Bad experience at job interview

Leonie

I had an interview for a job this morning and I felt it went badly:(

The woman was very snappy and overbearing. I struggled to answer some of the questions and I felt like I kept mispronouncing words because I was nervous!!

An awful experience!!! How does everyone cope in interviews?

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Hi Leonie, seriously, don't worry too much about that :) You did what you could, you went to the interview and did your best. Who cares what they think of you afterwards, it won't hurt you if you don't obsess about it. I find that we often have a very biased vision of our performances in interview, because we are so nervous and we think it shows. And I think that very often, the attitude of the person interviewing you has not much to do about you, it's her "interview attitude". Of course, maybe you are right and you didn't do great at this interview, I don't know, but the good thing is you did it, and it's a good practice: Now you can try to remember the questions that you struggled with and get prepared for the next interview, and try to find tips to be less nervous, etc.. :)

I've been feeling aweful and shaky a lot after interviews, but you really have to just let go and go on with the day. Just forget about it and send more resumes :D

Aaand welcome to the forum!

evernight

I had an interview Tuesday at walmart. I got so nervous and flustered that I had to leave. I really have a hard time dealing with the questions these places ask. Do they really actually prove that anyone will work any better if they can answer them fluidly? I feel like they couldnt care less if I just made up a bunch of crap, as long as I'm suave and confident they'd be happy.

coyote

Interviews aren't really about finding out whether you have the requisite skills or experience to do the job - you've already listed that information on your application or resume - they don't have to ask you that in person

An interview is an opportunity for the employer to feel out your personality, to see how you present yourself in person, your conduct, bearing, poise, appearance, interpersonal communication skills, etc.

Some employers try to shake you up on purpose - put you on the spot - to see how you'll respond. Try not to take it personally - think of it as a game. It depends on the job, of course, but most positions don't require you to come across as "supreme master and commander of the universe." You don't have to have all the answers.

Just try to stay calm, relaxed, poised, and smiling. If something throws you off, just smile and say, "wow, that really threw me off, hmmm" then pause, think of your best answer and give it. HOW you handle it is more important than the answers you give.

Interviews aren't really about finding out whether you have the requisite skills or experience to do the job - you've already listed that information on your application or resume - they don't have to ask you that in person

An interview is an opportunity for the employer to feel out your personality, to see how you present yourself in person, your conduct, bearing, poise, appearance, interpersonal communication skills, etc.

Some employers try to shake you up on purpose - put you on the spot - to see how you'll respond. Try not to take it personally - think of it as a game. It depends on the job, of course, but most positions don't require you to come across as "supreme master and commander of the universe." You don't have to have all the answers.

Just try to stay calm, relaxed, poised, and smiling. If something throws you off, just smile and say, "wow, that really threw me off, hmmm" then pause, think of your best answer and give it. HOW you handle it is more important than the answers you give.

Got some helpful tips from that thanks.:)

To the OP, as someone else mentioned, I agree that you maybe better off not having to work under someone who is like her anyway. Think of it that way.
Also don't feel bad about it, all you can do is your best. If that is not good enough for her, it does not mean it won't be for another interviewer in the future.:)

Leonie

Thanks for all the nice words:) they really helped! Jobhunting is so stressful!

Ps Mr. Tinkles is scary......the interviewer had a face like her haha

The woman was very snappy and overbearing. I struggled to answer some of the questions and I felt like I kept mispronouncing words because I was nervous!!

Congratulations on getting the job- hopefully the person who interviewed you was just the "scary interview lady" and not someone you will see all of the time... perhaps you got the job because you didn't run away screaming from the interview ::p:

Seriously though, I haven't had any "bad" interview experiences, but have had so many come to a dead end that I haven't even tried to get a new job in about 2 years. I know I should keep trying, but just the thought of filling out an application and going through the whole process again puts my stomach in knots... maybe your experience could give me renewed hope to try again.

normally when i think something gone bad, it actually went well.

it always seem to happen..

maybe u got the job! i bet, it always happen.. to everyone!

normally when i think something gone bad, it actually went well.

it always seem to happen..

maybe u got the job! i bet, it always happen.. to everyone!

Everyone, even "normal" people, but especially those of us with negative thought patterns, tend to have a skewed perception about things like this. I wouldn't say it's always better than what we think, but most often it is. Thinking the worst is actually one way people cope- because if you think the worst of it, then the result will likely be better than what we were expecting. Better that than think that we did a spectacular job and feel majorly let down when it doesn't work out.

Leonie

Thanks everyone for the congratulations!

It was my negative thinking that had distorted my view of my performance in the interview, although the woman really did interrogate me, I suppose it is a tactic to see how people react under pressure and if they keep their composure. Still, not a nice experience! Plus I won't be working with that particular woman in the company:)

Hope this helps anyone out there going for an interview soon, they use a lot of different techniques in interviews to get a suitable person for the role.......don't let it affect you too much!

funkyy

do anyone feel very anxious especially when the boss is around? and end up doing a worse job.

mikebird

Banned
How often do you tend to interview?

I'm desperate. It's not a hobby. I have a deep passion for doing what I know how to. Perhaps I overplay it.

In terms of a year, a month, or a week...?

My average is about 2 to 3 interviews per week. Some weeks are quiet; some busy.
I sometimes have more than 1 interview in a day. I have to make room for opportunities - each interviewer is completely different - I never know what to expect. So a good week is to pack in more than 5 interview slots into a week. It does happen, but attending an interview after just emerging from a previous one does scramble my thoughts, because each opportunity is very different.

I know that if I put one foot wrong, I'll be overlooked, not respected and useless. We all know that interviews are not fun. I express my CV in full detail, without lies, and everyone picks at that.. "Why did you stop working here? Why did it only last three months?"

There are plenty of fish in the ocean. Any employer can cream off the very best of all human resources, however they wish

LazyHermitCrab

.. don't like interviews either the interviewee usually sounds like a robot.. question after question and getting stared down, as each answer is being written down hehe.. sometimes it's like what am i even saying to this person.. i said a lot of nonsence for an interview before just so they're would be more writing and maybe they choose they're applicant by how much writing there is

caringsoul

Banned
the interview i had last time also went badly, because i wasnt prepared, but i didnt really wanted the job, i was offered it so i thought i try it out. i was asked questions i never thought of a better reply to, so it messed up. I didnt really wanted the job and i didnt got it, but i learned how to answer the question if i ever got it again, like how much do you think you are worth... and other questions..

but thats me, im sure yours didnt go as bad as you think. good luck!

JamesSmith

I always get nervous before interviews. The old cliche, "Believe in yourself," is actually good advice in an interview. Also, this may sound weird, but try not to care so much.

It's best to think of your interview as a casual conversation between you and another person. Taking pressure off yourself allows you to breathe and feel more comfortable, which will come off as confidence in your interview.

Remember this as well, an interview is the one time in life where you should be cocky and brag about yourself. Tell them how great you are. Go in there with an "I'm the best" attitude.

Last edited: