are you a private person?

alex29

Im a very private person. I dont like people knowing what Im doing 24/7 and I dont like people knowing things about my personal life. I keep a lot of things secret and very few people know my feelings on things.

the idea of gossip spreading about me scares me and if I tell someone something I make sure they know I dont want them to tell anyone else. Im very select about who I tell things to

I dont like people knowing what I do online even tho its nothing bad at all. I just like my privacy

are you the same?

Yes, I can very much relate to you. I will not let people see what I'm writing, what I'm doing, or anything like that. I will always always minimize or close the window on the computer if someone walks in. I don't even like to watch to tv I like because I'm afraid people will think I'm stupid because of it. Too private. Uggh I hate it!

dottie

yes totally. except i do love to have the curtains wide open so i can get sunshine. i'm not so worried about people peeking in; fortunately, i don't live on a busy street. :)

eR1k

alex29 said:
Im a very private person. I dont like people knowing what Im doing 24/7 and I dont like people knowing things about my personal life. I keep a lot of things secret and very few people know my feelings on things.

the idea of gossip spreading about me scares me and if I tell someone something I make sure they know I dont want them to tell anyone else. Im very select about who I tell things to

I dont like people knowing what I do online even tho its nothing bad at all. I just like my privacy

are you the same?
Perhaps you think you are a very private person, while infact you are just afraid to show people who you really are, because you are ashamed about some aspects of yourself and/or your life?

maggie

alex29 said:

are you the same?
yup, i'm the same as you. It was really really hard at my last job (coffee shop), as i worked with many women who didn't seem shy about going on and on about every detail of their lives..and expected me to do the same :?

Unfortunately I don't really have much of a personal life, so it's not really about avoiding people knowing what I do, but all the things I don't do.

slimjim119

I'm the same way too. I don't like people who are nosy and pry into my business. Especially personal issues. I keep things private. I don't want to be the center of attention.

sevenroses

Private is my middle name. Even when people ask me what I did over the weekend or on my days off I tend to get private. But I don't really like when people ask that anyways. I makes me feel like I'm a boring person which doesn't help at all.

turtlegirl

I'm very private too and hate when people get too inquisitive. In return I respect other people's privacy but that just means I don't ask them about themselves unless they bring up a topic first. One of the tips given for conversation is to keep asking people about themselves because everybody loves to talk about themselves. Not me! So I won't do it to anyone else either unless they are obviously open.

ripewithdecay

Private, in my opinion, is actually a positive trait to have. I find people who keep their true feelings, hobbies/passions, and personal lives private to be mysterious, wise, and all the more interesting. Because the longer you get to know them the more you sort of uncover. It's kind of a rewarding experience in the long run.

recluse

I think it's wise to be private. I mean the guys at work talk too much about their private lives which is stupid.

IWouldPreferNotTo

I'm exactly the same way. I don't share a lot of personal things with people. I definitely need to learn to open up more, but I think people won't care or they'll be freaked out or whatever.

Have you ever talked to someone and they just open up about stuff and you're thinking 'I can't believe they just told me that!?'. Sometimes it's not anything that's a big deal, but something I still wouldn't share with anyone.

spectator

I'm the odd one out here. Though I rarely get the oppurtunity to, if people, especially girls, ask me personal things, I tell them literally everything. That includes love-shyness & having SA, as well as family-related things, and also any single detail of anything I happen/happened/want to be doing if they ask me. And I never ask for info in return so usually in these conversations it's like a willing interrogation. I generally just trust everyone and amazingly no one has bothered to screw me over yet.

IceLad

There are two sides of the spectrum. On one hand you can tell everyone every single detail about your life. On the oppsite end, you can hardly reveal anything about yourself. I think most people with SP, including me, hinder on the later.

Personally I think I've learnt to be a private person because of all the negative life experiences I've had in the past i.e. it's some sort of defence mechanism- 'Don't tell anyone anything otherwise they will use it against you'.

I'm trying to be more open these days whilst not going to the other side of the spectrum! If you don't open up, at least a little, I think it puts people off. A friend of mine is a really good listener, but despite me asking, he never, ever reveals much about himself or his family. As a result, I think to myself 'Why do I bother?'.

Zarrix

"What you being doing?"

"Nothing much" is the kneejerk reaction to that question. I don't like people knowing what I do at home (except my best friends), I don't like people seeing what I am doing on the internet, even though the stuff I look up isn't bad, and I hate watching TV with other people around.

Watching TV with other people around is the worst, especially my parents even though Im 17, urrgh.

Moonie

I'm definitely a private type person.

I am not as private as I used to be .... but I will always be private. Part of me finds it liberating to just expose a part of me. But, I have some reservations still. Even though I am saying I am NOT as private as I used to be, I am still extremely private. Lol.

piper23

YES!!! I am really private. I stay in hotels when we visit my hubby's inlaws I HATE staying at their house. Also it drives me up the wall when my MIL tries to snoop through my things. I want what's mine to stay mine. Fortunately my DH respects my privacy, as he is a lil like me, tho not as bad. I don't like ppl looking at what I'm reading or watching online. I don't blab my life to ppl like they expect me to, hey once you are a good friend then I will trust you with more but for now, I am deep waters. :wink:

Cynic

I don't particularly want everyone and anyone knowing about my day to day life. It is true that if you tell people much about yourself, they will use it against you sooner or later. I tend not to discuss myself (or others) in any great detail. My conversations generally focus on ideas, situations, the bigger picture of things. As I am no one important, I can only assume when people ask me questions about myself, they are looking for the right buttons to push. I'm too ashamed and embarrassed with myself to open up to anyone.

JamesMorgan

I consider myself to be very open. Then again i still conceal certain things for certain reasons but i guess it depends on what it is.

Dusti

RipeWithDecay -- That's a fantastic way to look at it. I think there are multiple reasons why I tend to keep things private but one of them is that I usually have quite different and (sometimes) more complex ways of looking at things in general. I'm usually around a more conservative crowd (however, not by choice) and I feel like what I have to say would not be understood or appreciated. Perhaps that's some kind of fear of rejection. Not to mention that much of the time I can't get a word in edge-wise anyway -- so the effort just isn't worth it to me. As you said, people usually "uncover" me in layers over the course of time -- but many don't hang around long enough or they use me as their audience. thanks for putting that into perspective.

Last edited: