all about hiking

johan

hello:) this is my first thread so be nice :p
i wanted to make i thread that involves Everything about hiking.
you can post pic from a hike or things you have with you, whatever just it's about hiking:)
i am going on my first hike where i am alone and it's a week long trip.
i am used too hiking with someone but not alone so i am wondering if there are people here that hikes alone and if they have tips for me?
sorry for my bad English :kickingmyself:

johan

i am comfortable with the map and Compass:)
my parents has the route if something happens.
the thing i am worried about is that i get depressed and have no way to get help :S

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I hike alone all the time and once you got over the self-consciousness (people must think I'm a friendless loser!) I actually find it A LOT more enjoyable than with people, because:

It's a lot more simple
It's a lot more quiet
You can do whatever you want

If you're going somewhere you can easily get lost, I suggest buying a GPS. This way, you can mark a waypoint where your car is, or where your tent is, or where the water is, etc, and if you get lost you just have to ask your GPS to take you back there.

Depression won't kill you, and for help... Just be careful not to fall off a cliff or be eaten by a bear. :p

i am comfortable with the map and Compass:)
my parents has the route if something happens.
the thing i am worried about is that i get depressed and have no way to get help :S

There's that thing about being happy alone vs being lonely.

Where I am they recommend not walking alone (but plenty do) and taking a personal locator beacon - if you become terribly lost or injured, you can activate it and a helicopter will search for you.

I much prefer to walk alone, though I never go overnight, just a few hours. Having others around chases the magic away.

slimjim119

I love hiking. I'd like to hike the Appalachian trail. I've been on it near where I live. The whole trail is close to 2,000 miles and would take 6 months to complete. It extends from Maine to Georgia.

If the trails are marked, try to stay on them. Don't stray off too much. Here's a pic of a fire tower I must of climbed more than a dozen times.

Attachments

• tower.jpeg
    tower.jpeg
    15.1 KB · Views: 0

Kiwong

I mainly do day walks searching for wildflowers.

Well done for taking on the 7 day hiking challenge. Let some one know where and when you are going and for how long in case something goes wrong. Do some walks with your pack before hand to build up fitness.

Take enough batteries for the GPS to last.

Last edited:

S_Spartan

I'm a hiking lightweight.

I did my longest last year in the Appalachian mountains which was ten miles total.
Which I guess ain't too bad for a guy in his 40s.

But the most rigorous hike I've done was to a fire tower in the Adirondacks five years ago.
There was so much climbing.
And I'm still pissed because I lost all the pictures I took from up in the tower and it was incredibly scenic.

johan

thanks for all the tips:)
i will chack for a personal locator beacon:)
i have got a big interest in packing lightweight, i don't have alot of Money so i can't gett expensive new gear. i plan to save up for a new light bag and a sleepingbag:)

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Hi johan, welcome! I love hiking too. I'll be posting on this thread soon but I'm a little busy at the moment. Really interested to hear others thoughts :)

MollyBeGood

I lived for about 6 yrs on a small piece of land that back-up to a land-locked 80 acres of woods. I used to go into them all of the time exploring, finding arrow head pieces, taking photos, tracking animals. I never saw anyone excepts bears, deer and elk an occasional skunk. Mountain lions had dens in the rocks. My dog and I loved it! I miss it so much...*sigh*

MollyBeGood

I love hiking. I'd like to hike the Appalachian trail. I've been on it near where I live. The whole trail is close to 2,000 miles and would take 6 months to complete. It extends from Maine to Georgia.

If the trails are marked, try to stay on them. Don't stray off too much. Here's a pic of a fire tower I must of climbed more than a dozen times.

very cool! I guess you can live in some of those towers. I used to consider it when i was little :)

Kiwong

Burra_Nula_Cascades_1_zpscxwcmnmz.jpg

A place called Burra Nula cascades