Asked why don't I talk to people

Anxy

Last time I had a class we had sort of a free lesson after we finished all the stuff we had to do. I just took out my phone and stared at Tumblr for this whole time. Later my teacher asked me "Why don't you talk to your friends? Don't you like talking?". And it was one of those hella weird moments, because I didn't know what to say so I just sorta said "I..." and then i stopped, because the truth is... what could I say? What should I say?

fate12321

Ah, yes. I recall some awkward moments in which the teacher would basically say "what's wrong with you?" in a polite way. I never managed to actually formulate a response though.

Predacon

I've had students say that to me when I was in school, never had a teacher ask. It would be awkward because I'd be wondering what business is it of yours, but I'd be trying to come up with a polite way to put it.

Zooman

At least ur teacher cares. If ur teacher seems nice/understanding then i would just say the truth. I once told one of my teachers because i culd tell he was a nice person and he made my life in his class much easier because i told him. When i had to present a project he let me do it after class so i wouldn't have to present in front of the other students. He also never called on me in class either. If i hadn't told him I have SA he wouldn't have understood why i was so quiet and i would have never have gotten those benefits, so in that situation it was beneficial to tell the truth.

Anxy

At least ur teacher cares. If ur teacher seems nice/understanding then i would just say the truth. I once told one of my teachers because i culd tell he was a nice person and he made my life in his class much easier because i told him. When i had to present a project he let me do it after class so i wouldn't have to present in front of the other students. He also never called on me in class either. If i hadn't told him I have SA he wouldn't have understood why i was so quiet and i would have never have gotten those benefits, so in that situation it was beneficial to tell the truth.

My teacher asked me this in front of my classmates... not sure how many of them heard it. It was really embarassing.

Teachers from my old school knew I had SA so I had it 'easier'. You know, they got mental illness related papers and stuff. So they had to behave a certain way. It was helpful with my severe anxiety, but after some time it was upsetting because of reasons.

Xion

I am almost always quiet in my classroom. There are some days that I don't utter a word to anyone or teacher in my class. But no one asked me that though..

zharl

As someone who is going into the teaching profession, maybe I can shed some light on the motivations behind this question. It depends on how the statement was said. I know that as a teacher, I grow to resent it when my students are on their phones 24/7, but that's only if it's interrupting one of my lessons, and the situation you described doesn't sound like you were off task, or distracted during a class activity.

Maybe this was meant to be a joke of some kind? Was it said sarcastically? Did he or she sound legitimately concerned, or was the teacher just annoyed at you for being on your phone?

StarKitty

If in any way possible, I suggest explaining your teacher the problem. I did that myself and it helped out a lot. I don't have to present in front of the class anymore which is a huge relief for me.

StarKitty

I am almost always quiet in my classroom. There are some days that I don't utter a word to anyone or teacher in my class. But no one asked me that though..

That's pretty much my every single day in school. I guess it just doesn't even bother me anymore...

zharl

If in any way possible, I suggest explaining your teacher the problem. I did that myself and it helped out a lot. I don't have to present in front of the class anymore which is a huge relief for me.

Agreed. Open communication is always the best! If any one of my students had concerns I would want them to come to me. That being said, approaching and talking to your teacher can be difficult, especially with SA. Just remember, teachers are people too. Even though he or she might be in a position of authority, they have to go through life like the rest of us. Some of them--like myself--might even have SA!

Zooman

My teacher asked me this in front of my classmates... not sure how many of them heard it. It was really embarassing.

Teachers from my old school knew I had SA so I had it 'easier'. You know, they got mental illness related papers and stuff. So they had to behave a certain way. It was helpful with my severe anxiety, but after some time it was upsetting because of reasons.

Oh yeah that sucks :/ I've had that happen to me also before. I think the people who say that kind of stuff just don't realize how upsetting what they are saying really is.

flybee

my school life was normal but in my college time things went crazy, i was more self concious than before, i was over-whelmed with thoughts of being judged every secs. i was not sound, only alprazolam helped me