'm shy. I'm also bald and fat. I could let it bother me when others point it out, but I figure it's really no worse than saying that the sun is really hot, or that the traffic light up ahead is red.

But if they say it in a condescending way, well, two can play at that game. I'd probably start with "Well, I see that you're not."

:D

a lot of people call me shy, it only gets annoying sometimes because that person barely knows be and they are already pointing out a flaw in me.

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
It depends on why they choose the term "shy."

If they're minimizing my problem because they think it's foolish or something, then yeah, that bothers me. But usually you just consider the source with things like that and you let it roll. People that say those kinds of things are usually dealing with issues themselves.

If it's because they don't understand or think they're doing me a favor by calling it shyness, then that's cool. Maybe they think shyness has a better prognosis and it's they're way of cheering me on, saying that it's something I can beat.

It all depends on who says it and why. Either way, what does the average person know about it? So good or bad, it really doesn't matter.

dottie

i don't mind if people call me shy and MOVE ON. it is when they make an issue of it or ask, "why are you so quiet?" that it becomes provoking and rude.

Well, personally I don't like being called 'shy'. But I also don't like special treatment because of my social phobia. :/ I hide my anxieties and fear to prevent them from thinking I'm weak, what comes out physically must look like being shy.

I guess I'm a bit of a hypocrite that way.