Anyone go to church w/ or w/o people?

whos_that_girl

I've really wanted to start going to church again, but, i'd be alone and I don't want to feel all paranoid and anxious in a church. I've gone alone before and it was very akward for me.

That's partly why I haven't gone in many years... not having anyone to go with. People don't talk about it much on here (seems to be mostly atheists/agnostics), but church is a very social setting. And the longer I stay away, the more I question the value of going in the first place- I just don't know what to believe anymore ::(:

Harleyq

I don't think I'd be comfortable with it, to be honest. I'm not religious, but when I was forced to go to church, it was the worst social experience ever to occur on a regular basis. Church go-ers are the nosiest groups of people I've ever come across. Maybe not with everybody else, but definitely with eachother.

Silvox Black

I may be Christian, but I would never support the Church, though my mother does not seem to understand that. The Church was never supported by Jesus and rightly so, since it has bred an environment that gives people the false impressions that they know the answers to everything and that they have a "God given" right to enforce their beliefs on other people. I am certain Jesus was wondering "What have I done" when he allowed man to organize religion, since organizing religion with man only turns into a melting pot that society can warp and twist to their own devices. To me, church is not worth going to, which isn't to say that discussing beliefs with like minded followers is wrong, but try to find a non-corrupt group to do such things with.

AimeeSP

I now and again go to Church, i want to believe but i'm struggling so much with depression now it's really hard to believe. The Church i go too is lovely though, everyone is so kind and there's actually alot of young people. And they play some really good acoustic/rock inspired worship music, not boring hymns (no offence).

Noca

Banned
The last few years of going to church I'd hide in the stairwells cause of my undiagnosed SA at the time.

Kieran

I go to church quite often, and I'm comfortable sitting alone (no one in my family except my grandfather goes to church). However, my church has a presbyterian structure, and most of the members are semi-calvanists. So it's very non-threatening. I feel comfortable and accepted there. However, any time I've had to go to a large, impersonal church (Roman Catholic, etc.), I've always felt very uncomfortable. Probably because the more conservative denominations suffer the issues Silvox pointed out. So maybe what you need to do is try to find a church that is comfortable for you. There must be many different churchers near you. Just a matter of trying them out to find one that you like. And heck, you could go to 5 or 10 on a given Sunday. Just slip in the back, stick around for 10 minutes, and see how you feel. Although I'd say you probably need to give them a bit more time then that to see if it's really the right one for you.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I don't and wouldn't go to that place. It brings too many bad memories. I don't like anything that has to do with religion... i have had enough of that.

206Raider

I'm christian but don't go to church, I don't live like a christian. I even feel all out of place there, like a bad apple or something. I hate how they tellin me look to god for help, it's deeper than that.