All-nerves newbie says hi

chatterbox71

Hi, All. Am so hoping this forum can become my social "safe place" when other parts of the world are just too much to bear.

I think if you met me outside of my home, you would not detect I had any problems. I think most people find me very approachable, easy to strike up a conversation with, and, in many cases, someone with whom they can confide if not develop a friendship.

At home, I'm pretty much a mess--and live IN a mess. Sometimes, I'm on top of things, and the house is in good shape and pleasant to spend time in. Others--usually when I am overwhelmed either by deadlines or with worry--I let everything go . . . dishes, laundry, general upkeep. The cats (of course there are cats, right?!) always get fed and watered and played with and loved; sometimes I wonder if I could muster up all that for a human child.

All of the above has been part of my life for some time. I was drawn to this list because of the frequency with which I've felt panicky in recent weeks/the last month or so. I think it's in part ironically due to the fact that I am taking a developmental psychology course and seeing a fairly good therapist--and so I am becoming more aware of what I missed out on, rearing wise, and how I stray from the norm (in ways I don't want to).

One of my greatest challenges is speaking up for myself and others--something I do regularly--AND THEN not feeling like a fragile thing, afraid of what the response will be (Sometimes, I wait days before opening an e-mail or before returning a call.). I can feel SO HURT by comments that others would shrug off, and I am sick of it. I think this stems from feeling like no one ever has my back even though I feel like I have others'. I feel a little like a feral human, even though on the surface I don't appear that way, have good manners, etc. My dad died suddenly when I was just 10, my mother pretty much lost it after that, I spent a lot of time alone growing up, and most long-distance family I cherished growing up has either passed away or really doesn't behave "like family". In many ways, my marriage is strong--but in many other ways, our relationship is not what it could be. I have zero relationship with my in-laws. I've had good friends--was popular in college--but perhaps now, in early middle-age (early 40s), when so many are "settled down", I don't fit the mold and have a hard time maintaining such ties.

As much of this introduction is "oh-woe-is-me", I think what would help me the most is just knowing one or two of you out there were cheering me on when things got tough. I would love to return the favor, as well, of course!

Thanks for reading this far, those of you who have. :)

Have a good night's rest!

MikeyC

G'day, chatterbox!

You seem to have all the foundations of a healthy life, and you're even going to a therapist and taking a course, which is a great step towards recovery. You have a wife and that's really good, as she will keep you grounded and you have that support behind you, as I'm sure you have hers, too. You stand up for yourself, at least from what I gathered - another big plus. You're well on your way to fighting the anxiety demons and living life to its fullest!

Silatuyok

Welcome! I tend to be really sensitive to what other people say, or even what they don't say or their facial expressions. It's easy to worry over stuff like that, even though it probably isn't nearly as bad as I think it is! I just try to remember that people are usually mostly concerned with themselves, so even if they do think something bad about me, they probably aren't going to dwell on it for long, you know?

Quietguy11

I think it's great that you are avidly putting the effort and work in to receive therapy. At first it doesn't seem like talking about problems/issues amounts to anything because the problems just resurface again, but therapy really does bring about understanding and knowledge, which eventually produces a healing in your life. Becoming knowledgeable abotu what it is you are struggling with is a power in itself because through knowing we learn how to counteract and combat against what before seemed to be an impossible chaos. Continue working toward improving on the weaknesses about yourself that you want to overcome. When it comes right down to it, it's just all about the work and effort you put in.

chatterbox71

G'day, chatterbox!

You seem to have all the foundations of a healthy life, and you're even going to a therapist and taking a course, which is a great step towards recovery. You have a wife and that's really good, as she will keep you grounded and you have that support behind you, as I'm sure you have hers, too. You stand up for yourself, at least from what I gathered - another big plus. You're well on your way to fighting the anxiety demons and living life to its fullest!

--Thanks so much, Mikey; I really appreciate your keying into what I'm doing that helps--even if that bit seems small beans in my mind. I'm interested that I came off as male to you, though of course don't mind. :) One of my challenges today was inquiring about a job, through an "informational interview" (i.e., I hadn't applied--just was seeking more details about the nature of the work.). The person had agreed to a call, but I still was fretting about how her tone would seem, and whether my call would irk her. It went OK, but I feel that no matter how nice I am, I always sense people are bothered by my inquiries about just about anything! Something I need to work on, alone and in therapy. Thanks again!

chatterbox71

Welcome! I tend to be really sensitive to what other people say, or even what they don't say or their facial expressions. It's easy to worry over stuff like that, even though it probably isn't nearly as bad as I think it is! I just try to remember that people are usually mostly concerned with themselves, so even if they do think something bad about me, they probably aren't going to dwell on it for long, you know?

--Thanks so much for empathizing with me, Marie--though of course I'm sorry you experience this, as well. Your angle is a good one, and I'll keep it in mind!

chatterbox71

I think it's great that you are avidly putting the effort and work in to receive therapy. At first it doesn't seem like talking about problems/issues amounts to anything because the problems just resurface again, but therapy really does bring about understanding and knowledge, which eventually produces a healing in your life. Becoming knowledgeable abotu what it is you are struggling with is a power in itself because through knowing we learn how to counteract and combat against what before seemed to be an impossible chaos. Continue working toward improving on the weaknesses about yourself that you want to overcome. When it comes right down to it, it's just all about the work and effort you put in.

--Thanks so much for keying into this great truth. I don't think I've gone to a therapist on a regular basis as much as I have in the last year--and it started off more centered on a difficult relationship I had with a family member. It's true . . . there seems to be a lot of regurgitation of things I've long since tired of--but I do feel like I have learned more about myself this go 'round than in the past, and maybe having the class helped with that. I'm starting to think that if we could bank on good therapists, most of us (not just on this site--everyone!) would do well to have regular check-ins with such a professional. If we were regularly examining how our behavior affects ourselves and others . . . the world could be a slightly better place.

May I ask your story?

MikeyC

--Thanks so much, Mikey; I really appreciate your keying into what I'm doing that helps--even if that bit seems small beans in my mind. I'm interested that I came off as male to you, though of course don't mind. :) One of my challenges today was inquiring about a job, through an "informational interview" (i.e., I hadn't applied--just was seeking more details about the nature of the work.). The person had agreed to a call, but I still was fretting about how her tone would seem, and whether my call would irk her. It went OK, but I feel that no matter how nice I am, I always sense people are bothered by my inquiries about just about anything! Something I need to work on, alone and in therapy. Thanks again!
I guess I kind of assumed you were male. Sorry about that. In that case, you have a husband who's got your back! :) I'm glad to hear the call went okay. Usually things go better than how we seem. :)