Anyone else have thin walls or floors?

So I got this apartment last September, it looked decent enough, but after I moved in I noticed the floor upstairs was really squeaky. It was tolerable though, but then another person moved in with them upstairs, and now it's like all the time. It's all these weird squeaking and grunting noises, plus whistles, bumps, cracks, thumps and groans. I often have to put in earplugs to get to sleep.

I've tried white noise, but it's never loud enough to drown it out. Listening to my ipod seems to be the best, but I do get tired of listening to music constantly.

The worst thing though is that my floor has several squeaky spots also, and it makes me self-conscious walking around in my apartment. I like to pace around, to get some exercise, especially if I can't make it outside. But it's like I get frozen with the awareness that someone else is aware of me, which causes all this anxiety. And I know that they can hear me because I've talked to them. And they know that I can hear them. It's like someone is in my personal space. I need my personal space! (really, I'm a total introvert).

Anyway, I know I'm ranting. I just need to move, break the lease if possible. But I was just wondering how other people deal with this. :confused:

lettypagb

i lived in a house like this once ,i moved like 932795 times , so wanst a big deal to move again , sorry if it looks weirdo , but i think you should just move.

princess_haru

Try getting a big, fluffy rug for your floor - it won't stop you hearing them but it may stop them hearing you! And yeah, my walls are thin too. I live in a tiny terraced house and can hear my neighbours talking through the walls on both sides!

i lived in a house like this once ,i moved like 932795 times , so wanst a big deal to move again , sorry if it looks weirdo , but i think you should just move.

Yeah, I'm thinking that too - it seems to add a ridiculous amount of stress to my life. I hate moving though, because I have so much stuff. I guess I'll just put it in storage or something.

Try getting a big, fluffy rug for your floor - it won't stop you hearing them but it may stop them hearing you! And yeah, my walls are thin too. I live in a tiny terraced house and can hear my neighbours talking through the walls on both sides!

Heh, it would have to be a really fluffy rug to do that - these floors are really sensitive and creaky. It's my fault though - I should have checked it out better when I moved in. I was just in such a rush to find an apartment, I took the first one I found. (Less dealing with people that way, also).

But I did manage to find a spot where I can do some exercise without making noise, which is good.

Yikes, does it bother you knowing that people can hear you talking also?

TheNewZero

I had an apartment like that last year. The walls were super thin and every time someone was in the hall you could hear everything. It was like someone was in my apartment with me. Horrible. You might want to think about moving when your lease is up. I couldn't stand living in a place like that.

I had an apartment like that last year. The walls were super thin and every time someone was in the hall you could hear everything. It was like someone was in my apartment with me. Horrible. You might want to think about moving when your lease is up. I couldn't stand living in a place like that.

Yeah that sounds bad too. I hope that in the afterlife the people who built these places have to live in them as punishment. I'm definitely gonna have to be more careful about renting places in the future. I just never had such a problem before, and I've lived in like 11 apartments over the years.

I think it's directly contributed to me missing half my classes this semester, cause I never get to really recharge my energy, which I *really* need in order to deal with people and homework and stuff. It sucks. I'm gonna have to talk to the college and see if I can drop some classes for non-academic reasons, cause it's so late in the semester.

nephatitus

I know your pain
\\
uggghhh its horrible in my room, i can hear everything in this house, especialy when when all of your family like to yel when they talk

Socially_Retarded

I recently lived in an apartment like that too, I had a neighbor downstairs who used to bang on the floor when I walked around late at night so I had to learn how to do this retarded tip-toe walk. I'm living in a share house at the moment with a couple of other students, but im still mindful about the amount of noise I make, its stupid really.

2Crowded

Sounds like the floor boards probly need re-screwing & or maybe even replaced..over time the screws & or nails can work loose in floors & you get squeaking....im guessing the landlord isent interested in fixing the problem though until someone falls through lol...as carpet would need to be pulled up & then replaced to do so...spose you could complain & see what they say but im guessing that wont do much... i think Id move.