Answering the telephone

AimeeSP

Anyone else find this difficult? I've gotten more and more vary about it, to the point where I jump in fright if the telephone rings. Sometimes I unplug it for days so I won't have to worry.

Yessss! I always felt really weird for feeling the need to unplug the phone and when my family found out they looked at me as something they had never seen before... abit like this -> :eek: I'm getting better though, whey! :)

I dont like calling people, I will answer the phone depending on who it is though. Like I am suppose to be calling a therapist but I really really dont want to, though I need to, I have been putting it off.

lyricalliaisons

I keep my phone on silence 24/7, unless my mom's in the hospital, because just the sound of it terrifies me. My mom's in the hospital now & I have it on vibrate. Vibrate is a lot less scary for me to hear than a ringer, but I still hate it.

Pookah

It is hard to explain why I hate the phone but yeah I do too. I don't like having to sustain a conversation with a random person.

tregg

What's really weird is that if the phone rings and I pick it up my voice will be small and nervous or calm and strong depending on who is calling and I don't even know who is calling. Strong if it's a friend or someone I would enjoy interacting with or nervous and weak if it's something like a telemarketer. I have learned to just slow down and speak slowly. This lessens any fear.

Flowers-Of-Bloom

I get very nervous when the telephone rings. =(
I never pick it up, but if someone in my family answers it and says it's for me, then I panic. I really, really don't like telephones. I hate them. I wish I could just unplug it... but I can't.

dooby-duck

I hate the phone. The sound of the thing ringing sends a strange fear through me even if I don't need to answer it. I avoid using them most of the time, but at work I sometimes have to answer it. I'd rather communicate face to face to be honest.

Corsendonk

I avoid them as much as i can. Emberassed to admit, i sometimes flush the toilet when it rings, as to make sure towards my family that i couldn't pick it up in time. ::eek::

coyote

Answering the phone is not as bad as placing a call.

The more "personal" the call is the worse it is - especially if it's someone that I'm worried I have already - or will likely to - disappoint, upset, bother, etc.

I haven't called my sons in over a year.

Answering the phone is not as bad as placing a call.

The more "personal" the call is the worse it is - especially if it's someone that I'm worried I have already - or will likely to - disappoint, upset, bother, etc.

I haven't called my sons in over a year.

Same here. Placing an "impersonal" call to a business if I need or want to know something in particular is not nearly as hard as calling someone I know. And the longer you go without calling that person, the harder it is to force yourself to finally do it.

mrb

i have no problems on the phone whatso ever , i like talking on the phone im good at it ;)

xxaimsxx

Umm well even when i didnt have this problem i still wouldnt like answering the phone lol. I preferred face to face contact.

But yeah now i still dont like it. I had to speak to my nana for the first time in years the other week on the phone and i was kinda nervous. I get what you mean. When people come to the door i pretend i dont hear it if my family are out.. :/

I hate answering the telephone at the restaurant where I work. I remember having the same problem while I was working as a secretary at a private school. I am always afraid of saying something stupid or not understanding the language...

aisme

yeah...i also rarely pick up the phone and i cant make phonecalls.
i only answer the phone if it's from my mom. i dont even usually pick it up if my own friends call. i prefer sms (text) or emails...talking just makes me nervous!!!
my dad keeps saying "but the person on the other line cant even see you! what are you so afraid of?" well it's TALKING that frightens me...i dont care whether that other person can see me or not! i wish he would understand....:(

Exeunt

Right now, my biggest problem is making impersonal calls. I never know the rights words to say, so I spend half an hour composing my thoughts on paper. Even then, I'll start rambling like an idiot if I'm asked something unexpected, and the more I fail, the more reluctant I become.

tregg

Sometimes I have trouble talking on the phone Depends on who is calling. The really strange thing is when the phone rings and I pick it up my voice will be shaky before I even know who it is and other times when I pick up my voice will be strong and confident before I know who. When I'm nervous it'll be someone or a situation I don't feel confident with and when strong It'll be someone I can talk at ease with. This tells me there is some kind of psychic connection going on.

mikebird

Banned
I'm glad I found this thread!

The telly fone phobia has ruled my existence for the last 8 years. This is my biggest factor in SA. Without the phone, I'd be fine.

My life has completely changed. I published my CV widely. I like to get an email about an opportunity. The phone is a weapon of choice of a recruiter. When applying specifically about something, I have to wait for either phone to ring. When not, for a week, it put the self-esteem right through the floor. When the cell or landline rings, as it does now, as I write, it's too much shock to answer, put it makes life easier to ignore or cancel immediately, as I just do, right now.

I spent the last 8 years trying to get in the mood. Every time, I get:

1. silence. I speak. I hangup
2. they annoy me. I shout :mad:
3. I'm friendly. They hang up :mad:
4. They grill me :mad:
5. They have no clue what the job is about.
6. I let it ring. The other line rings. Who's that? Never any ID

It goes deep, and deeper :mad:

Psychotic mendbending test to gauge me as unfit for work or communication

I was fine with tough school exams and BSC Hons degree exams . Read. Write.

Never ready for this torture

My life is in the hands of recruiters who decide my suitability, by... oohh.. oh.. YES/NO

I am desperate to find a way to deal with this