awkward silences

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I, uh...um. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . don't like them. . . . . .yeah

silent k

it seems to me that most of what people say to each other is meant to avoid silence. this just seems wrong to me. i think most of my social anxiety comes from the obligation to speak, or for that matter, others peoples fear of silence.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
it seems to me that most of what people say to each other is meant to avoid silence. this just seems wrong to me. i think most of my social anxiety comes from the obligation to speak, or for that matter, others peoples fear of silence.

Yeah, I think this is more of a human thing than a SA thing actually. Silence is seen as not having anything to say, which is okay, but the fear is that we don't have anything to say because we are boring or uncomfortable. And if being portrayed as uncomfortable makes us uncomfortable, makes us more uncomfortable and then we think we look even more uncomfortable (that's the nature of a panic attacks, if I understood correctly in class). A good way to fix this would be to change your thinking, and make sure you know that silences are okay, even though they may make the other person uncomfortable.

Last edited:

silent k

ya that makes sense vj288. i guess i just feel selfish for feeling comfortable when someone else is not

Richey

I don't mind silences and i don't find them awkward either, i have a few friends and even at work I can be talking to someone and there are lots of pauses and silences which i think is normal and it feels more natural, i actually find people who feel the need to fill in every gap with banter to be more awkward because often they are obviously trying to fill in the silences in a needy way.

so no i don't think silences are awkward at all. i think it's naive to think this.

I was sitting in a cafe the other day and this girl was talking non-stop, clearly to be heard and it was mostly annoying chit-chat and i could tell it was making the people around her uncomfortable.

I really like it when people can be quiet and to talk when it feels right and natural, so a bit of both is nice.

Last edited:

twiggle

............So er, anyway.
I'm gonna head off now. I just remembered I need to.... do.... something. That can only be done now.... Nice talking to you though, speak soon! Bye!

twiggle

I don't mind silences and i don't find them awkward either, i have a few friends and even at work I can be talking to someone and there are lots of pauses and silences which i think is normal and it feels more natural, i actually find people who feel the need to fill in every gap with banter to be more awkward because often they are obviously trying to fill in the silences in a needy way.

so no i don't think silences are awkward at all. i think it's naive to think this.

I was sitting in a cafe the other day and this girl was talking non-stop, clearly to be heard and it was mostly annoying chit-chat and i could tell it was making the people around her uncomfortable.

I really like it when people can be quiet and to talk when it feels right and natural, so a bit of both is nice.

Right on. You know you're comfortable with somebody if you can both just be silent, like on those long car journeys when you just have some music on and there's no silly chit-chat, just two (or more) people who can acknowledge that they don't have anything worth saying at that precise moment, but its ok because they don't need to. Just enjoy the moment together.

DeadCities

I can't remember who told me this, but the other person is expected to make conversation just as much as you are so you shouldn't feel any pressure or blame yourself for lags in your convo. It's still a little uncomfortable but you have to remember the other person probably feels this way too.

coyote

I can't remember who told me this, but the other person is expected to make conversation just as much as you are so you shouldn't feel any pressure or blame yourself for lags in your convo. It's still a little uncomfortable but you have to remember the other person probably feels this way too.

exactly - it's like a game of badminton

all you have to do is get the birdie over the net

then it's up to them to get it back to you

the silences are just the intervals between serves

it's ok if you flail around, swinging your racquet awkwardly

no one takes badminton seriously anyway

it's more challenging when you wear galoshes

have fun with it

Last edited:

silent k

word...............

Last edited:

okcancel

The other day in a class at school, a used-to-be-good-friend and I were watching a movie. It was only us. So. Freakin'. Awkward. Bleh, I just wanted to relax, but I couldn't. It was bad.

Most of these silences happen when I try to speak to someone, so I tend to avoid speaking to anyone.

silent k

The other day in a class at school, a used-to-be-good-friend and I were watching a movie. It was only us. So. Freakin'. Awkward. Bleh, I just wanted to relax, but I couldn't. It was bad.

Most of these silences happen when I try to speak to someone, so I tend to avoid speaking to anyone.

i feel your pain, but at least theres always lotioning right.

DeadCities

exactly - it's like a game of badminton

all you have to do is get the birdie over the net

then it's up to them to get it back to you

the silences are just the intervals between serves

it's ok if you flail around, swinging your racquet awkwardly

no one takes badminton seriously anyway

it's more challenging when you wear galoshes

have fun with it

Lol, thats a good way to put it.