Airports And Social Anxiety

As we all know, airports are insanely busy and hectic. Not to mention, those long lines and hoops they make you jump through before you get on the plane. I may have to fly soon, so I'm just wondering how you all feel in airports or what your experiences have been like. Also, how do you feel cramped with strangers in planes? I've been through the process and just can't stand it.

johnny 85

i went on holidays a few months ago. standing in the cue before leaving was nt too bad , i was talking to my m8s a lot. i think this kept me occupied. when coming back from holidays i somehow got a seat beside a total stranger on the plane. it was nt a very good situation to be in. i tink i said hi is all to her and den pretended to be asleep the whole flight home ::(:

Last edited:
I fly all the time because of school. It's kind of stressful. But also kind of fun. Yes there's a lot of waiting involved though so it gets a bit boring - so bring ur laptop.

i like to take pics at the airport:

2po6wyf.jpg

2ugie8g.jpg

kceg4.jpg

xzlgx.jpg

I love the atmosphere in airports..guess because I'm a backpacker/traveler and travel alone on frequent trips to random places..so I don't mind airports..airport security can be a drag..I loooove taking pics too (can't post any using my phone right now) I never really get bored or tense being around so many people because everyones so occupied with what they're doing, where they're going, reaching their next flight on time etc. I usually walk around look at planes, window shop, take pics and do other silly things..sometimes I'd sleep on the floor curled up against the wall in a semi-deserted area but I'm paranoid being a solo traveler someone might hijack my things while I'm knocked out. LOL but yes airports are fun. I don't like the plane. I usually sleep the entire time being so uncomfortable and surrounded by people and there's nowhere to go i'm pretty much stuck in a seat for so many hours..I can handle airports because I'm not forced to sit in one place..if I feel to crowded by people and start feeling nervous I can get up and move to a different spot. Nowhere to go on a plane besides the bathroom...

Emily_G

I'm fine in airports because no one knows me, no ones going to talk to me, no one cares, etc. If I talk to someone and stutter....who cares! I'll never see them again in my life!

westminster

I agree with you Emily. I love the anonymity in airports. Everyone is focused on getting somewhere or doing their job, so never feel the centre of attention.

That said, I used to have to go to the USA and the immigration officials didn't quite know what to make of my blushing and shaking...like I was hiding something!

Emily_G

I agree with you Emily. I love the anonymity in airports. Everyone is focused on getting somewhere or doing their job, so never feel the centre of attention.

That said, I used to have to go to the USA and the immigration officials didn't quite know what to make of my blushing and shaking...like I was hiding something!

Oh yeah, that could be a problem for me too. Stuttering is mistakenly associated with being nervous....like I have something to hide. I never travel overseas, so I didn't even think of this.

planemo

I was at the airport on Monday, and it was just a relief to get back home. So many people. I felt like hiding in a corner but I couldn't. I had to wait for my parents to get back from their trip, and for some reason the baggage was delayed so I had to wait with the crowd for over an hour. :mad:

Shift

I don't like airports. I'm always quiet and I'm not white, so people who work there think that I don't speak English and they make fun of me. It's irritating.

wth! do you fly every single day? :|

hehe I wish I could.

I left my hometown to attend uni. And I would usually make a round trip back to visit my parents every four months. Other times I have to fly to places that hire me for internship (i'm going to san diego next january)

Last edited:
Thanks everybody. I just feel really uneasy through it all, so I'll try to keep busy while there (I usually don't read in public because I'm afraid someone will ask what I'm reading and then a conversation will ensue). ha..