Anyone been to group therapy?

planemo

Does anyone have any experience of group therapy? I'm thinking of going into it, but surprise, surprise i'm as scared as hell... :eek:h:

gazelle

I've never experienced it but, I've tried a job that involved teamwork as some sort of group therapy instead, overall the experience did teach me a few social lessons...go for it :thumbup:

Yes. I didn't find it very helpful, but then the group only met for a few weeks. I imagine you'd need more time than that to work on anything SA-related. I think my group was more of a "get-back-on-your-feet" type of thing (it was after I had just gotten out of the hospital).

It can be frustrating if there are more dominant/talkative personalities there, but if you're going to a group specifically for SA maybe you won't have that problem. In my experience people are very kind and accepting and don't make you feel awkward. Good chance to make friends too. If you're on the fence, I'd say go for it. You can always stop going if it's too much.

GraybeardGhost

I spent a fair amount of time in group counseling about ten years ago. This was for substance abuse recovery, not specifically SA, but I believe the principle is pretty much the same. Once I adjusted to the atmosphere, I found it remarkably comfortable and supportive. I was pleasantly surprised by the sense of camaraderie that can quickly develop within a group of complete strangers once they discover that they're all in the same boat.

I started out just listening to other people talk about their issues and problems, but pretty soon I was putting in my own two cents, making suggestions, offering support. One day, it just seemed natural to start talking about my own issues, and in the following weeks, I received a lot of help in dealing with some of the stuff that was troubling me. I won't claim that it was easy or that it solved all my problems—it certainly didn't "cure" me—but it did help a great deal, and I doubt I'd still be sober today had I not done it.

SA, of course, changes the game considerably, but if you're going to a group that specifically addresses that condition, you'll find that everyone else there feels a lot like you do. They'll have had many experiences similar to your own—the kinds of experiences that seem ubiquitous among people like us. Once you get past the initial fear, I suspect you'll find it just as comfortable and rewarding as I did. I certainly hope so.

davidburke

I have just started had the first one on thursday actually. It was quite terrifying i didn't say anything but i still feel good for sitting through it and I will keep going for the remaining 5 sessions. i really hope i will be able speak a bit and get as much as i can out of it

GraybeardGhost

I have just started had the first one on thursday actually. It was quite terrifying i didn't say anything but i still feel good for sitting through it and I will keep going for the remaining 5 sessions. i really hope i will be able speak a bit and get as much as i can out of it

Well done, sir! :thumbup:

planemo

Thanks all for the replies.:bigsmile: I actually felt the same fear when i started one on one therapy, but in time i have found it a place where i feel safe. i hope the same happens here. as far as i know it's not specifically about SA but it's a group of people with mental issues, so in that sense, i should feel more comfortable.

but the thought of being around more than one person is still scary to me. the more eyes i feel on me, the harder it is for me to focus. at this point in time i'd say i'm 70/30 in favour of going.