anyone else a complete hermit?

Foxglove

Hey Spearmint. . . I'm so sorry your so-called parents are so rotten. You have a right to be respected and loved just how you are. Are you getting some help from a therapist? I wish I could send you a hug. You sound like you need one.

Foxglove

Slash

Starry said:
I completely relate to that - I never leave the house, I have no real life friends. My mum gets upset and embarrassed by it too. I'm 21 though.

I have no idea of how to cope in the world. I've been stuck like this since I was 16. I finished school, then nothing!

But I know I can't go on living like this forever. It's just really difficult to actually do anything. In a way, I'm scared to get better, because, that will mean having to face reality, and feeling completely lost and overwhelmed. I mean, how do you go from nothing to even a fraction of normal? I really can't see it at all. :?

I'm sorry you're feeling lonely. *Hugs* You won't feel as lonely posting on here though, there are so many friendly people that can understand and relate.

Welcome to the forum. :)

I was moved to post this really is a topic I can relate to well, It's like I was 16 and then suddenly one leaves school and is suddenly expected to be an adult,find a job have the responsiblity. a long time ago my psychatrist told me that's it's hard time for many people the transisition from teen to adult.

And i guess for me it never really felt as if i did make that transisition i still feel very much young in terms of life experience. I'm 23/24 now and I'm a vegatable :D, tomatoe <i do nothing and i dont know why>

i am not this person which makes it all the more difficult to wonder why all this times gone by and why i havent done anything about it>

Foxglove

Hi Spearmint. What makes you think it's not a good idea to see a therapist? It's never a bad idea to seek help. It's a bad idea to just let things ride and hope they will disappear. You're still young, you still have a chance to change things. I wish I could have gotten help for myself sooner, maybe I wouldn't be the way I am now. Are you scared of seeing a therapist, the trip to get there, or whatever? I hope you will change your mind.

Greetings from Foxglove

tommydog

hermitdafrog i hope now you can see you are not alone.

Dann i took inspiration from something you said. You said that its important to make that human contact, even just by saying hello to a passer by.

I think thats what i need to do, is start noticing the little things again and appreciating them more. I no longer have debilitating anxiety issues, but i think if i applied the above principle it would help me improve further.

Mick i used to live in a party city aswell. I felt crap because i had too much anxiety to go out to the clubs and do everything all the young ravers were doing and having a riot. That place has many events aswell that i missed out on, like the awesome indy car racing which is a street circuit wow !!! So many babes, so much action, so much fun, and i kinda let it pass me by while i looked on. I know how that feels.

I'm mostly a hermit. I only really go out to university and out with my parents. If I go to a movie it's either on my own or with my parents and I don't go out other than that.

I don't really have any friends so I spend all my free time in the lbrary at university and I come straight home at the end of the day. I actually like going for long drives but it's leaving the car that's a problem. I'm 20 years old by the way.

Richey

dancingpurplecat said:
I'm mostly a hermit. I only really go out to university and out with my parents. If I go to a movie it's either on my own or with my parents and I don't go out other than that.

I don't really have any friends so I spend all my free time in the lbrary at university and I come straight home at the end of the day. I actually like going for long drives but it's leaving the car that's a problem. I'm 20 years old by the way.

wow thats me 8O

im living a similar lifestyle to you, i also enjoy long drives and i see movies alone, the reason i see films alone is so i can absorb it all in without worrying about having a friend to entertain, and there are lots who do the same, if anyone was to ask "why im by myself" i would just be honest, but people dont really care to be honest.

apart from school & work i come straight home, but i enjoy my own company alot of the time, i do have two friends that i need to visit in the near future, im more a hermit then a person who goes to pubs or parties, im not a huge drinker anyway.

spdiegoguy

I've come to this realization to this as well. I've got two years on you with age. I've realized that besides school and gym, I don't leave the house. On weekends, I do go out and a couple group of friends, but that's because whatever we do, there's always alcohol involved. That substance can only do so much for you though. Once you become sober, you won't have move any further up the anxiety latter.

slowmotiondaydream

The mention of beverages that contain alcohol does grab the attention when someone mentioned a party.
Throughout the Christmas holidays the thought sungk in about being a as we call it a 'hermit'. I hardly went out, i used to just spend my time infront on the computer. Having a near 2 months off..you would think there is no real point into getting out of bed in the mornings. Nevertheless my family was very helpful and fun throughout that period and now.

The thought about going out and meeting new friends sound awesome, but the physical part is the hardest.
At home, there is this some what a positive atmosphere, a feeling of security, a feeling that no one is watching you and waiting for you to create any faults to be laughed out.

Having read this thead, it makes me feel content that somewhere out there, there is people also at home, also feeling that 'hermit' feeling. Instead of that, we could be meeting each other togther and creating our own little social circle. Then who would be laughing!

lol..i think i got carried away there anyway.

fruitbat

I go to the library every once in a while, but that's it. Winter definitely doesn't help things, if it was warm I could at least spend some time outside.

But I'm definitely a social hermit. I have a few people I interact with online, but outside of the computer I have no one. And I can't exactly go out and do things if I don't have anyone to do them with...

I used to have college classes, but eventually the anxiety got so overwhelming that I stopped going even to them.

So I just stay at home, and whenever someone outside of my immediate family comes over I hide in my room. My brother has band practices every Saturday, and the house is full of people, I get so nervous that I stay in my room the entire day, until everyone leaves.

I recently worked up the courage to tell my doctor about it and am starting treatment, so I am taking the first steps towards getting better. (Or trying to)

recluse

When i am at work i am actually quite social at times but that's mainly a front just to get through my work day. As soon as i am home i don't see anyone apart from my parents and my cat, because people drain me and i have enough of people at work.

EveM

I only leave the house about twice a week now.. on Friday to do the food shopping with my mum and then maybe go for a nice country walk with my mum on mondays :D

Caseums21

Number1usjoe said:
Its true that after you have your drunken confidences and experiences u will return to being a hermit but I am happy for the times I had.

I'm 23 and I would get drunk to stay calm and have confidence. When I would get sober, I would freak out.

Now I never leave the house and I can't drink anymore due to health issues. I don't mind not drinking but now I am a hermit and only leave the house when I have to. I don't go see friends anymore and lost touch with a lot of them. Some come to my house but when they are here, sometimes I can't wait till they leave.

I know that sounds awful but I can't help it. Sometimes I would rather be alone. My dad is used to me staying home now. I can't get any help because I have no income or insurance. So, I'm pretty much out of luck.

DT123

If I had time to be a hermit..I most certainly would be. It is very unhealthy but I look forward to the weekends because it means that I can withdraw from everything and everyone for two days....