afraid of cash registers!!!!!!

LazyHermitCrab

as i'm filling out these job applications it usually says "must operate a cash register" i never used one and im really bad at math especially when i'm nervous. are there any videos or any good sites you know of so i can gain a general knowledge of how to use one?? :confused:

agoraphobickatie

they aren't so bad at all! most of them tell you how much change to give back, so that was good enough for me! i'm crappy at math, too.. well, with money at least! lol.. i've used them at different jobs and always got the hang of it quickly! don't fret, you'll be fine!! :)

LazyHermitCrab

The newer ones are easier to use that are digital. I used one manual one it it was hard to use. I don't think they use them anymore tho so your in luck.

manual does sound more challenging for sure, it just seems like there's soooo many buttons argh lol

LazyHermitCrab

they aren't so bad at all! most of them tell you how much change to give back, so that was good enough for me! i'm crappy at math, too.. well, with money at least! lol.. i've used them at different jobs and always got the hang of it quickly! don't fret, you'll be fine!! :)

ehh i can use the self checkout registers.. so that's a start i suppose :p thanks

Fighter86

In my previous job, I had to use one occasionally when my colleague was on leave and I had to relive her cash register duties. It was terrible for me, because for some reason, I always end up with a discrepancy, I don't know how that could have happened because I was always super careful, maybe I was just bad at Maths, I don't know.

Apple Strudel

Me too. I worked in many cash registers and we all shared them. But I dunno why I always got the blame when there's a shortage. Perhaps because i'm a newbie so they find it easier to push it to me? Anyways, I didn't pay for any of it though, in fact they asked the managers or shift leaders to pay for it.

It's so hard to operate if there are many people sharing them altogether.

I got twice operate the cashier system by myself and I didn't even lost one single cent. But there was one time I did lost an amount on my first day. But most of the time when i'm by myself, I did not lost a single cents.

There is always the politics, even in using the cashier system...*sigh*

Mikefly

it's really simple math on those registers and you only have to remember around 10-15 buttons ive worked in grocery stores and at gas stations. The only time i would get kinda nervous is if it was a big line and we were held up then people start getting frustrated but oh well that's life.

Remus

Staff member
I used one at starbucks and they are pretty cool, I'm dyslexic so the different coloured boxes for different items was a help.

Training for till at any job is usually very good and they don't usually put you in at the deep end.