agoraphobic later in life?

caissa825

While I have always been shy/ quiet I was never agoraphobic until my 20s-- while pregnant I suddenly found myself severely agoraphobic with no obvious trigger. This in turn made the social anxiety MUCH worse. I would make plans with friends and cancel last minute, because the stress of both going out and having to socialize was too much to bear. Eventually I just stopped making plans and fell out of touch with the few close friends I had.

Did anyone else not become agoraphobic until well into adulthood?

does this have anything to do with changes in your body/hormones from the pregnancy? Maybe somehow that is linked to it?
And yes agoraphobia can develop later in life.

EricaTN

I developed agoraphobia when I was about 23 ...full blown...6 months after my first child. I went from doing what I wanted to not being able to leave the house....all over a panic attack....that scared me so bad...that I caved in to it. I am 38 now....I can go anywhere with anybody...but I can't go many places alone or just with the kids. I hate it because I want so badly to take my kids to the mall, which is about an hour away...to shop and look around..like "normal" moms...just me and them..but I get scared thinking...what if I panic and freak out and noone is there to help me. It's a bad feeling.

agoraphobickatie

i have just now developed it in may of this year at 21... it's definitely difficult, as up until now i have lived a 'normal' life, doing just about anything i wanted.. i've always been a worrier and had panic attacks, but it didn't stop me from getting out of the house, going to school, or doing anything i wanted... i have no idea what suddenly triggered my severe agoraphobia, one day i was at wal-mart and suddenly felt like i was going to be sick and panicked thinking "get out! get out!" haha... i drove home and didn't hardly leave the house for a solid three months or so.... i've been seeing a therapist since the summer and have been doing CBT.. i've grown to love my therapist, she has really helped me learn about my 'disease' and form my own way to overcome it... i've been forcing myself to get out of the house daily with my dad (or mom if she's over, she lives in another city) for the past few months and it's gotten easier and easier.. i have my bad days where it's hard, but for the most part, i can go just about anywhere now with a family member and feel comfortable; i just have to start working on my fear of getting out alone.. yikes! haha
best wishes to you all! :)

bigrob

Even though I have been treated for depression about a dozen years, and anxiety 4-5, I have only reached the point of near agoraphobia the past 6-7 months or so. And I just turned 38.

So I am pretty sure it can pop up at any time, or at least progress to that point over time.

NinjaLikesToast

I would say it's more common in older people than younger? Seems like mid 30's is when it really sets in for most people. I would also guess that when it sets in at that age, it's much harder to get out of then say if you were 18-20 years old. When I was 18 I quit school because I could no longer mentally handle it, and did not leave the house for close to two years. Thankfully I got out of that phase, but I feel it slowly coming back, as I never want to leave my apartment unless I have to for work..

seafolly

I believe I was 22 when mine fully set in. Like Katie I can go anywhere with someone, even a stranger! But I cannot cannot cannot go anywhere alone. On a good day I'll venture into my backyard.

I find it interesting that the presence of kids doesn't help. I notice a HUGE difference if I take my dog with me. She gives me something to focus on and no, she won't help if I faint clean away. She'd wander off or lie down and wait, haha. But having someone to look after helps me a lot. I'd imagine kids could have that effect. :) It's mind over matter, and I think you'd be so focused on, "No I can't pass out. Not now. They need me."