Amazon Package Shipping: Theft Paranoia

State_Of_Trance

I've got an Amazon package scheduled to arrive at my apartment Wednesday. Unfortunately, it's probably going to rain and I'll be at work when it gets here. There's really no where that the UPS guy could put it other than on the front door.

Here's the real thing, though. A maintenance guy from the apartment people will be coming by to clean something. If he arrives after the package has been dropped off, it'll be there. Is it totally absurd for me to imagine that he might steal it? If he took something from inside the house that's different because I would know it was him. With the package on the other hand, he could take the package and theoretically it could have been anyone.

Thought about getting it shipped to the apartment office elsewhere in town, but it looks like Amazon doesn't let you change the destination after the thing has begun shipping.

Is this a silly fear? I mean, from the outside it's just a small box. Why would he bother to do anything with it? How often do maintenance people actually do anything bad at decent apartment complexes? Should I just leave a note for the person inside telling them to move the package in if it's out there?

Again, I'm just venting concerns. I'm being crazy like this because the thing is actually pretty expensive.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Phoenixx

Your fear isn't silly at all. When I lived in an apartment in the city, I worried about that too, someone stealing shipped packages. I didn't live in too kind of a neighborhood either. Thankfully I had a really nice neighbor that lived across the hall from me and we kinda just looked out for each other. If a box of his came in, and was just sitting outside by the door, I'd bring it in and put it by his doorstep. He did the same for me. If you're really concerned, I would definitely leave a note somewhere to notify.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I've got an Amazon package scheduled to arrive at my apartment Wednesday. Unfortunately, it's probably going to rain and I'll be at work when it gets here. There's really no where that the UPS guy could put it other than on the front door.

Here's the real thing, though. A maintenance guy from the apartment people will be coming by to clean something. If he arrives after the package has been dropped off, it'll be there. Is it totally absurd for me to imagine that he might steal it? If he took something from inside the house that's different because I would know it was him. With the package on the other hand, he could take the package and theoretically it could have been anyone.

Thought about getting it shipped to the apartment office elsewhere in town, but it looks like Amazon doesn't let you change the destination after the thing has begun shipping.

Is this a silly fear? I mean, from the outside it's just a small box. Why would he bother to do anything with it? How often do maintenance people actually do anything bad at decent apartment complexes? Should I just leave a note for the person inside telling them to move the package in if it's out there?

Again, I'm just venting concerns. I'm being crazy like this because the thing is actually pretty expensive.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Does your apartment building have a main office? If so, you could leave a note on your door asking the delivery guy to drop it off there instead. I deliver pizza, and I'll often see signs as to what door I should go to, or for UPS guys as to where they should leave the packages.

State_Of_Trance

Your fear isn't silly at all. When I lived in an apartment in the city, I worried about that too, someone stealing shipped packages. I didn't live in too kind of a neighborhood either. Thankfully I had a really nice neighbor that lived across the hall from me and we kinda just looked out for each other. If a box of his came in, and was just sitting outside by the door, I'd bring it in and put it by his doorstep. He did the same for me. If you're really concerned, I would definitely leave a note somewhere to notify.

I see.

My neighborhood is pretty good I guess, so no real worries there. The next door guy goes to work just as I do, but I think I sometimes hear music playing while he's gone, so I guess someone might be staying home. If so, I could ask.

Here, of course, the SA creeps in again. I've only spoken to the guy twice when we randomly saw each other outside. Might feel weird suddenly talking just for my own selfish reasons.

But yeah, that honestly might be the best thing to do.

Thanks.

State_Of_Trance

Does your apartment building have a main office? If so, you could leave a note on your door asking the delivery guy to drop it off there instead. I deliver pizza, and I'll often see signs as to what door I should go to, or for UPS guys as to where they should leave the packages.

Snap, it didn't occur to me to leave a note telling him to take it somewhere else. The office is about 4.5 miles away, however. Is it asking too much to good his route a bit and ask him to take it over there?

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Snap, it didn't occur to me to leave a note telling him to take it somewhere else. The office is about 4.5 miles away, however. Is it asking too much to good his route a bit and ask him to take it over there?

Hm, does UPS have a phone number you could call asking? Going to a completely different address seems like something on the spot they may not do. On a days notice though, it might not be as big of a deal. The notes I usually see ask for deliveries to be left at a specific door of the house, or in the garage, or even next door. I'm really not sure though, sorry.

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
Call UPS and ask them to hold the package at the hub, then go pick it up after work. Just make sure the hub isn't too far away.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
If it not too late, and since you might not be in when the UPS fella arrives with yer parcel.
Could you not add another delivery address for the package on yer Amazon account and get it delivered to the alternate address instead?

Failingiling, just phone UPS as previous posts advise and explain the situation. They probably won't mind the change in address, as long they know yer reason for it.

State_Of_Trance

Did you get your package ok?

Yep!

I left a note saying that the since it was going to rain it would be best to put the thing in the big mail thing for the bunch of apartments and that if that wasn't possible I'd like it left back at the hub or wherever. The carrier was USPS, so they'd have a key to the mail thing.

When I got back it was raining a ton and the box was on the porch propped as close to the door as possible. The package was a little wet. It was so windy that, in all probability, my note blew away hours before the guy even got here!

I tore the package open and was pleased to see that not only was the inside perfectly dry, but also that the inside was filled with plastic and bubbles and paper anyway so I doubt that water was ever a real threat.

A happy ending! Of course, then I discovered that one of the discs was mysteriously scratched and grubby for a "never before opened" purchase...But it plays fine!

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Yep!

I left a note saying that the since it was going to rain it would be best to put the thing in the big mail thing for the bunch of apartments and that if that wasn't possible I'd like it left back at the hub or wherever. The carrier was USPS, so they'd have a key to the mail thing.

When I got back it was raining a ton and the box was on the porch propped as close to the door as possible. The package was a little wet. It was so windy that, in all probability, my note blew away hours before the guy even got here!

I tore the package open and was pleased to see that not only was the inside perfectly dry, but also that the inside was filled with plastic and bubbles and paper anyway so I doubt that water was ever a real threat.

A happy ending! Of course, then I discovered that one of the discs was mysteriously scratched and grubby for a "never before opened" purchase...But it plays fine!

Nice, glad it all worked out! :thumbup: