anxiety at stomach noises?

exquisite

i've always been sort of sensitive to being alone with someone, well, someone of the opposite sex, in any quiet area. i get extremely nervous & anxious about any noises my stomach might make. ive been thinking about this lately & i just dont know why i freak out about something that happens to EVERYBODY. every single person on the planet. & we can even control that. i'm talking like regular, hunger noises, or just gurgling, whatever. im actually getting nervous just by posting this on here, deff a first time for me, since i usually am completely fine with telling you guys anything about how i feel... this is so weird. i absolutely HATE silence, just because im scared that my stomach might make noises. i feel like if i ever had a guy over to my place or something, i'd need to turn on some music, or at least the tv, just to be safe... is that normal?

sullyS1985

i've always been sort of sensitive to being alone with someone, well, someone of the opposite sex, in any quiet area. i get extremely nervous & anxious about any noises my stomach might make. ive been thinking about this lately & i just dont know why i freak out about something that happens to EVERYBODY. every single person on the planet. & we can even control that. i'm talking like regular, hunger noises, or just gurgling, whatever. im actually getting nervous just by posting this on here, deff a first time for me, since i usually am completely fine with telling you guys anything about how i feel... this is so weird. i absolutely HATE silence, just because im scared that my stomach might make noises. i feel like if i ever had a guy over to my place or something, i'd need to turn on some music, or at least the tv, just to be safe... is that normal?

I completely identify with you on this post. Maybe not to the same extent but when it is quiet, im around girls and my stomach starts gurgaling or making noises i always think the girl thinks i just farted. I feel weird even sayin fart to you because you are a gorgeous girl so i apologize and please note i am very anxious saying it/typing it to you. The worst for me is in class, i am usually sitting next to a really gorgeous girl and her really gorgeous friends and I automatically assume they are making fun of me after class for passing gas in glass when it is really just my stomach. Ive thought about just letting them know it is just my stomach but that seems like it would be a weird situation as well.

Krista

Well I think I know what you're talking about, it never helps that most of the time when your anxious or nervous, your stomach tends to get more upset and makes all kinds of sounds. So it's like your constantly on edge because it won't stop but you can't stop your anxiety so the sounds continue.

exquisite

I completely identify with you on this post. Maybe not to the same extent but when it is quiet, im around girls and my stomach starts gurgaling or making noises i always think the girl thinks i just farted. I feel weird even sayin fart to you because you are a gorgeous girl so i apologize and please note i am very anxious saying it/typing it to you. The worst for me is in class, i am usually sitting next to a really gorgeous girl and her really gorgeous friends and I automatically assume they are making fun of me after class for passing gas in glass when it is really just my stomach. Ive thought about just letting them know it is just my stomach but that seems like it would be a weird situation as well.

:) aw, im not the only one. but see, i just dont understand why we feel like this, when it happens to absolutely EVERYONE. there is no one in this world who's stomach doesnt make weird noises (usually at the most inappropriate of times). but this fear of my stomach actually keeps me from being alone with guys.. how am i ever supposed to be in a relationship when i cant even deal with the natural biology of my body? :confused:

Well I think I know what you're talking about, it never helps that most of the time when your anxious or nervous, your stomach tends to get more upset and makes all kinds of sounds. So it's like your constantly on edge because it won't stop but you can't stop your anxiety so the sounds continue.

YES! this is exactly what im talking about! its like a never ending circle! ughhh

sullyS1985

:) aw, im not the only one. but see, i just dont understand why we feel like this, when it happens to absolutely EVERYONE. there is no one in this world who's stomach doesnt make weird noises (usually at the most inappropriate of times). but this fear of my stomach actually keeps me from being alone with guys.. how am i ever supposed to be in a relationship when i cant even deal with the natural biology of my body?

No you sure arent, and i dont understand either but ill tell you this, i sure would be alone with you even if you did make weird stomach noises. I didnt mean any disrespect or imply anything sexual by that either so please dont assume i did.

FOR REAL

Banned
i think stomach noises is pretty minor, i wouldnt worry about that.
you should live with me for a week. most of my stomach noises come out my arse, and thats only when my mouth is closed :D

Square_Eyes

This is something I had real trouble with during my first year at university. Back then I couldn't use the kitchen facilities in my flat because of the possibility that I might bump in to house mates. So I'd go to my lectures, usually having eaten nothing in over 24 hours, and my stomach would just be this gurgling time bomb just waiting to project it's dissatisfied rumblings across a lecture hall specifically designed to carry sound in to every corner of the room. You sit there, holding your stomach, alternating your posture and trying to control your breathing in order to keep it under control but it doesn't help.

Now I live alone and eat regularly the problem has become less severe but my anxiety still does horrible things to my digestive system and has done so for many years.

Last edited:

Mikey

I stopped going to my Biology class in high school because it was just me and a couple other students, so it was really quiet - and I was always so afraid of my stomach making gurgling sounds. Which, of course, would make me anxious and make the gurgling sounds start. And one time it was so loud one of the kids was like "WTF was that? You're gross". So I stopped going. lol

Phil_i

Haha yeah i totally get that. When I go to lectures I rarely eat first and my stomachs always rumbling and it makes me really anxious.

This has bothered me too, doesn't happen as often lately for whatever reason, time of day I guess, but in high school it was a problem every day. I've noticed with some humor that it happens to plenty of other people, though, so it's not exclusive to us phobes.

Come to think of it, it's probably more nerve racking for a girl than it would be a boy since girls aren't supposed to have bodily functions and all that. Can't believe I just typed that.

exquisite

This has bothered me too, doesn't happen as often lately for whatever reason, time of day I guess, but in high school it was a problem every day. I've noticed with some humor that it happens to plenty of other people, though, so it's not exclusive to us phobes.

Come to think of it, it's probably more nerve racking for a girl than it would be a boy since girls aren't supposed to have bodily functions and all that. Can't believe I just typed that.

ha but see, thats true. goshdarn society has made us believe that...& i feel like, in some way, this is why i have such anxiety about this. i cant be alone with a guy & have my stomach making obnoxious noises..but its a natural thing, so unless i wanna be alone, i gotta get past it.. anyone have any tips on getting over this?

planemo

I was exactly the same at Uni. But I became well, obsessed with my stomach making noises. The fact was that it was making noises, and unlike most of the things which I worry about this was actually happening, rather than me believing it happening. I remember that when I was writing an exam (with total silence around), my stomach started 'rumbling'. I thought look, you're righting an important exam, bugger your stupid noises now. So I convinced myself that only I could hear the rumbling, and that everyone else probably could not, especially since they were all supposed to be concentrating.

Eventually a huge growl came out of my stomach, and all the people in my close proximity starting looking around wondering what that was. So as not to implicate myself, I started looking around too.:D In hindsight it is pretty ridiculous, but at the time it caused me serious concern. After that incident I started coughing loudly hoping it would mask any sounds. I did ask a doctor what was wrong and he couldn't come up with an explanation. But I think it was due to stress and constant anxiety.