Anyone beat SA completely?

vanfuggle

I do alright. I can go to gatherings or parties and not fall apart, but I do have to prepare myself before hand.

I also have to be extra patient with myself when I am pre menstrual. The hormonal thing can really make my symptoms bad.

As you said, it does take a lot of determination, but it is definitely worth it. I live a full life of quality today, thank God.

mrb

after reading all this well what can i say :) way to go blue .... im so glad your happy with life your old mate gazza :D

BlackKids

Not completely, but I've made a lot of progress. I'm almost back to the way I used to be only with more knowledge and experience under my belt. I'm a lot happier and more confident now, but I still want to work on my confidence.
CBT helped tremendously, but I also pushed myself to be more social, to take advantage of opportunities when they were presented to me....
It's excellent that you've made this decision to fight your SA. Now you have to push yourself. Every time you're thinking about avoiding something or someone, push yourself. Go through with it no matter how scary it may be. Make your desire to overcome anxiety stronger than your fears. No matter what happens, remember to give yourself credit for trying. Things will get easier and easier and you will eventually see that there is nothing to be afraid of. I wish you the very best, Kiara. If you don't leave us then make sure to keep us updated on your progress. Your progress and experiences may become a source of inspiration for us all. :)

Serafina has said I better than I could so yeah just follow this advice, Perfect. I'd just add that I started doing things twice if I was reluctant.
Today at work I felt abit anxious but I just held my head up high. I'd always surprize myself that even when I'm feeling weak I'm still strong.
After a few awful years I'm now extremely grateful for my anxiety. When people around me are losing their head I find it easy to keep mine. :cool: I'm thinking I turned out pretty decent, my mammy would be proud lol ::p:

KiaraBlue

So like I thought..yesterday the weather was cloudy and s..ty as I like to say..so I was feeling that way and didn't left the house.. But today sun is shining and I spent 2-3 hours on a drink with girls. I hate that my mood depens so much of the weather! How can I change that?? Maybe I have to move somewhere where is shiny 365 days.. :rolleyes:

Nice to see all the inspirational posts and know that SA can be beaten :) I'm stuck on "level 1" at the moment :p and whenever I push myself it always turns out badly which doesn't help my self-esteem :( but reading how some of you have changed your lives for the better gives me hope :) Thank you!

KiaraBlue

Who's that someone? :D Or you mean no one would be happy if you moved here? Maybe you would? :)

Heh..someone ::p:

I would definitelly like to see what it's like to live there..but I doubt I will ever get visa..:D Is it really that difficult to get a visa and move there?

Waybuloo

In the big scheme of things it would seem i have accomplished a few things I would not predict that I could, given the SA. When you take things one step at a time they are manageable. However my SA is still there, and going strong. But it must be a good thing that I made accomplishments despite it.

The few times in my life where I've felt near invinsible is when I had a clear plan, and I was determined to get somewhere. So it helps to have direction, which gives you confidence, a sense of purpose, and a reason to be alive, which all combat negativity.

EasySkankin

Heh..someone ::p:

I would definitelly like to see what it's like to live there..but I doubt I will ever get visa..:D Is it really that difficult to get a visa and move there?

I don't know, but I know a lot of people that live here on visas... so I would say no, it's not hard :). Hey - it's a beautiful place really... I don't really go out much but I still love it :)

RossMc

I have partially. Basically, between age 21 and age 30, I went from severe to moderate. Let me tell you what helped- (1) Reading all kinds of psychology books- Understanding the causes of behavior helped me to gain control of it, (2) I found that two things especially helped- support groups and cognitive therapy of the kind where you have a sort of book where you write a daily journal and do little assignments, (3) Living in a big city during that time, Boston, which was very diverse and fun. Its easier to be weird in a big city, since a lot more of the people there are out of their depth, in the fish out of water sense, since big cities are filled with just off the boat immigrants, students who are away from home for the first time etc. ;):cool:After age 34, I have lived in the suburbs, and I have found that they are harder places to meet people. (4) Modest self-medicating with alcohol, caffeine, food, and tobacco helped take the edge of my anxiety, and made socializing easier.

KiaraBlue

I have partially. Basically, between age 21 and age 30, I went from severe to moderate. Let me tell you what helped- (1) Reading all kinds of psychology books- Understanding the causes of behavior helped me to gain control of it, (2) I found that two things especially helped- support groups and cognitive therapy of the kind where you have a sort of book where you write a daily journal and do little assignments, (3) Living in a big city during that time, Boston, which was very diverse and fun. Its easier to be weird in a big city, since a lot more of the people there are out of their depth, in the fish out of water sense, since big cities are filled with just off the boat immigrants, students who are away from home for the first time etc. After age 34, I have lived in the suburbs, and I have found that they are harder places to meet people. (4) Modest self-medicating with alcohol, caffeine, food, and tobacco helped take the edge of my anxiety, and made socializing easier.

Thank you very much for your post. :)

Btw, I am still in very good period.. now I have other problems heh..always something.
I started working...I am making new plans every day..soon I'm going to short vacation again...this time not to rest but to party yeey :D
And u people keep posting.. :)

Last edited: