Ambition, curiosity, and other things troubling me

Ithior

I was going to post this in the random thoughts/feelings thread but I thought it would fit better here, since I wrote a lot more than I was intending to in the first place.

I was wondering if the reason I don't have any ambition in terms of career and that the only thing I actually want in my life is to have a happy family (myself as the dad in this case) is my current family (myself as the son in this case).

I wrote a huge wall of text about it (which I then deleted to write this instead) and realised that it's most likely not related. I still don't understand why I have no ambition. I'm always reading stuff here about people who do bad at school or something but they love learning and are very curious about many things. I've never been like that and I don't have that natural tendency to learn things. When I waste time on the internet, I don't do it on Wikipedia pages like many people say they do. I waste it on checking the same few pages time and time again waiting for updates on stuff that isn't even relevant to me. If there's an update, I'll probably just read the title.

I don't have any subject that I love knowing more about (school or not, doesn't matter). I don't have any hobby that I love doing. When I think about what I want to do when I grow older, I never have a job idea in my head. All I have is the thought of being with my future wife in a comfortable house. That's it.

It's not necessarily a bad thing but it feels like I should have some sort of idea of what I'd like to do as a job, or at least of the things I like.
Then I just read quotes like the one in the signature of another user (it was the last post in the thread I was originally going to post this in),

"It is simply this: do not tire, never lose interest, never grow indifferent—lose your invaluable curiosity and you let yourself die. It's as simple as that. - Tove Jansson"

and when I read stuff like that I think that I never really had any interest to begin with, I've always been indifferent to knowledge in general. I've never been a curious person. "Lose your invaluable curiosity and you let yourself die" - does that mean I'm already dead, and that I have been dead all this time?

Obviously I don't think I'm dead, but it makes me feel like I'm missing out on something. It also complicates my life in terms of motivation to do things since my only dream doesn't seem related to whatever I need to do.

I don't really know where I'm trying to get with this, but maybe someone can help me.

Silatuyok

You have the desire to start a family; I think that's a pretty big ambition. If that's where you would find your happiness in life, then who's the say that you need anything more? There are a lot of intellectual and curious people on this forum, but that doesn't in any way man that everyone has to be that way. Some people are just content with life's simple pleasures, and don't need more. You will need a job, though, if you want to help support your family. But many people, even the ones who have lofty ambitions, end up doing whatever job they can get to support themselves and their families. So, you won't really be missing out by not having a "dream job" in mind. I think you should focus on doing what you need to in order to start a family. That's a noble ambition.

laure15

You want to be a family man (which is sort of a rare breed these days) and there's nothing wrong with this. The girl who ends up with you will be very lucky =)
To support your family, you need some sort of job, whether it be white collar work, self employment, farming, etc. I also remember reading a true story about a family (parents and a child) who lived mostly without money. So it is possible to make your dream come true.

Ithior

Thanks for the replies.
On the topic of the job, I think I won't have a problem finding one. A degree in Economics can get me a job in any sort of company. I also plan to do a masters since it's getting normal for people to have masters degrees in these days.

But my half-brother (who's 20 years older than me) was here a couple of months ago (he lives in England) and he was telling my sister and I how intelligent we are and that we had to give a significant contribution to our field of studies. Basically, we have the duty to make a difference on a large scale. My family doesn't really know I don't care much about my career and my sister thinks that big organisations are too corrupted (in her field of work that would be UN), so she wants to help smaller communities instead.

Do you think someone with the potential to change the world for better (not saying that's my case) should do it regardless of how they feel about it?