Anyone go from outgoing to having S.A.?

I used to be really outgoing as a child, I would say up until 16yrs and then I started suffering from depression which led to my downfall.
Do you ever get confused about who you are, since you were outgoing at one time and now its been some years and your the total opposite? Do you ever wonder what the hell happened to the old you? I think no matter how much medication or therapy I'll never be the way I used to be. Maybe I'm not meant too? So for 16yrs I was very outgoing, and now for 13yrs I've been very intoverted and suffer from S.A. Ive changed dramatically. What gives?

anomicdeer

SAme thing here. I never had medication for it though. But when I was 13, I...changed...I started thinking different. At 16...became depressed and had no friends...and this is who I am now. No kind of social life since I'm out of school now and have no job

johnny 85

i was the same up till 19, 20 i tink, then i got SA , i also tink i had depression but at the time i did nt realise what it was. i know what caused my SA and i believe now that i ll never be the person i was , before i got SA .

Last edited:

Emily_G

I was outgoing in high school when I was a covert stutterer and was living a double life (home and out of the home).

I was never very outgoing, but I used to be sort of normal up until a few years ago. I gradually lost all of my friends as I started, for some reason, to feel like I didn't belong in my environment. Eventually, I pushed everyone away (And I really mean everyone - including family), until I was completely alone; and from then on, I began to lose my social skills. And that led to this trap. of feeling like getting close to anyone is an impossible task.

I've read somewhere that there used to be a very steady military man of high standing. I think it was in the US. I mean this is the kind of guy that is as steady as you can get. But after his post as a submarine commander for a long period of time and the chronic stress, he became depressed and from his account, I think maybe has social anxiety too.

I think a lot of people are this way. They get their support or resources taken from them or they meet overly intense challenges or just get bullied into SA even when they were once social.

AGlife

ya i can completely relate to this. I use to be extremely social. I remember going to summer camp (when i was about 12) and just making friends with pretty much everyone. Now I'm the quiet kid in the corner. I like to think though, that the personality exists, just masked by my SA.

nicknamehere

Yup, I really miss the old me. Although I was still a shy kid, that didn't stop me from having friends, going out, and have an attitude of 'who cares what people think'. Beginning of highschool and onwards has dramatically changed. I know I'll never get my old self back.