Being around certain people/person stimulates sweating

Sprawling

It's interesting how being around certain person(s) can induce sweating. Being around certain friends makes me sweat, others not. Sometimes we need to adapt to a new friend (either platonic friend or otherwise) before the sweating decreases.

I've been friends with a certain women now for several years. I thought I may like to become romantically involved with her, yet my body tells me otherwise. My hands always sweat around her. I figured that it is a sign, or one sign that it's just not meant to be. Intuitively I love my friend, yet I know deep down it's only meant to be a friendship. She has asked me in the past to become involved, yet I was not ready.

You also know when someone is uncomfortable when they hold your sweating or damp hand. That's the case with this woman. I've been with others where damp hands is no big problem. I also know that within time the sweating decreases as we become more comfortable within their presence. The sweating in my case with her does not seem to be letting up.

Anyone else care to share their story?

ukchick

I agree that being around certain people makes me sweat more.it's the people that are usually more tactile. A really good friend of mine is a really 'huggy' sort of person and so I can get anxious around her. It seems mad though,that she is probably the most understanding of friends also.So realistically, me being sweaty around her would not bother her.

Peony

I get sweaty around people who I feel akward in their company. Also people I am attracted to. I don't get sweaty around friends unless in warm temps or doing things that would even make me sweat alone. But if I have been attracted to someone in the past I know I've gotten flustered and sweaty speaking with them. Also if people are too close to me.

I think your situation with your friend doesn't nessissarily mean you're not suited, if anything I think it means that you're attracted to her. If you ever did pursue it, after a few akward months you'd become relaxed and probably wouldn't sweat as much around her.

I was anxious and sweaty in the first dates etc with my partner. Now I hardly ever do. (10 years later) but I do still get a little embarrassed if we're out walking and I'm dripping with sweat. Or if he touches my sweaty back I'll have a snap at him. Don't suppose that ever goes if you're attracted to someone you don't want them to see your embarrassing yucky bits. Lol.

Knickerless

If this is the case then I don't think you need a doctor to diagnose yourself with social phobia/ anxiety related HH. The good news is this type of HH is easier to prevent.

Sprawling

If this is the case then I don't think you need a doctor to diagnose yourself with social phobia/ anxiety related HH. The good news is this type of HH is easier to prevent.

In my case this has nothing to do with social anxiety or phobia. This is just a case of an over active nervous system that puts me in fight and flight mode. I had this all my life. I'm an extremely social person and have started and run various social related groups over the span of many years. Anxiety for ME gets triggered by the hand sweat, not the other way around. When ionto works properly, sweating is more controlled. It's as if the hands sends a signal to the rest of the body to shut off the flight and flight.

One cannot assume that those of us with HH inherently have social phobia/anxiety. It's like assuming if one has sweaty smelly armpits that they are that way because they never shower.

Knickerless

Okay. What you are saying now is different to what you said in your original post so I stand by my answer to your original post and then add the following.

From my experience, I would agree with you that when the sweating starts it is like a cannonball effect and that sometimes it just doesn't start (though these days for me are now rare/non-existent). Personally, I believe my HH is neurological and that my body goes into panic when the sweating begins and then all hell breaks loose. My case is supported by the fact that if I take a huge amount of drugs or alcohol - so that my body is so turned off to the extent it can't go through this process - I don't sweat.

Sadly, I am not ready to die an alcoholic let a lone a heroin addict just yet so I continue to let my body do me over on a daily basis.

It sucks.

Does this help?

Yrono

I'm having the same problem here, only with someone that I'm attracted too. Only problem is that she has a boyfriend. I'm more of a really good friend right now, which I don't mind anymore now. It started this summer at school when i noticed that I sweated abnormally for no reason. first I thought it was just always, but now I notice that it's just when I'm around her(although I don't like her that way anymore, more like a good friend now). But I still sweat much. It has become less compared to the beginning, but sometimes I still sweat around her.
Just wanted to know if this can be helped with good antitranspirant deo, or is it just psychological?

Sprawling

I'm having the same problem here, only with someone that I'm attracted too. Only problem is that she has a boyfriend. I'm more of a really good friend right now, which I don't mind anymore now. It started this summer at school when i noticed that I sweated abnormally for no reason. first I thought it was just always, but now I notice that it's just when I'm around her(although I don't like her that way anymore, more like a good friend now). But I still sweat much. It has become less compared to the beginning, but sometimes I still sweat around her.
Just wanted to know if this can be helped with good antitranspirant deo, or is it just psychological?

Just hope in time the sweating will decrease when you are around her. I believe sometimes there is just not much we can do to control it.

_Hope

Yeah I had that exact problem, when I was with my ex girlfriend at the start and her family I'd always sweat a crazy amount or if I'm in a situation with someone I don't really know and I'm not 100% at ease I'd sweat like there is no tomorrow.

However lately I have seen a dramatic decrease is the amount I sweat even if I'm anxious or in anxious situations and for me I think a big part of it is because I have lost a crap load of weight and perhaps I'm not as uncomfortable and insecure as I once was because of it.. So am in a better frame of mind... I'm thinking my weight was my trigger to sweat if that makes any sense at all, it put me in a terrible frame of mind and when you're in that state of mind its easy to say to yourself "oh gaaaaaawwwwwwd, I know I'm going to sweat" then sure enough you do! :idontknow: Either way its annoying as hell lol. :thumbdown:

Last edited:

aries86

I also have a similar situation but it is not with people that I like. It is bad with people that I don't like. There are two people that I'm forced to be around that make me sweat even worse than i already do and its because I don't like them. Just knowing that they will be around soon causes me to start sweating. Its pretty bad.

Sprawling

Our nervous system takes normal anxiety that most people have and enhances it. In our case, it's in the form of sweat. People we like, don't like... sweat happens, unless it doesn't.

jaziwitz

It's **** like this that makes me angry to be me! I sweat more when I think about sweating or when I anticipate something. It's not necessarily anxiety but it makes me feel like I'm anxious, since the physical representation of that is sweat! I get sweaty around a guy I like AND around people I'm not comfortable around. Also when I'm put on the spot or when I am being expected to speak in front of a crowd, even if I know them well. Its odd though because in one instance, on the car ride to a guy's house, I'm dripping sweat from my hands, but when we get to his place, I'm relaxed again and stop sweating. What do you make of that?!

Sprawling

It's typical HH behavior. It's the norm for us. Many of us experience the same sort of thing. At least you are not alone.

Yrono

Just hope in time the sweating will decrease when you are around her. I believe sometimes there is just not much we can do to control it.

well, it was going well for the last couple of weeks, been sweating less. But this week I had a decline. Been sweating around her like in the beginning, and I really don't know why im sweating more now, instead of less like in the last couple of weeks.