Anyone else have eczema or something other skin condition?

dmsteyn

Hi everyone. First time I'm posting a thread, so be gentle. ;)

I've had eczema since I was born, but, unlike most babies and children, mine has gotten worse with age. It was still ok in primary school, but it really got out of hand in high school, which was obviously the worst time to develop a skin condition that makes you stand out, especially if you also have undiagnosed SA. I was called things like "nappy rash", "leper-boy", and "AIDS".

I'm sure this was one of the contributing factors to my SA getting worse. Anyone else have similar conditions and stories? Thanks!

xSleepy

I have eczema, but I don't think I was ever made fun of because of it. Other kids probably just wondered why I got so red around my lips. I have eczema on my lips and as a kid I didn't know how to deal with it properly. So when my lips were dry I would constantly lick them which made it so much worse. I also have eczema on my hands.

But yeah, thankfully no one teased me about it. I'm sorry you had to go through that. I'm sure that would affect my anxiety too. Where do you have eczema at? Do you have good control over it or is it still bad?

emre43

I have eczema. I don't wash with soap anymore I only ever use aqueous cream and I always apply doublebase gel to areas in which I used to get eczema. I skin is now as smooth as a babies bottom.

dmsteyn

But yeah, thankfully no one teased me about it. I'm sorry you had to go through that. I'm sure that would affect my anxiety too. Where do you have eczema at? Do you have good control over it or is it still bad?

I have it over my whole body, especially on my legs and torso. My control of it has improved over the last couple of years, but it used to be so that I couldn't walk - bending my knees was difficult because of the eczema on the inside of them.

Thanks for your concern! :)

dmsteyn

I have eczema. I don't wash with soap anymore I only ever use aqueous cream and I always apply doublebase gel to areas in which I used to get eczema. I skin is now as smooth as a babies bottom.

I've got much the same regime now, and it really helps. I think the emotional scars are worse.

Remus

Staff member
I get it on my nose and ears. I use Dakort cream which helps clean it up. Tend to get it much worse in the winter.

mikebird

Banned
I have been blaming my declining life on eczema for a while, only ever right on my face.

New insight. I don't like citing health as a root for my trouble. I've had a lot, since birth! They come in priority! Actually, second to health, comes my family. I don't like excuses. As I recover with a hardcore inbuilt determination to succeed socially and healthwise, starting with the basic 7-year-old sharpscratch resilience to long-term overuse of my vein access for tests and 'treatment'

After a youth of thin, non-clotting blood and a ban on contact sports, and military practice at school, my thirties age was accompanied by epilepsy, caused by my blood history.

I swept aside my eczema for years, as organ removal and countless months strapped into straightjackets for 'my own safety' - a difficult time when family members would laugh at my eczema. Now it's prominent, while I can ignore all my other problems, but they may well come back.

Still dwelling on sister-in-law criticsm who said 'he'll never have a girlfriend' when I was very little, and later did 'worry' about my face, covered in eczema. Now my brain, my memory, co-ordination is perfect.

There is a wholesome setback with dreaded health, but I'm sure the red nose & cheeks are the simple reason why people turn their backs on me. They can't tolerate such a leper in their prim & proper Hollywood-style offices where nothing in the world matters apart from what your face looks like.

I've had white creams of the calibre of aqueous E45, Daktarin, Oilatum, DIPROBASE, Elocon, and I've compared them all over years. I'd say all of these do exactly the same, making the condition worse, encouraging the flakes and redness to come back, and it's very hard to resist the itchy scratching addiction. Maybe it's all happened because I used shampoo to get rid of dandruff. That's a real slap in the face.

Best treatment I've tried so far is a transparent corticosteriod gel - not creamy - Eumovate, which takes a few hours to absorb into the skin, looking shiny, but gets the skin to a good matte, soft and flakefree result. Seasons never matter. The condition takes a back seat or rears its head when it wants to, in the hot or cold. Maybe it's what gets into my tummy that has the most effect

I think of the undesired appearance equivalent to wearing spectacles, or the tooth grids, or a bald head? Haven't been prone to any of these.

Wondering if the reasons for rejection could be so simple to basic people. If the prerequisites of any actor, sports pro, musician, artist, if you just have to be the best of the very best, scoring top or if skin or any of the above appearance factors apply first

Last edited:

dmsteyn

Wondering if the reasons for rejection could be so simple to basic people. If the prerequisites of any actor, sports pro, musician, artist, if you just have to be the best of the very best, scoring top or if skin or any of the above appearance factors apply first

I think that people can be very superficial in their reactions to appearance. The professions you mention are very much based on appearance as well, though I guess there are exceptions (e.g. Thom Yorke of Radiohead has a very prominent eye-defect). I wish people would focus on performance, results, and character, but unfortunately, we usually notice looks before accomplisments.

I agree that we shouldn't cite physical problems as the root of our problems. It does contribute, though it isn't the be-all and end-all.

cocorose

I have these tiny bumps, mostly on my upper arms.. it's called keratosis pilaris. I've had them since I can remember and they never go away. On researching I've read they sometimes go away as you get older but they are still there. I hate it and sometimes I'm embarrased wearing short sleeves or tank tops, but, I've learned to live with it. It helps if you learn to accept your flaws and realize no one is perfect.

Last edited:

JohnnAY

Not sure if this qualifies as a skin condition, but I have a good amount of excess skin around my body. This is due to a dramatic drop in weight during high school. It has been the bane of my existence, and I'm pretty sure it's the root cause of my anxiety.

I feel like an octopus sometimes.

dmsteyn

Well, if it's your skin that's giving you the problem, then sure, I'd say that counts as a skin condition. I've gained a lot of weight due to my medication, so I have the opposite problem.

JohnnAY

It's not nearly as bad as it was a couple of years ago. I'm getting used to it, plus I can hide stuff in there, like candy.

I'm sorry to hear about your weight gain, is there a way you can at least maintain a healthy range through diet or exercise.

JohnnAY

Bah! Well, as long as the weight doesn't become a serious concern. No problem man! I'm sure you're on top of it. Good luck!

Well, if it's your skin that's giving you the problem, then sure, I'd say that counts as a skin condition. I've gained a lot of weight due to my medication, so I have the opposite problem.

Ugh I know all about that. Well I don't have eczema (is that the right spelling....hehe) But I have urticaria which isn't a million miles away. And the urticaria was part of another condition necessitated popping steroids like candy for years and resulted in... eh... a bit of weight gain. :eek:h: One problem begets another. eh. I'm 5 '10 and I think I went from about 135lbs to about 196lbs. Yikes, good news is it can be lost, I'm back down now well...I have about 15lbs to go but I'm getting there.