Any amateur astronomers here?

Aron

I know this is a long shot, but maybe there's someone here who likes looking at the stars.

I was always amazed by the night sky, the stars, anything space related really. I'm recently thinking about buying my first telescope. Would be nice to chat with someone of the same interest.

O'Killian

In 3rd grade, I wanted to be an astronomer. I corrected a substitute teacher when she said that the sun doesn't move (since a book had told me it does in fact revolve around the center of the galaxy). In 5th (or maybe 6th?) grade, when we had multiple periods instead of a single teacher, the science teacher was big on space as well. We had a night that year where parents and anyone else interested brought telescopes to the field behind the school and stargazed. My parents actually bought a fairly nice telescope - that no longer functions, unfortunately. I've always enjoyed the night sky and miss it here in the light-polluted city. I wouldn't say I'm an active amateur astronomer, but I would love to be if I had the time, money, and lived somewhere the view was better.

I'm also pretty interested in anything space-related, from theoretical physics and outright sci-fi to the Mars missions and those poor sobs seriously talking about mining asteroids. Usually I'm more about the fantastic, which includes both fiction and the actual crazy exoplanets we keep finding.

ImNotMyIllness

I don't know enough yet to chat about it. But, I also wanted to get a telescope. Once I'm back to work, I think I'll join some night gazing events and see how the pros use their telescopes. I want to be able to identify constellations and even use them to navigate. I would love to be able to look at some of the planets as well.............one day!

aNOTfox

I remember when I was young after I saw the movie "Dragonheart" I really did believe that the constellation Draco was made up of dragons souls. ah memories xD

Earthcircle

I was an amateur astronomer as a kid, and I keep thinking I should get back into it. It's a good hobby for someone who is isolated, and I don't mean that in a bad way. In fact, now that I am living in the country and extremely isolated, I keep thinking I should get back into it. I understand a comet is sweeping near Earth late this year. So perhaps this year is a good time to learn astrophotography.

Aron

Wow, I didn't expect so many posts, especially not after 5 days.

So a few of you are already pondering about buying telescopes. That's good. I'm really on the verge of doing so, I just need to figure out what fits best for my needs.

I agree Earthcircle, it's a perfect hobby for people like us. I was talking to a colleague of mine who has telescopes and he's an active stargazer, and we established that almost all of the amateur astronomers are introverted / "lone wolf" type people.
He told me, that he just acquired a property with a small house on it in Zselic, which is an International Dark Sky Park in Hungary ( International Dark Sky Parks ).

Xervello

Yeah, keep us updated, Aron. Sounds great. Too often people forget to look up and appreciate the awesomeness dwelling above and around them. By any chance do you know of Neil DeGrasse Tyson? He's a brilliant astrophysicist. I love listening to him speak. About anything, lol. He's so intelligent, energetic and funny. You don't need to be a science geek to follow along. If you, or anyone else, is interested. Check out the video below. You have to wait out a little introductory thing, but once the Q&A begins, it's really fun! :)

SciCafe: Life the Universe and Everything with Neil deGrasse Tyson - YouTube

Aron

Hey Xervello, yes, well, I don't know him per say, but he had a few short appearances on the sitcom Big Bang Theory, and I've also heard from him somewhere else, but I did not watched him speak like in the video you linked. I will watch it later, I'm too tired for that now.

By the way, after weeks of researching and undecidedness, I finally took the plunge and ordered this baby:

41v0U-CiqWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It is an 8" Newtonian reflector, on a Dobsonian mount.
I can't wait until it arrives, I hope sometime next week.

Overload

I bought a pretty low-budget telescope and have only used it a few times. I'd have to take it somewhere for a better view, but from my house I've looked at the moon a couple of times. It was enough to see some of the more intricate details, and even though it pales in comparison to higher-end scopes, it was still incredible to observe something so far away.

coyote

i'm not an astronomer, and i don't have a telescope

but if you bend over, i can see Uranus

gustavofring

There's an observatory in my town and I'd like to go there some time. However I live in a really populated area of the world and there's probably a lot of city light blocking the view of the stars.

I'm quite fascinated by the vastness of space, it scares and amazes me. I also for a long time have had an interest in comets and asteroids (as a kid I was a big fan of Deep Impact & Armageddon) and the possibility of an impact in the future.

Aron

The telescope arrived yesterday evening, in two boxes, a huge one (tube), and a smaller one (mount). I assembled the mount quickly, and set the scope on it, but of course, we had full cloud cover so I couldn't try it out. It looks awesome,

But today the clouds broke up, and just 20 minutes ago I took a look at the sun (with the appropriate sun filter which blocks 99% percent of the light - NEVER look into the sun without the proper equipment!).

It looks awesome! Several sunspots can be seen on the surface. I can't wait for the night, I hope the clouds will stay away.

AGR

I want to get into,does anyone have a skyscout,is it worth the money for a newb like me?
I was thinking of buying that and some binoculars to start and see if I like.

Last edited:

Aron

I'm not familiar with the Skyscout, but binoculars and a star map (one that focuses on objects that can be seen in small telescopes and binoculars) is a great way to start and familiarize yourself with the night sky.