Answering the door

Lotrsfan

Who don't like answering the door to the postman or in fact anyone? I don't. I think it was Wednesday when there was an knock on the door and my mum was out so i was the only one in the house. I didn't answer it and just ignored it. Then i realised it was the postman. I felt a little quilty because i could sense him writing out on of those forms at the door that they post through your letter box telling you that you were out when we were going to deliver your parcel et etc and that he had to come all that way to my house and no one was there or opened the door. My mum was a little mad at me and so was my dad because he had to drive to the mailing place or whatever it's called to fetch the parcel.

I also don't like answering the phone, even if i know who it might be or if my parents go out and they say "We'll ring you." Sometimes my mum will be out in the garden doing some gardening and i'm in the house and the phone would ring and my mum doesn't hear it because she's outside and i just ignore it and when my mum comes back in, i sometimes don't tell her that the phone rang because i know she'll be angry. Also if she's on the loo or something and the phone rings i don't like to answer it or even just hand it over to my mum whilst it's still ringing. I get freaked out when i pick up a phone incase it rings right when i'm holding it or something.

COALPORTER

I'm with you on this. I hate to answer the door and phone.
When the door bell rings, I'm scared to death.I almost go into a panic attack, I have shortness of breath and my heart beat races and tons of fear. As, I have no friends, so the person at the door is usually a saleman or someone asking for money and i'm really bad about saying "no" politley and I don't know how to handle people who are hard sell except for i feel like kicking their butt. I think this is because i am so shy and have a hard time sticking up for myself and lack social skills to deal with it civily.
Most phone calls are similar.

Sometimes my mom gets relatives to call and invite me over and i hate this because I think they are just doing this to be nice to my mom and they don't really want or like me. So, I don't want to answer the phone incase it is someone inviting me because i will only have to say no, and this really hurts me.

corrinaelizabeth

me 2,if theres a knock on the door and im alone i leave it,and if mum and dad r in i get them 2 answer it,same with the fone i really h8 it,and if mum and dad go out i say ring me on my mob thats the only way il answer it!!!

Ddarko

To me, answering the door is not nearly as bad as having to knock on a door myself. At least in the former case the burden to speak is on the other person since they approached your door and not vice versa. Same with the phone: calling someone else is much worse than answering the phone myself because the initial phases of the conversation usually rest with the caller.

Lonelyheart

I hate to answer the door because I have no friends; as a result, I know that whoever is at the door is a stranger. 8O

I have little difficulty making business phone calls. For example, calling to schedule an oil change appointment or calling to order pizza; however, I don't like to call people who want to engage in personal conversations.

Richey

oh i know all about this, also when im having dinner at the table if im closest to the phone i freak out if it calls and run to the portable in the other room, because chatting to a stranger or even family infront of everyone at the dinner table is like doing a presentation at school or something.

im not into talking on the phone at all , ive never been the sort who chats for hours to friends, because i cant always find the words in the moment.

good luck in the future, its all in your head by the way, you could wake up tommorrow and just not give a crap, not easy though

Predacon

I don't like answering the door, but if I'm the only one around then I will answer it. I don't want to take the risk of it being something important and missing it. But if its some of those religous people who come around with magazines I usually leave it, as it always feels kind of awkward talking to them trying to sound interested.

maggie

i don't mind so much answering the door...unless it's some repair dude coming to fix something..and i have to stick around to answer any questions and show them where stuff is.....yikes!! 8O

Nice2MeetU

I try to avoid answering both the phone and the door if it's possible, but the phone's not as bad coz there's no face-to-face interaction. However, if I know someone is supposed to be coming to our house, I feel like I should answer the door so that I get the whole saying "hello" stuff out of the way. I hate walking into a room where e.g. my Mum and her friend are and having to say hello to the friend; I'd rather just answer the door and get it over and done with, so it's no big deal if the friend sees me walking in out of that room or other parts of the house.

Waybuloo

I regret the fact that i didn't answer the door when a bunch of friendly primary school mates knocked and waited for ages to call me out for a game of basketball. I cowered on the other side afraid to move an inch in case they heard me, while they knocked persistently. I spent the next few hours in regret and listened to the fun that i could've had if only i had not rejected for no apparent reason a friendly invitation. That is where my avoidance behavoiur started to grow.

I haven't had any knocks on my door for ages.

Starry

I hate answering the door. All last week we were expecting a delivery, but typically they only came when I was on my own. I tried to answer it once (They came three times in total) but I couldn't, I started shaking and hyperventillating. Whenever someone knocks the door I run and hide in the cupboard under the stairs :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :roll: I hate it when the window cleaner comes, I'm stuck in there for ages. 8O :roll: lol

I don't answer the phone either, unless it's my mum or my sister. (We have a caller display phone so I know who it is :wink: )

Sacrament

I only answer the door after I find out who it is through the window. I have no problem with postmen or pizza delivery guys, although I don't want other people to look at me while I'm getting a pizza (probably because I feel guilty for eating one).

The phone is pretty meh, no problem with it either.

Hocuspocus

I never answer the door or the phone. When I'm at home by myself i lock and bolt the front door and stay at the back of the house with the blinds down so no one knows I'm in. Writing it down makes me realise how bad i am but i still can't build up the courage to make a doctors appointment.

Predacon

I don't usually have a problem answering the door, although I do get a bit more cautious when it gets dark.

gsmax5

Who don't like answering the door to the postman or in fact anyone? I don't. I think it was Wednesday when there was an knock on the door and my mum was out so i was the only one in the house. I didn't answer it and just ignored it. Then i realised it was the postman. I felt a little quilty because i could sense him writing out on of those forms at the door that they post through your letter box telling you that you were out when we were going to deliver your parcel et etc and that he had to come all that way to my house and no one was there or opened the door. My mum was a little mad at me and so was my dad because he had to drive to the mailing place or whatever it's called to fetch the parcel.

I also don't like answering the phone, even if i know who it might be or if my parents go out and they say "We'll ring you." Sometimes my mum will be out in the garden doing some gardening and i'm in the house and the phone would ring and my mum doesn't hear it because she's outside and i just ignore it and when my mum comes back in, i sometimes don't tell her that the phone rang because i know she'll be angry. Also if she's on the loo or something and the phone rings i don't like to answer it or even just hand it over to my mum whilst it's still ringing. I get freaked out when i pick up a phone incase it rings right when i'm holding it or something.

Yeah, I'm just like that for both the door and the phone. I usually hide when someone answers the door, I'm afraid the guy will see me and say "hi". Lol. But seriously, I hate it when people say "hi" to me because I hate using my voice to say "hi" back.