Bad Social anxiety creeps up

Shortyn510

Ive had panic attacks and social anxiety for a while.....panic attacks have stopped pretty much, but in situations where I get real nervous and fear jumps in , i look away from people w the intense fear nd then goes away in a very short while.....................I wanted to hear your stories what you guys or gals do in those intense situations where social anxiety creeps in?? Thanks, people out there are cruel, ignorant, and gossip alot....

neardeath

Ive had panic attacks and social anxiety for a while.....panic attacks have stopped pretty much, but in situations where I get real nervous and fear jumps in , i look away from people w the intense fear nd then goes away in a very short while.....................I wanted to hear your stories what you guys or gals do in those intense situations where social anxiety creeps in?? Thanks, people out there are cruel, ignorant, and gossip alot....

Diaphragmatic breathing helps me the most. And heeding my own limitations and learning to say no. When I am real uncomfortable I try to excuse myself, but that doesn't work very well with family (who I'm kind of stuck with at the moment), but I am thinking about telling them to stuff it!

SamD

If your anxiety becomes unbearable, then it's worth going to the bathroom, just to give yourself a breather before you go back to the situation. You can splash cold water on your face in the bathroom, and this will calm you right down. This is because our bodies are programmed to slow right down upon coming into contact with cold water. It's called the "dive response".

jaim38

If your anxiety becomes unbearable, then it's worth going to the bathroom, just to give yourself a breather before you go back to the situation. You can splash cold water on your face in the bathroom, and this will calm you right down. This is because our bodies are programmed to slow right down upon coming into contact with cold water. It's called the "dive response".

Interesting. In addition, if you can't find a bathroom or if it's too crowded or nasty, there are other places to escape to like the staircase (one of my personal favorites). It's good to take a breather at someplace quiet before heading back out into the social environment again.

Quietguy11

I don't know what to do when it creeps up. I just remain calm as best I can, taking a few deep breaths, and remind myself that nothing bad can happen because I am positive social anxiety is not a physical (visible) illness. I have actually asked my friends if they noticed how anxious or uncomfortable I was in *that* social situation and they all said that I seemed fine and didn't look uncomfortable or anxious at all. Just remember, it's not as big as you think it is. Just don't let it scare you. It's smaller than you think.