Advice on botox for hand sweating please

ukchick

People on this forum may know about my daughter who's tried pretty much everything for her sweating. Currently she has been using Avert for 8months, this gives her about an hour each day of manageable sweating.
The next option for her is botox injections in her hands.
I would appreciate info on anyones experience of this..she is petrified of needles but just shows how desperate she is. Did it hurt?Did the effects last? Did you suffer comp sweating? Etc
Thanks so much

Englishman

I'm not sure if this is much help but I've read that people have had relative success with botox for under the arms, but not so much with palmer/plantar hyperhidrosis. I suffer from sweaty hands and feet too and I share your daughter's desperation, but unless you can get the process done on the NHS for free then I'm not sure if it would be a sufficient step to elimnate the hand sweating.. If you can get it for your daughter free of charge then by all means try it though.

0707129r

Not really worth pursuing I'm afraid. Very very painful, and botox only really works on the injection site. This means you'll have areas of no sweat, bordered by areas of normal sweat. No compensatory sweating, as the drug only works locally.

Depends on how many injections they do I suppose; NHS will be pretty stringent and the derm will try to talk you out of it. Also effects will only last for 4-6 months.

I'm surprised she's not seen better results with avert. She should try 2mg on a completely empty stomach and not eat anything / drink anything except water until the effects start to kick in, round the 4 hour mark. If this doesn't work, following these guidelines, then I'm stumped.

ukchick

Thank you for your help. She does take 3x 1mg per day and dermatologist advised not to increase this dose as she gets tummy and head pain some days.
The derma said they would do 20 injections per hand and is willing to give it on the NHS.

Sprawling

Just make sure the person doing the botox really has experience with hand sweating. Since your daughter is so highly resistant to most forms of treatment, proceed with caution. Gosh, I think we are running out of ideas what can be done for her.

CharlesN

I believe you mentioned the ionto was too painful for her which is a shame as it works for you. Sorry if I'm mistaking you for another mom. My experience with botox was that it is a trillion times more painful. I believe it was 50 needles to the palm and fingers of each hand with nothing but rubbing some ice on them beforehand as a "pain reliever". This was done by Dr. Solish, considered the foremost expert in my area - and when I went for a second opinion later, the dermatologist basically asked, well who did the botox. When I told her - she said, oh, well he is the best so if it didn't work with him don't bother. I guess everyone is different. My HH was/is never as bad as some on here. Caused social anxiety but never outright depression, suicidal thoughts or really stopped me from doing the things I wanted to do so you'd think botox woulda been a complete solution.

Anyways, noticed some relief the first time, but not nearly what they claimed and the cost of it plus the hassle and pain made me give up on it after 2 treatments. I woulda endured the pain, time and cost if it was 100% effective for even 3 months at a time. Money and time and pain weren't really ever an object as I'm guessing it's probably not a big consideration for most of us compared to the thought of a cure/solution.

Both my young daughters have it so I will be continuing to watch and hope for a solution for your daughter and one for mine when they are older and start to care about it. Right now, they are blissfully unaware that they are different and I hope that bliss lasts for a while...

ukchick

I believe you mentioned the ionto was too painful for her which is a shame as it works for you. Sorry if I'm mistaking you for another mom. My experience with botox was that it is a trillion times more painful. I believe it was 50 needles to the palm and fingers of each hand with nothing but rubbing some ice on them beforehand as a "pain reliever". This was done by Dr. Solish, considered the foremost expert in my area - and when I went for a second opinion later, the dermatologist basically asked, well who did the botox. When I told her - she said, oh, well he is the best so if it didn't work with him don't bother. I guess everyone is different. My HH was/is never as bad as some on here. Caused social anxiety but never outright depression, suicidal thoughts or really stopped me from doing the things I wanted to do so you'd think botox woulda been a complete solution.

Anyways, noticed some relief the first time, but not nearly what they claimed and the cost of it plus the hassle and pain made me give up on it after 2 treatments. I woulda endured the pain, time and cost if it was 100% effective for even 3 months at a time. Money and time and pain weren't really ever an object as I'm guessing it's probably not a big consideration for most of us compared to the thought of a cure/solution.

Both my young daughters have it so I will be continuing to watch and hope for a solution for your daughter and one for mine when they are older and start to care about it. Right now, they are blissfully unaware that they are different and I hope that bliss lasts for a while...
Yes,that's me...ionto was too painful for her. Thanks for sharing your experience of the botox. I guess the next step,then,is for me to keep pushing my daughter to focus on the short time she has daily of less sweat,as a positive thing.It looks like we will stay away from the botox until she's older.x

Newguy

Have you tried 'Oxybutynin Hydrochloride' tablets. 2.5mg dosage for each tablets. I have tried many methods also such as 'Anhydrol Forte' and Iontophoresis. This was the last thing I was going to try before considering surgery which I really didn't want to do. Fortunately these tablets worked for me and have been working since over a year now. If you already know about this and your daughter has taken these and it didn't work then sorry to hear that :( but if she hasn't then I think you should seriously consider this as it has helped me wonders with no bad side effects except the casual slightly dry mouth sometimes :)

Newguy

I have no real experience on Botox but as hyperhidrosis is one of these conditions where you have to list the Pro's and Con's of any treatment and see if the treatment is worth doing. As of now there is no definite cure so there's always doubt over any treatment. I come on this forum about once or twice a year to check for any updates on cures but there usually isn't any at the moment. But I like to hope there will be a cure in 10 years!