Anyone feel...

aj

...like if you had just one or two really good friends who would help you get used to being with people, stuck with you through that and showed you what to do, that things would be so much easier?

EscapeArtist

Yes.............. :(

I thought I had one recently, but she started ditching me for party people, drinking and drugs. She started by ditching me on my birthday. I thought she was the one person I'd always have, the person I could tell anything, so after 4 years, I stopped altering my words before I said them, showed her this real me, I've never doen that with anybody!

and POW. I get loneliness. I don't blame her, I wouldn't put up with myself unless I had to.

aj

Yes.............. :(

I thought I had one recently, but she started ditching me for party people, drinking and drugs. She started by ditching me on my birthday. I thought she was the one person I'd always have, the person I could tell anything, so after 4 years, I stopped altering my words before I said them, showed her this real me, I've never doen that with anybody!

and POW. I get loneliness. I don't blame her, I wouldn't put up with myself unless I had to.

That's horrible. ::(:

garry29

I know what your saying but I think the only person that can get you used to being with other people is yourself. It helps to be around new people if you're with friends but what happens when they move on (which they do) is you're back to square one. Best thing to do from what I observe other people do is make new friends from existing friends so you always have a pool of friends around you. Easier said than done of course.

black-wings

You're right. I'm trying that now with friends I have been with for 5 years. It's tough::(:But (and this isnt a cop out) I learned to accept that Im a quiet person and eventually someone will take a liking to you.

awkwardamanda

Yeah, I've often thought that it's easier to make friends if you have them already. It's easier to mingle with other groups if you've already got your own. It's hard to just kinda barge in on an established group of friends on your own and expect to just fit in. I find that I don't feel too out of place if I'm with a friend and meeting some of her friends. I can join in the conversation a little and not feel super uncomfortable, as long as it's only a small group. But to start from scratch making friends is damn near impossible. I only have two friends and I'm not real close with either of them. I've known one since elementary school and the other since junior high. Any other friends I've had have come and gone. I spent six years at university and did not make a single friend. The few people I ever talked to were merely acquaintances. It was depressing to see all the people I had classes with, outside of class, talking and hanging out and socializing, not to mention studying together. But I was too quiet. I just sat there like a log most of the time. I wanted to get to know them. I just didn't know how and missed every chance I had.

dooby-duck

Yes, definitely. One of my regrets is letting all of my friends drift away. Friends can give you a push to try new things, talk to new people, go to different places. A lot of things just seem wrong on your own.